News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Re: The Return Of High Pointe
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2022, 06:39:21 AM »
I played High Pointe, it was a very fun golf course that rounded out a perfect 36 hole day with Arcadia Bluffs. You can't beat Northern Michigan golf in the summer.

This is great news.
Last Ten Played: 
Maysville CC (KY), Ross Course French Lick (IN), Covered Bridge (IN), Trout Club (OH), Elkhorn Ridge (SD), Bully Pulpit (ND), Links of ND, Hawktree (ND), Dakota Winds (ND), Links of Lawsonia (WI)
Top 5 this year:
Yale
Culver
Hawktree
Charleston Municipal
Streamsong Blue

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 05:48:23 PM »
This is really awesome to hear on a number of levels.  Two questions:

Tom, will you be building this all yourself with a D3 as you did with the original?

and

Will the plan be to have it fine fescue and play as fast as legend describes? Unfortunately, it was way too thatched up and spongy when I finally got to play it as a Kingsley intern in 2006, but staff and others would talk about how crazy High Pointe played back in its early years before succumbing to resort-clientele pressure.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2022, 07:05:43 PM »
This is really awesome to hear on a number of levels.  Two questions:

Tom, will you be building this all yourself with a D3 as you did with the original?

and

Will the plan be to have it fine fescue and play as fast as legend describes? Unfortunately, it was way too thatched up and spongy when I finally got to play it as a Kingsley intern in 2006, but staff and others would talk about how crazy High Pointe played back in its early years before succumbing to resort-clientele pressure.

Question 1:  No, I've got a little more talent to help me than I did in 1987, especially Brian Slawnik who lives in Traverse City, and Don Placek and Bruce Hepner who have both volunteered to help.  But we are starting with six greens that I DID shape and don't intend to change much, and I did shape a couple of greens in New Zealand this winter to get back into the swing of doing it.

Question 2:  Well that's mostly a myth; High Pointe was never as firm and fast as The Loop and Kingsley are today.  It started getting thatchy pretty fast because they never did much to mitigate that.  I don't know who the superintendent is going to be if it happens, but the client loves the playing surface at Kingsley so I hope we will do fescue and try to keep it that firm.

Richard Hetzel

Re: The Return Of High Pointe New
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2022, 08:22:37 PM »
I think that I took these around 2008.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:04:08 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last Ten Played: 
Maysville CC (KY), Ross Course French Lick (IN), Covered Bridge (IN), Trout Club (OH), Elkhorn Ridge (SD), Bully Pulpit (ND), Links of ND, Hawktree (ND), Dakota Winds (ND), Links of Lawsonia (WI)
Top 5 this year:
Yale
Culver
Hawktree
Charleston Municipal
Streamsong Blue

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back