News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Dunfanaghy or Portsalon ?
« on: September 01, 2022, 10:17:27 AM »
Thoughts ?

Niall

jeffwarne

Re: Dunfanaghy or Portsalon ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
I'm a big fan of Dunfanaghy(the course), especially the town, but a bigger fan of Portsalon.

Why not both?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:47 AM »
Like Jeff I’m a big fan of Dunfanaghy. Holes 5-10 and then 16-17-18 are excellent, the others are a little more modest. Overall however, and without checking on the comparative greenfees, taking all the holes into consideration Portsalon is the more interesting and challenging course. Both have lovely turf to play and terrific scenic views.
Atb

PS1 - Cruit Island, which shouldn’t be missed if your in the area, and Dunfanaghy can be easily combined in one day. Cruit and Portsalon is a longer and more awkward journey as they are further apart.
PS2 - I recall that at Dunfanaghy if the course is quiet you can for a lessor greenfee play holes 1-3 and 13-18. Not sure if Portsalon does something similar.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:18:43 AM by Thomas Dai »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »
Don't get the love for Portsalon. The scenery is spectacular. Maybe the most scenic course I played in Ireland. Front nine was very good. Back nine could have been anywhere. Very dissimilar in my uneducated opinion.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 01:32:31 PM »
Don't get the love for Portsalon. The scenery is spectacular. Maybe the most scenic course I played in Ireland. Front nine was very good. Back nine could have been anywhere. Very dissimilar in my uneducated opinion.

"Don't get the love for Portsalon. The scenery is spectacular. Maybe the most scenic course I played in Ireland"

Well let's start with that...

then throw in the all world 1st green, the SECOND hole, and the rest of the front nine.(which you've already conceded.)
10 is a very good little short par 3 with a tilted green,
11 a long straight par 5 that still presents a challenge, 12 a bit benign- sure I'll concede those 2.
I love 13-a very unique hole, creeping out of the upper  links into a cool corner of the property protected by trees if the tee shot is too agressively left.
14 is fantastic, an elevated top of the world super scenic tee, bite off as much as you dare dogleg  tee shot, with a fantastic green that runs away from the player(so rare)
15 is an excellent par 3, that while it COULD be anywhere, usually isn't ,with an excellent sloped and tilted green benched into a hillside.
16 is another unique, perhaps polarizing hole(used to have trees in front of the green) with an exciting up and over tee shot that leaves a shot over a stream that can be challenging if one misses the serpentine somewhat hidden from the tee fairway.
17 is a cool dogleg par 5 with a two tiered fairway where the ocean comes back into view on the upper tier.
18 is somewhat pedestrian,but so are nearly all finishers across the pond. A stern finisher unless one really catches the drive or it's downwind.

14 and 16 while not pure links holes were two holes that actually enchanted me the first time I played Portsalon.
It's OK IMHO for a great course to wander out of pure linksland for a piece of a hole or two if it adds variety and quality, which IMHO is the case at Portsalon.

throw in the low key, home spun welcoming members vibe, and reasonable greens fee(St Patrick's will affect that if it hasn't already) and I just love it.

To be fair, I think I have a minority opinion. I hope it stays that way ;)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 07:39:17 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 02:30:19 PM »
13-17 is a brilliant stretch at Portsalon. Brilliant.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »
Which are the new holes at Portsalon ?

Niall

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 03:21:54 PM »

"Don't get the love for Portsalon. The scenery is spectacular. Maybe the most scenic course I played in Ireland"

Well let's start with that...

then throw in the all world 1st green, the SECOND hole, and the rest of the front nine.(which you've already conceded.)
10 is a very good little short par 3 with a tilted green,
11 a long straight par 5 that still presents a challenge, 12 a bit benign- sure I'll concede those 2.
I love 13-a very unique hole, creeping out of the upper  links into a cool corner of the property protected by trees if the tee shot is too agressively left.
14 is fantastic, an elevated top of the world super scenic tee, bite off as much as you dare dogleg  tee shot, with a fantastic green that runs away from the player(so rare)
15 is an excellent par 3, that while it COULD be anywhere, usually isn't ,with an excellent sloped and tilted green benched into a hillside.
16 is another unique, perhaps polarizing hole(used to have trees in front of the green) with an exciting up and over tee shot that leaves a shot over a stream that can be challenging if one misses the serpentine somewhat hidden from the tee fairway.
17 is a cool dogleg par 5 with a two tiered fairway where the ocean comes back into view on the upper tier.
18 is somewhat pedestrian,but so are nearly all finishers across the pond. A stern finisher unless one really catches the drive or it's downwind.

14 and 16 while not pure links holes were two holes that actually enchanted me the first time I played Portsalon.
It's OK IMHO for a great course to wander out of pure linksland for a piece of a hole or two if it adds variety and quality, which IMHO

throw in the low key, home spun welcoming members vibe, and reasonable greens fee(St Patrick's will effect that if it hasn't already) and I just love it.

To be fair, I think I have a minority opinion. I hope it stays that way ;)

I was there in 2013. I just remember thinking that it was two completely different nines. People were great. I thought the front was much tighter and harder than the back. First and second holes were really good. Only thing I remember on the back was the chain link fence over the walkway thru the fairway to the beach. Never seen that before.

Had a beer and headed to Rosepenna.....

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 08:03:25 PM »
It's about 8 years since I played Portsalon but I really enjoyed the course. There was a bit of sameness about some of the holes but generally it was a lovely experience. The 2nd is a great hole. What struck me most was that it was just a proper local club with families just turning up for a drink or dinner and a lovely atmosphere in an unpretentious clubhouse. The sort of place you would want to be a member.
There was a group of golfers from Birmingham (UK) who went there every year (10+ years) because it was such a welcoming place and were accepted like locals.
I now look at the ridiculous green fee and wonder if it has just become another course on the 'circuit' and has lost it's soul or is it just milking it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 08:50:33 PM »
It's about 8 years since I played Portsalon but I really enjoyed the course. There was a bit of sameness about some of the holes but generally it was a lovely experience. The 2nd is a great hole. What struck me most was that it was just a proper local club with families just turning up for a drink or dinner and a lovely atmosphere in an unpretentious clubhouse. The sort of place you would want to be a member.
There was a group of golfers from Birmingham (UK) who went there every year (10+ years) because it was such a welcoming place and were accepted like locals.
I now look at the ridiculous green fee and wonder if it has just become another course on the 'circuit' and has lost it's soul or is it just milking it.

100 euros($99 US currently)is ridiculous? half that for Irish residents
Sure, Portsalon was 70 euros for many, many years(which was nearly $100 US at the time) , and yes bargains could be had-often 40 euros), but 100 euros now is FAR, FAR better value than nearby Ballyliffin Glashedy links at $244 dollars US!!!!!
I had to check that 3 times-couldn't believe it.

That just shocks me as I'll take Portsalon over either course at Ballyliffin 10 out of 10 times.

Rosapenna Sandy Links is $150 euros.
I'll take Portsalon

Speaking of a course that lost its soul, Narin and Portnoo is now $150 euros, and IMHO has lost much of the charm it had 25 years ago.
Portsalon again

Waterville is $250 euros
Dooks is $150 euros

Seems to me Portsalon is the best bargain in Donegal as well as Ireland

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 09:15:15 PM »

I’m with you on this. Not a fan at all. Of the courses I’ve played in Donegal, Portsalon would be pretty far down my list. And as for scenery, nothing else comes close to Cruit Island.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 09:18:05 PM by Dan_Callahan »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 05:30:08 AM »
Greenfees in Ireland have certainly increased a lot over the last few years including pre-covid years. Might not have effected the number of visitors from other parts of the World, especially those from the western side of the 3,000 mile pond, but U.K. folks I know who have been heading to both the Republic and the North consistently over the years are now less inclined to visit there. But if you are a local and you can make more cash this way …..
Atb

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 10:05:02 AM »
I'm with Jeff on Portsalon. Really liked it a lot.

Link to Portsalon photos: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157667715132893[/size]

Link to Cruit Island photos: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157667820436694[/size]

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 01:17:29 PM »
I'm with Jeff on Portsalon. Really liked it a lot.

Link to Portsalon photos: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157667715132893[/size]

Link to Cruit Island photos: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157667820436694[/size]

amazing photos!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 06:42:53 PM »

Niall

Niall,

It's probably easier to list the original holes that still exist from the 1980s-1990s layout, as about two-thirds of the course at the southern end was totally designed around 2000 by Pat Ruddy. In 1986 the club managed to purchase the southern end (which had been part of the course since the 1890s but I think was lost in 1967 due to a lease expiring).

Here's a summary of the changes that took place:

1st (old) pre-1980s.
- the old 2nd hole from the 1980s was removed from the current layout, although it is still there. It was a par 3 ("Seawall") of 185 yds to the left of the 1st green down by the shore.
2nd (new) was used in a temporary layout in 1986 and re-used the old 5th green across the river. The green was moved a bit to the right and built by Pat Ruddy. The old hole (was no. 3) ran in the same direction but veered right in between the two rocky mounds right of the fairway and did not cross the river. It was a par four of length 350 yds.
3rd (old, was no. 6 in the 1980s) from the 1890s. May have had small modifications by Ruddy.
4th (old, was no. 7 in the 1980s) from the 1890s. May have had small modifications by Ruddy.
5th (old, was no. 8 in the 1980s) pre-1980s. Used to be a very tight "dell" type green with large mounds on either side. It was a bit quirky and blended in better than the current hole. I assume the mounds were softened by Ruddy.
6th (redesigned) uses the same fairway corridor as the old 9th from 1980s. The old 9th hole stopped at a boundary fence 100 yards short of the current 6th green. The course then turned 90 degrees right. The old 10th was a par four of 350 yards that headed west to a green located just in front of the current 13th tee.
7th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
8th: a totally new hold by Ruddy.
9th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
10th: a new hole (by Ruddy) that plays to the old 11th green location. Probably tweaked a bit by Ruddy as you now approach this green from the opposite direction.
11th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
12th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
13th: (redesigned) a hole that combines the old 11th fairway and and old 12th green. The old 11th hole used the same fairway but curved slightly right down to the present 10th green. You then walked to a tee on the right side of the current 9th fairway and played a 175 yds par 3 (no. 12) up to the current 13th green.
14th "Matterhorn" (was the old no. 13): an old hole from that was redesigned in 1912. This used to be a long blind bogey 4 hole of 240 yards that played over the "Matterhorn" rock to a "cup" green which may have been located in the hollow in front of the present 15th green. It was extended to the right and became a long hole. I have previously speculated that H.S. Colt may have been involved as he visited the course in 1911, but I have no definite proof.
15th "Cross" (was the old no. 14): This hole was created in 1912. Again, I wonder if H.S. Colt may have been involved.
16th: an old hole from the 1890s (was the old no. 15). The par four 280 yds 16th hole (was situated on land left of the current 16th green and play was to a green located beyond the current 17th tee) that existed in the 1980s was done away with. I believe this hole was squeezed in sometime after 1967 after they lost the land to the south.
17th: an old hole from at least early 1900s.
18th: an old hole from at least early 1900s.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 06:45:32 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2022, 08:06:52 PM »
When I was there I believe there was a sign about renovation or redesign work by Paul Macginley.

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 07:37:13 AM »

Niall

Niall,

It's probably easier to list the original holes that still exist from the 1980s-1990s layout, as about two-thirds of the course at the southern end was totally designed around 2000 by Pat Ruddy. In 1986 the club managed to purchase the southern end (which had been part of the course since the 1890s but I think was lost in 1967 due to a lease expiring).

Here's a summary of the changes that took place:

1st (old) pre-1980s.
- the old 2nd hole from the 1980s was removed from the current layout, although it is still there. It was a par 3 ("Seawall") of 185 yds to the left of the 1st green down by the shore.
2nd (new) was used in a temporary layout in 1986 and re-used the old 5th green across the river. The green was moved a bit to the right and built by Pat Ruddy. The old hole (was no. 3) ran in the same direction but veered right in between the two rocky mounds right of the fairway and did not cross the river. It was a par four of length 350 yds.
3rd (old, was no. 6 in the 1980s) from the 1890s. May have had small modifications by Ruddy.
4th (old, was no. 7 in the 1980s) from the 1890s. May have had small modifications by Ruddy.
5th (old, was no. 8 in the 1980s) pre-1980s. Used to be a very tight "dell" type green with large mounds on either side. It was a bit quirky and blended in better than the current hole. I assume the mounds were softened by Ruddy.
6th (redesigned) uses the same fairway corridor as the old 9th from 1980s. The old 9th hole stopped at a boundary fence 100 yards short of the current 6th green. The course then turned 90 degrees right. The old 10th was a par four of 350 yards that headed west to a green located just in front of the current 13th tee.
7th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
8th: a totally new hold by Ruddy.
9th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
10th: a new hole (by Ruddy) that plays to the old 11th green location. Probably tweaked a bit by Ruddy as you now approach this green from the opposite direction.
11th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
12th: a totally new hole by Ruddy.
13th: (redesigned) a hole that combines the old 11th fairway and and old 12th green. The old 11th hole used the same fairway but curved slightly right down to the present 10th green. You then walked to a tee on the right side of the current 9th fairway and played a 175 yds par 3 (no. 12) up to the current 13th green.
14th "Matterhorn" (was the old no. 13): an old hole from that was redesigned in 1912. This used to be a long blind bogey 4 hole of 240 yards that played over the "Matterhorn" rock to a "cup" green which may have been located in the hollow in front of the present 15th green. It was extended to the right and became a long hole. I have previously speculated that H.S. Colt may have been involved as he visited the course in 1911, but I have no definite proof.
15th "Cross" (was the old no. 14): This hole was created in 1912. Again, I wonder if H.S. Colt may have been involved.
16th: an old hole from the 1890s (was the old no. 15). The par four 280 yds 16th hole (was situated on land left of the current 16th green and play was to a green located beyond the current 17th tee) that existed in the 1980s was done away with. I believe this hole was squeezed in sometime after 1967 after they lost the land to the south.
17th: an old hole from at least early 1900s.
18th: an old hole from at least early 1900s.

Donal

Many thanks for that. We've decided to go for the Portsalon option and it will be interesting to see what I make of Mr Ruddy's efforts. I'm not a fan of the man and certainly haven't seen much of his work that I've liked but others who's opinion I rate speak highly of the course so we will see.

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 08:51:44 AM »
Niall, I really enjoyed Portsalon despite playing it in a 4 club wind with plenty rain. Frankly I was arguing in the clubhouse we should just skip it but my companions that day were hardier than me so out we all went. I'm very glad we did, some great land and a course I could imagine playing a lot and not getting bored.

Hope you enjoy it too.
Ian

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 04:34:54 PM »
IMO, you can't go wrong taking advice from Jeff W.

Portsalon is tops.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Moore

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 05:04:22 PM »
Post Salon (along with the hotel at Rosapenna) was a highlight of my June 2022 trip. My mid handicap friends in particular really liked it. One of many highlights.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Rob Marshall

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 06:26:00 PM »
IMO, you can't go wrong taking advice from Jeff W.

Portsalon is tops.

When Jeff posts I read. You can’t go wrong.

David McIntosh

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 07:02:53 PM »
Niall,

Good choice on Portsalon, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. I played the same day as Ian and also really enjoyed the course despite some pretty wild weather!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
A couple of videos to wet your appetites -

Dunfanaghy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTY_gICTJWA

Portsalon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew03-XdG4AM

Enjoy.
atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 10:02:03 AM »
Niall,

You have made the right choice with Portsalon.

One of the small problems with this group is that some folks descend so far in to “niche” that they end up recommending completely inappropriate courses to outside observers (not that you are one of those)…

For example, recommending Corballis over The Island to first time visitors from the US who are there to tick off the big boys and have one extra day free.

Or… running a Top-100 ranking for GB&I and suggesting that more of the panel need to get to Iona so that it can be considered next time around.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »
For example, recommending Corballis over The Island to first time visitors from the US who are there to tick off the big boys and have one extra day free.

Admittingly I haven't played Corballis and The Island, but perhaps that would be an attempt to demonstrate the futility of travelling "to tick off the big boys." ;)

What's your criteria? Puffing up a resume, or having golfing fun? ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 10:42:39 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back