News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Dunfanaghy or Portsalon ?
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2022, 10:58:19 AM »
I am not arguing against Niall perhaps looking for a “Dunfanaghy” more than a “Portsalon”….  But you’d sometimes find it hard to read between the lines with recommendations on this website.

There is a gulf in class between Portsalon and Dunfanaghy.

There is a gulf in class between The Island and Corballis.

There is a gulf in class between any Top-100 course and Iona.

You can have loads of fun on any of them. Sometimes I’ve had most fun chipping balls around an empty field.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:03:54 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »
With the green fee at Corballis at 30 vs. the green fee at The Island at 165, I posit that you can have five times as much fun at Corballis for the same money. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2022, 11:17:10 AM »
“Know your audience” is my point…

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 01:27:03 AM »
Niall,

You have made the right choice with Portsalon.

One of the small problems with this group is that some folks descend so far in to “niche” that they end up recommending completely inappropriate courses to outside observers (not that you are one of those)…

For example, recommending Corballis over The Island to first time visitors from the US who are there to tick off the big boys and have one extra day free.

Or… running a Top-100 ranking for GB&I and suggesting that more of the panel need to get to Iona so that it can be considered next time around.

I would think its a more a case of Corballis in addition to The Island, or an alternative to The Island if the itinerary calls for it or an easy first or last day game fairly close to the airport. Top 100 golf isn't the only reason for golf travel. Corballis is the sort of course which nicely rounds out a Dublin trip. It may not be essential, but what is?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2022, 01:56:51 AM »
You know I agree with you really, Sean. As long as what is being suggested is put in context.

In fairness, most perusers of this site have a pretty open mind.

None of which has anything to do with this thread. Niall knows what he likes. And most people replied with the sensible answer: Portsalon.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 02:25:05 AM »
You know I agree with you really, Sean. As long as what is being suggested is put in context.

In fairness, most perusers of this site have a pretty open mind.

None of which has anything to do with this thread. Niall knows what he likes. And most people replied with the sensible answer: Portsalon.

What generally happens is folks go off road with suggestions rather than recommend courses within the context of the request. That said, if other ideas aren't thrown on the table some folks wouldn't know about alternatives. It's good to have choices.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 04:02:51 AM »
Having played both more than once I’m not sure I’d head to either when next in the area but there’s somewhere not too far away I’d like to play and, hint, it doesn’t have 18-holes and I don’t believe it’s been mentioned on this thread yet.
Atb

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2022, 05:15:04 AM »
Having played both more than once I’m not sure I’d head to either when next in the area but there’s somewhere not too far away I’d like to play and, hint, it doesn’t have 18-holes and I don’t believe it’s been mentioned on this thread yet.
Atb

I was going to suggest Otway as something a bit different after a round at Portsalon.  ;D

The club lost a couple of holes but have managed to replace them with some new holes south of the clubhouse.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2022, 05:15:20 AM »
I can see where both Ally and Garland are coming from but I think Sean hit the nail on the head with "context". We all tend to make recommendations on what we think is "great" but that recommendation really only means something if you give a bit of context such as how or why a course is great, and perhaps with a comparison to help. A for instance; I was almost certainly the first on here to talk about Covesea up in Moray. Since then it has become something of a "hidden gem". Love to take credit for that but more to do with the course marketing. Either way I do sometimes feel the need to temper some of the enthusiasm for the course that I read on here. Yes it's "great" but not in my opinion in the same league as a number of nearby courses. Basically an add on to a trip rather than a must see.

Niall 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2022, 05:44:05 AM »
Atb
I was going to suggest Otway as something a bit different after a round at Portsalon.  ;D
The club lost a couple of holes but have managed to replace them with some new holes south of the clubhouse.
Gailf Chumann Ghaoth Dobhair, if I’ve got the spelling etc correct, was where I was thinking of. :)
[/size]Atb[/color]

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2022, 05:48:19 AM »

I understand the argument Ally makes regarding recommendations.

Dunfanaghy doesn't have the length and variety of land that Portsalon possesses, but I don't think there's a huge gulf in quality between the two. I think there's a lot of interesting architecture on display at Dunfanaghy and I think if it were 500 yards longer, rightly or wrongly, most people would have a more positive opinion of the course. But, if you were to choose between the two, I think you'd be correct to choose Portsalon.

I'm not sure if they have managed to stretch it to 6000 yards, despite their many efforts, but it's certainly no pushover. There are definitely a lot of birdie opportunities, but also quite a few holes that can wreck a good score, especially the last 3 holes.

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2022, 06:39:54 AM »
I can see where both Ally and Garland are coming from but I think Sean hit the nail on the head with "context". We all tend to make recommendations on what we think is "great" but that recommendation really only means something if you give a bit of context such as how or why a course is great, and perhaps with a comparison to help. A for instance; I was almost certainly the first on here to talk about Covesea up in Moray. Since then it has become something of a "hidden gem". Love to take credit for that but more to do with the course marketing. Either way I do sometimes feel the need to temper some of the enthusiasm for the course that I read on here. Yes it's "great" but not in my opinion in the same league as a number of nearby courses. Basically an add on to a trip rather than a must see.

Niall

Niall

I understand Ally's point as well. However, one man's junk is another's treasure. As I have said before, choosing where to play is not strictly about choosing the best courses...at least for me its not. Using your Covesea example, I don't know where I heard about the course, but I knew I wanted to see it when I saw a pic or two. I am certainly an outlier, but as a tourist, I prefer it to Moray Old while happily conceding that Moray Old is better. I have seen many courses somewhat similar to Moray Old, but only one Covesea. Now, if I lived up there, I would certainly choose Moray over Covesea as a weekly game not least because it has a clubhouse!

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:39:16 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2022, 06:43:30 AM »
I would imagine that with some architectural/shaping tweaks the standard of the less appreciated holes at Dunfanaghy could relatively easily and likely not expensively be improved not that they are presently poor, somewhat pedestrian or mundane might be a better description. Holes 5-10 and 1-18 already have considerable merit and challenge. Fingers crossed.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2022, 06:45:48 AM »
Sean

Covesea does have a clubhouse of sorts, it was just that it was closed due to Covid when we were there. My point about Covesea is that if you don't explain what it's about then people won't really know what they are going to see. If you do then they can make an informed decision depending on taste.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2022, 06:55:20 AM »
Sean

Covesea does have a clubhouse of sorts, it was just that it was closed due to Covid when we were there. My point about Covesea is that if you don't explain what it's about then people won't really know what they are going to see. If you do then they can make an informed decision depending on taste.

Niall

Correct.

Context and audience. Two vital parts of the equation.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2022, 08:12:50 AM »
Atb
Gailf Chumann Ghaoth Dobhair, if I’ve got the spelling etc correct, was where I was thinking of. :)
Atb

David, I was sure you were thinking of Otway. I played Gweedore two weeks ago and took some photos of the new holes; it expanded from 9 to 14 holes. But, it's a pretty long drive from Portsalon, so it's only worth a visit if you're in the area on the way to Cruit or Portnoo.

If you have a good suggestion on which site I should use to host the photos, I can try to update this photo tour from some years ago (I need to move them from Photobucket):
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41990.0.html

Thomas Dai

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2022, 08:40:39 AM »
Atb
Atb
David, I was sure you were thinking of Otway. I played Gweedore two weeks ago and took some photos of the new holes; it expanded from 9 to 14 holes. But, it's a pretty long drive from Portsalon, so it's only worth a visit if you're in the area on the way to Cruit or Portnoo.
If you have a good suggestion on which site I should use to host the photos, I can try to update this photo tour from some years ago (I need to move them from Photobucket):
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41990.0.html
I confess to having had a recent look at both your Gweedore and Dunfanaghy tours, splendid as they are. I also recall visiting Otway, or the course where the sheep wear crash helmets as Jeff describes it, a few years ago.
Recently some photos were posted on Twitter of Gweedore mentioning further additional holes so this piqued my interest as I’ve not been there and the course and it’s location and it’s still four legged mowers I presume look right up my street. I need to see the bunker you worked on as a lad there too! I’m also intrigued by the 14+4 routing/card too.
I know what you mean about the length of drive to there from Portsalon so it’s the Cruit/Gweedore combination that’s particularly attractive. I’ve not been to N&P since the Hanse changes but it’s an awful lot more Euro’s to play now there now than the €35 it was when I visited.
As to a photo hosting site, I’m not sure which to use either. These days I just copy/paste across from Instagram/Twitter if there’s a pic I want to display herein.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »
I too am interested in Gweedore. Is it any good? Hoping to play Cruit Island and may be tempted to stop in for a game.

Ciao

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2022, 11:41:15 PM »
I too am interested in Gweedore. Is it any good? Hoping to play Cruit Island and may be tempted to stop in for a game.

Ciao

Can't speak for the new holes.
I played it in 2011 I think.
9 holes then.
There were 3-4 really unique holes(to me)that were very open out by the water with some interesting undulating land playing to lay of the land greens. It was quite windy the day I played and the holes were really fun to play in those conditions, where you could tack your way in the open sheep mown space.
I found those holes very memorable, the others less so.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 01:40:41 AM »
Gweedore I haven’t been to but really should have. Any course over a machair landscape immediately piques my interest.

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2022, 02:42:17 AM »
Unfortunately we didn't make it to Cruit and Gweedore. A quick audible due to dodgy weather sent us the other direction to Otway which was a great surprise and a lot of fun. The ma and pa vibe makes it my kinda place. Had a short talk with the owner. He seems happy with the outcome of the new layout.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:48:00 AM by Sean_A »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2022, 03:08:08 AM »
Playing Portsalon today although the weather calls for 100% chance of rain.  Played it 20 and 30 years ago and remember very much liking it.  On my first play in the 90s with my father, we were the only people on the course and it cost us just the change in your pocket for greens fees.

Just played Cruit for the first time a few days ago and it is spectacular but simply too hilly a walk for these 70-year old legs.

Niall C

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2022, 08:01:20 AM »
Following comments on here I decided to play Portsalon instead of Dunfanaghy and had a great time. The course was an interesting mix of styles from pure links, to a wee bit of parkland, and with holes with bowling alley type fairways bookended by a flat table top greens (I wonder who could have designed those ?) to others with heaving fairways and contoured greens.

Overall it had a holiday course vibe which I liked although a greenfee of 100 euros kind of took the edge of that. Not sure I'll revisit at that price but glad I played it at least once.

Niall

Kevin Markham

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2022, 08:54:33 AM »
Intrigued by the 'holiday course vibe' comment.

That's the sort of comment I'd direct towards Dunfanaghy. Portsalon rates highly in Irish Golf Top 100 lists - whereas Dunfanaghy doesn't appear at all - and with holes like the 2nd and 14th (13, too, if you like the quirk of it) it has some significant attraction.But I don't disagree with your other comments.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:59:33 AM by Kevin Markham »

Niall C

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2022, 09:46:20 AM »

Intrigued by the 'holiday course vibe' comment.

That's the sort of comment I'd direct towards Dunfanaghy. Portsalon rates highly in Irish Golf Top 100 lists - whereas Dunfanaghy doesn't appear at all - and with holes like the 2nd and 14th (13, too, if you like the quirk of it) it has some significant attraction.But I don't disagree with your other comments.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back