News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Hoylake -- the Dowie
« on: September 08, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
Has anyone got a good old photo showing what the Dowie at Hoylake used to look like in the days when the OB was hard against the green?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Boon

Re: Hoylake -- the Dowie
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
Adam,

I think there might be one in the Hoylake, History of the Links book by Anthony Shone (one of the Latham series). I'll have a look and send you a pic via Whatsapp (rubbish at posting pics here these days!)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 02:46:20 PM »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »
Adam,

There's a photo of it in the "Mighty Winds ... Mighty Golfers" history book of the club. It's on page 68 with caption "The 7th green covered in sand, 1894".

I've given up trying to post photos here, but send me your mobile number by PM and I can forward it to you via WhatsApp.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:13:08 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 06:09:18 PM »
Has anyone got a good old photo showing what the Dowie at Hoylake used to look like in the days when the OB was hard against the green?

Adam:

I'm sure I have a couple of photos of it from playing golf with John Graham in 1982.  But they will be slides, and I don't have someone handy to scan them if you are in a hurry.  Email me if you want me to send them out to be scanned.  [And I will check to see if I might have scanned one for my books.]

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »

I managed to get Flickr working; here's the photo from the "Mighty Winds ... Mighty Golfers" book.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back