News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Opportunity for UK GCAers to try hickory golf at Hollinwell?
« on: September 10, 2022, 04:51:44 AM »
I’ve always been interested in trying hickory golf, but didn’t want to commit to buying the clubs etc and so have never seemed to get around to it. However, one of our members at Hollinwell (Notts GC) is a keen hickory player and has arranged for a hickory competition, which includes hire of the clubs, so I’m going to be giving it a go!

·        Its on Saturday 29 October.
·        Arrival at 10.15 for an 11am shotgun start.
·        To keep it fun, it will be a Texas Scramble format.
·        The cost is £70 per player, whether a member or a guest (so essentially guests are getting the green fee for free!) and includes club hire, food, prizes.
·        Food and entertainment will be provided afterwards, with a live band. Spouses are welcome to come along in the evening.
·        Period dress is encouraged!
I’m looking for 3 players to join me, but if there is more interest, I’m sure all can be accommodated?

Please DM me if you are interested, or reply to this thread.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

Re: Opportunity for UK GCAers to try hickory golf at Hollinwell?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 07:01:30 AM »
Great initiative, James.

I’ve hit shots with other people’s hickories a handful of times but played my first full round with my own set two days ago and I can’t wait to get back out with them.

The lack of ability to spin the ball like crazy really brings angles and slopes into play and avoiding greenside bunkers becomes primary.

The mate who got me into it had me play a Callaway Supersoft and it seemed a good ball for the spirit of the clubs. I hit a ProV1 towards the end of the round and it definitely made it a fair bit easier.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »
I learned to play golf using cut down hickories and all I can say is thank God for game improvement clubs  ;D  That said I might be tempted to have another go just to see if my memory is playing tricks.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 03:26:06 PM »
James I’ve publicised this to the Royal Cinque Ports hickory group. This years there’s hickory matches “against” Rye, The Collectors, Royal St George’s, Royal Lytham and Royal Birkdale.
Cave Nil Vino

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 04:49:32 PM »
What a splendid event. I’ve been playing with my own set of yee olde era hickories occasionally for a few years and really enjoy it.
Playing with yee olde era hickories, not modern day heads with a wooden shaft replicas, but the proper olde gear, is a great way to appreciate why olde courses were laid out the way they were. They’re not that difficult to play with either until you attempt bunker shots with a thin bladed club with no flange and no bounce.
One suggestion if I may be so bold … don’t let the green staff rake any bunkers on the morning of the event. Instead have them walk through the bunkers wearing their heaviest boots. That should give the participants more of an appreciation of what yee olde era golf was really like and why bunkers were once hazards!
No tee pegs either. Buckets of sand on each tee instead.
Hope all participating have a great day.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back