News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Robert Trent Jones Sr. classic updated and restored to glory
VALENCIA, Calif. (Oct. 11, 2022) - Valencia Country Club—a private membership club owned and operated by Arcis Golf and located north of Los Angeles in the Santa Clarita Valley—has re-opened its golf course following an extensive seven-month renovation.
The course, which opened in 1965, was originally designed by the legendary Robert Trent Jones Sr. and the recent renovation restores the layout’s classic design features. The LA Open (now The Genesis Open) was held at Valencia Country Club in 1998 and 1999.

The architectural firm of Fry/Straka Global Golf Course Design worked closely with Arcis Golf’s construction and agronomy teams to restore Jones’s original intent and historic significance, reduce water use, and enhance the strategic options that were the centerpiece of Jones’s vision. Tees and many bunkers were renovated to improve conditioning and make the course more playable for a wider range of golfers. All turf except on the greens was replaced, reducing irrigation needs by 30 percent. 

Read more:

www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2022-10-12/valencia-country-club-unveils-renovated-golf-course

https://www.valenciagolfclub.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Leahy

Re: Valencia Country Club (RTJ, '65) unveils renovated golf course
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 05:55:53 AM »
If your interested in the agronomy of the renovation I urge you to use the link to the Valencia Golf Club site. It has monthly updates on the renovation also that are very interesting with pictures.
I started playing this course when it was public in 1979 along with its little brother the executive
course also designed by RTJ called Vista Valencia, the locals called them big V and little V.
I enjoyed the RTJ design because you couldn't just play to the middle of the greens, in order to get a fairly flat putt at a birdie you had to hit it near the portion of the green where the pin was placed and each green had at least four different miniature green areas.
There was an interesting history about it going private in the 90's I believe. A Japanese conglomerate bought the course for around $6 mil along with the motel next door. At that time golf memberships in Japan went for millions so this conglomerate bought the American course and made it private with minimal local members to pay for maintenance and would fly over about 100 Japanese members and shut down the course for a month to only those Japanese members several times a year and put them up at the motel next door. They even added a sushi restaurant to the motel for their guests. Most of the year you could drive by the course and it was nearly empty. ;D

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Cohn

Re: Valencia Country Club (RTJ, '65) unveils renovated golf course
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 12:21:37 PM »
This seems like a good project. And the contrast between the course and the exterior of the clubhouse will be delicious. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back