News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Bethpage Red
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:06:15 PM »
Has anyone out there ever played Bethpage Red? I have heard nothing but good things about the course and some have told me that it rivals some of the better private clubs on Long Island.
St. John's hosted a 54-hole collegiate invitational last weekend and Harvard shot 33 under par as a team! The crazy thing is that they only won by one shot. The individual winner shot 15 under. The course played just under 7100 yards to a par of 70.
I know scoring has been crazy low lately in just about everything but these scores seem off the charts low. No disrespect to Harvard but it makes you wonder what the big D1 schools would have shot.

[size=78%]Team and Player - The Doc Gimmler - 2022-09-10 (golfstat.com)[/size]

Philip Caccamise

Re: Bethpage Red
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
I've played it hundreds of times. It's very scoreable when you're on your game and these guys hit it so far they can take out a lot of the trouble off the tee.

That said, my college team played in said event 20+ years ago and the winning scores were around even par. These kids are GOOD.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 07:15:48 PM »
It has really strong 1st and 18th holes, easily better than the Black's in my opinion. Many of the holes are also doglegs which is not my favorite but adds interest off the tee. The course is presented in a way that is more fun to play than the black- less rough and deep, super fine sandy bunkers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:18:55 PM by Cal Seifert »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:17:45 PM »
Way more fun than the Black….by a lot!
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 08:57:07 PM »
My affection for Bethpage Red is high. Higher than that for Black.

Holes like the 4th, 5th, 6th(!), 9-11th, 13th, and 16-18th are among the best on the entire property.

Would love to see a proper restoration of the playing corridor for the 6th hole.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 09:21:22 PM »
My affection for Bethpage Red is high. Higher than that for Black.

Holes like the 4th, 5th, 6th(!), 9-11th, 13th, and 16-18th are among the best on the entire property.

Would love to see a proper restoration of the playing corridor for the 6th hole.

I’m shocked you didn’t mention 15!

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 09:22:32 PM »
Has anyone out there ever played Bethpage Red? I have heard nothing but good things about the course and some have told me that it rivals some of the better private clubs on Long Island.
St. John's hosted a 54-hole collegiate invitational last weekend and Harvard shot 33 under par as a team! The crazy thing is that they only won by one shot. The individual winner shot 15 under. The course played just under 7100 yards to a par of 70.
I know scoring has been crazy low lately in just about everything but these scores seem off the charts low. No disrespect to Harvard but it makes you wonder what the big D1 schools would have shot.

I love the Red, but it does not come close to the top clubs on the island.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 08:30:44 PM »

I love the Red, but it does not come close to the top clubs on the island.

About two hours or so depending on traffic.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Matthew Galloway

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 08:47:20 PM »
I actually played in St John's event at Bethpage red in 2007. Our DII team at UWF actually won the event shooting -10 with a teammate winning individually at -10 as well. One of the more funny memories from the event was actually playing a lot that tournament with a young Keegan Bradley.

Hard to remember much from 2008. Aside from one crappy day of weather and Keegan cutting corner after corner the doglegs. Some of the holes in the middle of the course felt repetitious but I went away really enjoying the course at the end of the week. Even got to play the roadside holes of black early before our practice round.

Best part of the whole trip was playing National, Shinnecock and Maidstone thanks to my Argentinian teammate who caddied at maidstone every summer.  Sebonack was just being completed or done at the time. All honesty, that trip in 2007 is what lead me to this site in the first place reading up on National Golf Links.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back