News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

RIP Julian Robertson
« on: August 25, 2022, 08:55:01 AM »
I learned from one of my other clients on Tuesday that Julian Robertson had passed away that morning, at the age of 90.  The client had seen him just a few days before and he was doing quite well; he went into the hospital for a small procedure and things spiraled downward very quickly.  But it sounds as though he was still living a good life right up until his last days.

The range of eulogies in print to Mr. Robertson are impressive to read.  He was a legend in the financial industry and a mentor to many young bright people in that field, including two of my current clients.  His enormous success funded two of his other passions -- bringing great golf to New Zealand, which you all know about, and funding the Robertson Scholarships at Duke and UNC, which you probably didn't know about.  Let's just say that golfers and Kiwis are not the only ones to benefit from his generosity over the years.

Julian had a reputation as being demanding to work for, but we got along very well, because there was never any b.s. going on -- if you'd done your homework he valued what you had to say.  I also learned a lot from him about how to conduct business.  At one point I had mentioned maybe putting in another tee for the third hole, across a little gully that would have required a small bridge to get over there, and when he came back and there was no tee, he asked why.  I said I hadn't thought it was worth the money to build the little bridge to get to it, and Mr. Robertson stopped me right there, and said it was the client's job to worry about whether he wanted to spend the money, it was only my job to tell him whether the tee was better or not.  He said that I might think of the golf course as a $5 million construction project, but for him it was a $50 million project that revolved around that golf course being as great as it could possibly be, and if it cost $50,000 more to put in a little bridge that was nothing in the big scheme of things.  [And then I told him the tee over there wasn't as good, and he responded, "Well why didn't you just say so?"  :D ]  In the end, that discussion helped me realize the true value to clients in what we do, and my whole family should thank him for that.

Cape Kidnappers was the kind of canvas you're lucky to get once in a lifetime, but I am sorry that Julian never found the right property in Queenstown to build another project there, as we had discussed.  I'm also sorry we never got around to building the "farm" course at Cape Kidnappers, but maybe his sons will be more interested in pursuing it now as a tribute to their mom and dad.

Andrew Carr

Re: RIP Julian Robertson
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:26:12 AM »
This is a beautiful tribute.  Thank you for sharing that story about the bridge.  We all benefit from people like Mr. Robertson being passionate about our great game.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 09:45:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing Tom!

He sounded like a wonderful man.

I have enjoyed playing the courses you designed for him!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »

I have enjoyed playing the courses you designed for him!

Thanks, but I only did the one!

It's weird how many people seem to think that I designed Kauri Cliffs, too, or that Mr. Robertson had something to do with Tara Iti, which he did not.  I guess they are all far away, so they are more easily confused.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 01:45:09 PM »
wow, thanks for clearing that up.  I always thought you did Kauri Cliffs.  No wonder I liked CK better!!! :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 02:44:05 PM »
wow, thanks for clearing that up.  I always thought you did Kauri Cliffs.  No wonder I liked CK better!!! :)

One reason it happens is because the designer for Kauri Cliffs was the late David Harman, previously a construction guy and project manager for Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer's projects in that part of the world.  But not many people know his name, and everyone assumes that only a famous designer would have built such a high-profile project, so they figure it was me.

In a similar vein, I got a text from Bobby Weed a couple of weeks ago congratulating me on my course at Bandon looking so interesting on TV -- and I told him he needed to let Bill Coore know that, since he was watching Bandon Trails.  :D

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 05:18:43 PM »
Ran posted a nice tribute to Mr Robertson over on Instagram -https://www.instagram.com/p/Chs8Mq8N4D1/
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 08:39:01 AM »
Julian's wife (also deceased) Josie was the golfer of the two - quite avid.  I played behind her once at Barnbougel.  She had flown over for the day from Kidnappers and was playing with Jason McCarthy (Sebanok) and Jason's wife.  We chatted afterwards about the Ren Cup at Kidnappers.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back