News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

The other side of the coin to manicured
« on: August 30, 2022, 11:46:14 AM »
Recent piece that’s worth watching if you are partial to golf on the other side of the coin from manicured or if you want to find out more - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-qojz4Bq49o
Enjoy.

Atb

David_Tepper

Re: The other side of the coin to manicured
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 12:01:40 PM »
There is also this recent column in the Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joy-of-a-scruffy-golf-course-11661169808?mod=sports_featured_pos3 

Sorry it is gated.

p.s. Really enjoyed the video. Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:23:40 PM by David_Tepper »

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
Recent piece that’s worth watching if you are partial to golf on the other side of the coin from manicured or if you want to find out more - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-qojz4Bq49o
Enjoy.

Atb

As my wife and I put together our itinerary for a trip 12 months from now, some of what they played are definitely on my list of new places to get to.  We've done Golspie, RDC, Brora, Wick, Tain and Bonar Bridge, Wick and Alness in that vicinity already.  More places to get to.

But if you want scruffy, you've got to get to Newell GC in South Dakota where I was on the Belle Fourch CC team for the 26th (?) consecutive "Ryder Cup" matches between the two clubs last weekend.  Greens double-cut to the get the Stimp up to something like 5 or 6, but a fine time was had by all.

FWIW, Belle's population is 5,600 and Newell's is under 800, but both managed to field about 24 players for the comp.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 01:04:43 PM »
Enjoy.

Atb

Great find.
Getting a bit worried the masses may flock to such destinations and suggest "improvements", but really cool nonetheless.
Dunoon was new to me.
A bit surprised they didn't play Wick.
Incredible video work
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Emerson

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 07:22:15 PM »
While the video was nice, there was a topic hinted on that stuck out to me. My favorite quote from the video was “on links-land who needs 14 clubs”. I haven’t used more than 9 clubs in years and the need for 14 clubs is insanity to me. To each their own I suppose
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 01:45:02 AM »
Very cool. Video makes me want to hop on a plane to Ireland to play golf. TD, do you still have your ownership stake? I won't ask how much it's worth now. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 02:40:14 PM »
Ten or twelve years ago I spent a week in and around the Wicklow mountains playing courses that no one knows outside of the locals. It was a wonderful trip. When you play a local course you get a very gracious welcome. I found it to be one of the most enjoyable golfing adventures I had. I didn't even know what I was doing the next day unless someone recommended a course. Generally, I'd look at a map and find a course and go play it. Green fees were less than 30 Euros.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back