News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Satterfield

Landmand photos
« on: September 08, 2022, 05:06:24 PM »
Here are a few photos from a recent visit to Landmand.

1st hole

3rd hole

Par three 5th hole

Par five 6th hole

Driveable par four 7th

8th

Punchbowl 10th green

[size=78%]
The mega fun driveable 17th hole

Green to tee look on the 18th[/size]

Tim Leahy

Re: Landmand photos
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 08:33:45 PM »
Looks like the foothills of Cali. Wish someone would build a destination course like this in the Cali foothills.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 10:56:41 PM »
Is this out in the Palouse?  It looks like my idea for a 50,000 yard course that would take days to complete the 18 holes...Hotels with bars and food would be scattered along the very long (par 36) holes.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 08:02:36 AM »
Looks like the foothills of Cali. Wish someone would build a destination course like this in the Cali foothills.
Could you ever get past the environmental assessments?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 08:26:12 AM »
Is this out in the Palouse?

North east Nebraska. Near Souix City, Iowa

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 09:05:35 AM »
Unfortunately, a course of this size, scale and terrain could never be done in California, or any other densely-populated state. There's too much demand for other uses of land.

I had the good fortune to play here a little over a week ago and although the pictures are good, they don't do the place its architecture justice. It's an exceptionally bold effort across a sizable canvas and deserves considerable recognition for its strategic interest. There are quite a number of truly exceptional holes that demand creativity and deft touch. 1-2 greens, and one might need some tweaking, but few, if any, modern courses open their doors without that.

Although, assured by Rob and Will that term bookings are full, I do have to worry a bit about their business model as it doesn't seem to be located especially nearby any large ardent playing population. I'd only cite Mike Keiser's theorem (now proven) that "one course is a curiosity, two course is a destination." I hope for everyone's sake that Landmand survives and thrives. It's most definitely a welcome addition to our golfing landscape!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

V_Halyard

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 10:00:02 AM »
Unfortunately, a course of this size, scale and terrain could never be done in California, or any other densely-populated state. There's too much demand for other uses of land.

I had the good fortune to play here a little over a week ago and although the pictures are good, they don't do the place its architecture justice. It's an exceptionally bold effort across a sizable canvas and deserves considerable recognition for its strategic interest. There are quite a number of truly exceptional holes that demand creativity and deft touch. 1-2 greens, and one might need some tweaking, but few, if any, modern courses open their doors without that.

Although, assured by Rob and Will that term bookings are full, I do have to worry a bit about their business model as it doesn't seem to be located especially nearby any large ardent playing population. I'd only cite Mike Keiser's theorem (now proven) that "one course is a curiosity, two course is a destination." I hope for everyone's sake that Landmand survives and thrives. It's most definitely a welcome addition to our golfing landscape!

Steve, I think you are suffering from East Coast population density bias. LOL. You're geographically golf spoiled but I still luv ya'.

The LGC is positioned well in relation to the Omaha, Des Moines, KC and Minneapolis Market. Also, it is a GCA focused public super course. There are plenty of private and GCA agnostic public courses within that radius, but there are few public GCA inspired super courses in that corridor of Landmand's magnitude. 100 Miles is not a thing in midwestern driving.  We'll drive 100 miles for a milkshake.  3-4 hours drive is more of a realistic measure. There is a plethora of great private golf in the Midwest but very few architecturally minded public super courses and they are pretty well distributed. Even the list of public classics is pretty lean.

Just naming a few PUBLICs off the top of my head, Chaska Town, Lac Labelle, Sand Valley, Lawsonia, Ravisloe, Erin Hills, Marquette/Greywalls, Wild Horse, Spring Valley, Cog Hill, etc and now Landmand. 
There are of course more and folks can feel free to fill this list out... but from a GCA perspective, given the population of the Mid West of Lake Michigan, the list is lean.

Folks will day trip 3.5 hours to Sand Valley from Minneapolis or Chicago, slam down 36 or 18 plus a Sandbox, and head home.  Same for Landmand. The sheer scale will invite plenty of traffic within a 4-5 hour radius and there are only 4-5 Tee times per hour so you can expect it to run at capacity.  It becomes part of an I-80 Golf trail. Folks in the Wisconsin/Illinois and western side of Lake Michigan are not afraid to hop in the car or drive cross country. It is already pulling in folks from Minneapolis. Shelman, Topp and Craig will attest they could be shoveling snow with in a week or two. Definitely within weeks of Labor Day.
Landmand's season will last at least a month longer on both sides.

Your 100 Mile line of demarcation is an East Coast limitation.
In the Midwest, we'll drive 100 miles for a Spotted Cow beer, a supper club dinner date with a fish fry, and a drive-in movie .
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 03:12:22 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 10:14:12 AM »
Vaughn is correct about suffering from East Coast population density bias...just as he from occasional delusions of various magnitudes! :`)

I sincerely hope his scenario of folks driving a ways for such an adventure wins. Rob, Tad, Will, et.al. definitely deserve to see their efforts go rewarded.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:25:25 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

V_Halyard

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 10:22:41 AM »
Vaughn is correct about suffering from East Coast population density bias...just as he is from occasional delusions of various magnitudes! :`)

I sincerely hope his scenario of folks driving a ways for such an adventure wins. Rob, Tad, Will, et.al. definitely deserve to see their efforts go rewarded.
LOL I see what you're trying to do here and I will ignore it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:49:03 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »
V, I know what a Super Freak is but am confused by your term “super course.” Since not capitalized I assume it is not a defined term.  Please elaborate. 

btw I enjoy your posts.  All the best at the Midwest Mashie.  Well done!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:12:37 AM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

V_Halyard

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 12:56:44 PM »
V, I know what a Super Freak is but am confused by your term “super course.” Since not capitalized I assume it is not a defined term.  Please elaborate. 

btw I enjoy your posts.  All the best at the Midwest Mashie.  Well done!
I made that up.
Let's say it is a course who's sole purpose in life is golf powered by some advanced form of golf course architecture.
Not necessarily focused on houses, condos, nor on course real estate. They can be part of the business model but they would be driven by the golf and golf architecture.
Accouterments on site are designed for the golfers. 

Greywalls is a great example. 
It's sole purpose for existing is spectacular golf. You cant build anything adjacent to it without dynamite.

With regard to "Super-Freak", Rick James' Couch would be a super course compliant accoutrement.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 08:41:11 PM »
Could you ever get past the environmental assessments?
The NoCal foothills are wide open with very few environmental impacts other than a handful of old oaks. Water availability would be the biggest downfall along with fire impact. Ask TD about that in the Napa valley. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 10:28:55 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:47:02 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 10:30:22 PM »
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/size][/color]
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 10:31:34 PM »
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 10:32:44 PM »
St. John of the Cross

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 11:28:24 PM »
Commenting only on photos, I wonder why they chose to have concrete cart paths that stick out like eyesores in many of the pictures. Even my home club in the Bay Area, built on clay, has eliminated most concrete paths.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 01:40:18 AM »
Hol' up, what's the front/back tilt on the "drivable par 4 7th" green? It looks like a ball wouldn't even come to rest on it anywhere, it would just feed off the front. Is it mowed at fairway height?

Place looks astonishing.

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

astavrides

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 06:28:00 AM »
Commenting only on photos, I wonder why they chose to have concrete cart paths that stick out like eyesores in many of the pictures. Even my home club in the Bay Area, built on clay, has eliminated most concrete paths.

One advantage to concrete cart paths is that my bag (and maybe some of my grips) are not covered by a layer of dust after a round, like they are when the cart paths are mostly dirt with some gravel on top. But maybe if there is enough gravel on the paths, that isn't an issue.

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 10:11:18 AM »

This picture is particularly interesting from a playing standpoint.  Other pictures indicate this little depression or sink is a couple hundred yards long in the center of a fairway.  My opinion is this feature will yield shots of great playing interest on occasion.  It is an unusual and bold use of a little crack in the land.  Very nice.

William_G

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2022, 12:26:14 PM »

agree with this....
so weird, obviously a cost thing
sad stuff!!!!!!!
It's all about the golf!

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »
Hol' up, what's the front/back tilt on the "drivable par 4 7th" green? It looks like a ball wouldn't even come to rest on it anywhere, it would just feed off the front. Is it mowed at fairway height?

Place looks astonishing.

Two of us hit our drives over the right edge of the bunker on the left and they chased out to the fringe.  It is a wild green for sure, but if you had the juice to reach the back it will feed back down in a bowl effect onto the putting surface.  In fact, using the backstop on the chip shot was the best play for the pin location we had that day.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 12:49:19 PM »

Place looks astonishing.

Two of us hit our drives over the right edge of the bunker on the left and they chased out to the fringe.  It is a wild green for sure, but if you had the juice to reach the back it will feed back down in a bowl effect onto the putting surface.  In fact, using the backstop on the chip shot was the best play for the pin location we had that day.

The course has a lot of sideboards and backboards that need to be used to get close to some pins.
St. John of the Cross

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »
John K,

Spooky how we were both immediately drawn to that cool feature on 3.  Almost like a cross between the sand rivers you find at Wine Valley, and the converging swale on Pasa 14.

P.S.  Love the Palouse reference too as I just returned from a trip to WA state.  Certainly a lot of similarities to the loess covered hills, which make for great golfing!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 01:59:17 PM »
I was fortunate to visit a couple of weeks ago. The scale of the place is very hard to take in from photos. For a little perspective, have a look at this photo of the 3rd hole. The four tractors mowing look like they have a full day ahead of them.

IMG_4444 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

I, too, really liked the look of the center hazard.

We didn't get enough wind to need all of the width, but it sure was appreciated. The width is not just there to flatter the player. It's easy to see how differently the course could play as wind and hole positions vary. It would take a long time to get tired of playing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back