News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek Holland

The Return Of High Pointe
« on: September 09, 2022, 10:21:56 AM »

David Wuthrich

Re: The Return Of High Pointe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 12:13:28 PM »
That would be great news!

Great that Tom is involved!

Noah Jurik

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »
I never got the chance to play it, but Mr. Doak graciously agreed to show me around the property last spring. The land is incredible! I'm very excited about the prospect of a great course being resurrected in my hometown. Here's a photo of #11 green from April '21.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 01:28:01 PM by Noah Jurik »

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 02:24:38 PM »
Noah,

Were you flying a drone?  Any other lower altitude shots to give more perspective there or elsewhere on the old back 9?

Aerial view is fairly benign versus standing on 11's tee, knowing the elevated table top green awaits your shot.

Can't wait to see something in two years...  I hope the locals who supported it in the past get a reasonable shot at access in the future!   

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
I have been laying low on this because we have to get a zoning change from Acme Township, and they can be difficult on such things.  There's a public hearing next week, and we'll have a better idea where we stand.

The client's name is Rod Trump, and you would have thought that any publication worth its salt would use the headline "Trump hires Doak to resurrect High Pointe".  But no!

DFarron

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 04:56:12 PM »
Congrats! Michigan just keeps getting better for golf…

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 06:51:55 PM »
I have been laying low on this because we have to get a zoning change from Acme Township, and they can be difficult on such things.  There's a public hearing next week, and we'll have a better idea where we stand.

The client's name is Rod Trump, and you would have thought that any publication worth its salt would use the headline "Trump hires Doak to resurrect High Pointe".  But no!

You had me at "Acme Township". :)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Greg Hohman

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 08:45:27 PM »
It’s not too late to rename the thread “Trump hires Doak to resurrect High Pointe.”
newmonumentsgc.com

Brett Meyer

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 06:18:45 AM »
I remembered hearing at some point in the past that there were plans to add a third nine at High Pointe. If that's correct, is this new nine to the east on that land or was that different land? If it's the same land, is it the same routing?

It's hard to see the details on the routing map, but it looks like this routing incorporates the pond from the old 18th hole. I didn't mind the old 18th hole but it was brutal if you didn't hit a good drive. It looks like this version does away with the weak part (the drive) and keeps the strong part (the shot over the pond) and I wonder what Tom thinks about having a second take on this hole if I'm seeing it correctly.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 10:33:32 AM »
I remembered hearing at some point in the past that there were plans to add a third nine at High Pointe. If that's correct, is this new nine to the east on that land or was that different land? If it's the same land, is it the same routing?

It's hard to see the details on the routing map, but it looks like this routing incorporates the pond from the old 18th hole. I didn't mind the old 18th hole but it was brutal if you didn't hit a good drive. It looks like this version does away with the weak part (the drive) and keeps the strong part (the shot over the pond) and I wonder what Tom thinks about having a second take on this hole if I'm seeing it correctly.

Hi Brett:

I did a plan for a third nine holes in 1988, but the owners never pursued it beyond that.  Somehow I still managed to save a copy of that routing for all those years - even though I remembered it pretty well, too.  I thought at the time that part of the land [east of the original clubhouse] would be a better fit with the back nine than the front nine was, and when we started discussing the new project, I volunteered that we could build 18 holes behind the hops farm without tearing up much of the crop.  And, yes, I'm using the same routing for those nine holes . . . I did another version last winter but didn't like it as much as my original take.

The original 18th hole was very frustrating to most players, partly due to a wetland delineation that I hadn't predicted correctly.  So, indeed, I'm happy to get it out of there.  In fact, the original 16th-17th-18th are all changing, as I can eliminate the long walk from 15 to 16 by building two new holes south of 11-14.

There were some really good holes on the old front nine, too, but I do think the new version will be better for eliminating the two weakest holes on the original course.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 10:53:40 AM »
Good news! A foundling returns! This could be the high point of Tom's career!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »
 8)  Maybe even a "Masterpiece" contender!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 03:18:33 AM »
Would love to remove it from my NLE (No Longer Exists) category!!

Noah Jurik

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 10:30:11 AM »
Noah,

Were you flying a drone?  Any other lower altitude shots to give more perspective there or elsewhere on the old back 9?

Aerial view is fairly benign versus standing on 11's tee, knowing the elevated table top green awaits your shot.

Can't wait to see something in two years...  I hope the locals who supported it in the past get a reasonable shot at access in the future!

Here's a shot of #10 from the ground

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 10:40:29 AM »
Seeing those pictures is like looking at a corpse. I played HP half a dozen times. It was much more affordable than its neighbor across the street, less penal, and more fun. It took a couple of plays to appreciate it because it was unlike most of the courses I had played at that time.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Schott

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 08:45:01 PM »
This is great news as I played the original 4-5 times before it's demise. The front 9 was my favorite as the land was more links like as opposed to the more isolated holes of the back. I'm sad that it will be private though as I doubt I will be afforded the opportunity.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 09:09:22 AM »

Hot Rod Trump comes to the rescue. Tell him I said hi. He was a BCC guy for many years before he moved to Florida.
Mr Hurricane

Brett Meyer

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 09:57:25 AM »
Hi Brett:

I did a plan for a third nine holes in 1988, but the owners never pursued it beyond that.  Somehow I still managed to save a copy of that routing for all those years - even though I remembered it pretty well, too.  I thought at the time that part of the land [east of the original clubhouse] would be a better fit with the back nine than the front nine was, and when we started discussing the new project, I volunteered that we could build 18 holes behind the hops farm without tearing up much of the crop.  And, yes, I'm using the same routing for those nine holes . . . I did another version last winter but didn't like it as much as my original take.

The original 18th hole was very frustrating to most players, partly due to a wetland delineation that I hadn't predicted correctly.  So, indeed, I'm happy to get it out of there.  In fact, the original 16th-17th-18th are all changing, as I can eliminate the long walk from 15 to 16 by building two new holes south of 11-14.

There were some really good holes on the old front nine, too, but I do think the new version will be better for eliminating the two weakest holes on the original course.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. Interesting to go back to a routing that you did over 30 years ago. Is it gratifying or frustrating to find that you can't improve on the work of your younger self? ;D

I'm curious: I'm assuming 18 was one, but what did you think the other weakest hole in the original 18 was? There were several on both the front and back nine that I liked more than others, but there wasn't one other than 18 that stood out as questionable. Maybe 9?

In any case, I'm glad that the 13th green will exist again. I thought that was the biggest loss to the golf world in losing the course.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 10:08:35 AM »
Raining on the parade .... What will be different about HP 2.0 that may insure its long term success?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Raining on the parade .... What will be different about HP 2.0 that may insure its long term success?

A different business model, and stronger financial backing.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 08:57:11 AM »

A different business model, and stronger financial backing.

Sorry TD, did not read the article

National Membership seems the way to go.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:07:00 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 11:13:18 AM »
 8)  for those interested in the nuances of Master Planning Commission submissions like in Acme Township, here's a link to Minutes of their meetings, need to go about half way through to see the details addressing High Pointe's "Resurrection"

https://www.acmetownship.org/uploads/2/4/3/0/24300134/9.12.2022_pc_packet.pdf

The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 12:16:57 PM »
8)  for those interested in the nuances of Master Planning Commission submissions like in Acme Township, here's a link to Minutes of their meetings, need to go about half way through to see the details addressing High Pointe's "Resurrection"

The meeting was last night.  It seemed to go well, I don't think the planning commission is opposed to the project generally, but they want more plans for it than most local agencies request, so we won't have approval for a couple of months.  So excuse me while I go draw a cart path plan!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 06:45:56 PM »

Didn't see any details addressing HP resurrection. Interesting that there's two spellings for "marihuana". Learn something new every day...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 07:29:34 PM »
Mark,

It all starts on Page 33, and the plan itself starts on Page 62.  I love the sub-heading "Reincarnation..." as opposed to Resurrection   ;D

P.S.  Not sure if it was pointed out before, but looks like about 1/2 of the holes will be brand new on a new parcel.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back