News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Fisher

UK course closures during the mourning period for HM Queen
« on: September 09, 2022, 01:52:44 AM »
Worth alerting US and other friends travelling to the UK to play golf that there will be possible disruption to schedules and openings over the next few days. Many ‘royal’ golf clubs will I suspect be closed today (Friday) as a mark of respect to the late monarch, and will very probably do so again during the State Funeral (whensoever that is). The wider sporting calendar (including the current Test Match against South Africa, and race meetings) has been largely postponed for today.

Much has been made of the (astonishing) fact that Churchill, Truman and Stalin were all in power when QE2 acceded the throne. At a markedly less serious level, Bobby Locke was her first Open Champion, and he had of course played in the championship prior to WW2. In so many ways, this truly is the end of an era.

Jeff Schley

Re: UK course closures during the mourning period for HM Queen
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 03:23:42 AM »
An icon certainly for her stamina , but also her grace.  May she rest in peace, with condolences and prayers to our friends across the pond.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 06:39:01 AM »
Richard

I've exchanged messages with the esteemed organiser of this years BUDA and he is already on the case. It would appear the funeral will likely be held a week on Saturday or possibly the following Monday and I suspect that whichever date, golf will be cancelled on that day.

With regards Her Majesty, she was certainly a remarkable person who lead a remarkable life. A life of selflessness and service that should be celebrated. The length of her reign has lead to many incredible statistics. For instance during her reign there has been something like 15 Prime Ministers, 13 US Presidents and 7 popes and she met everyone of them apart from Lyndon Johnston. I think my favourite though is that her first PM (Churchill) was born in 1874 and that her last (Truss) was born 101 years later in 1975.

Niall 

Mike Worth

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 04:31:40 PM »
Any thoughts about a UK course (Royal is part of its name) that earlier today booked a $300 visitor round to be played on 19 September — and then leaves an urgent voice mail 6 hours later saying that “we’re closed that day.”  Charges already appear on the credit card.

It’s been known for a day or two the State Funeral is 19 Sep.

Asking for a friend.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 06:10:24 PM »
Received an email from Dornoch this pm that RDGC would be closed on the 19th.

Does that mean just the Struie would be open...?... ;D ;D

Will be there 21-26 if anyone is around.

Cheers.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 08:36:51 PM »
I received an email this morning that all St Andrews Links Trust courses will be closed 9/19.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 12:33:36 AM »
I’d arranged to take three guests to Silloth on the 19th so called the club yesterday to check. They’re open.

Looking at the tee sheet the course is rammed with visitors all day. Clearly they see this as an opportunity!

Cavendish is the same.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 12:36:13 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back