News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Re: An insightful discussion of who Tom Doak the person is. New
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2022, 05:01:47 PM »
I met Tom Doak in the pro-shop at Crystal Downs one afternoon. He seemed surprised to see me - even though he had invited me for a round about two weeks prior.

He quickly started needing me about my inconsistent game... And continued doing so even when I started playing better. e.g. When I drove about 285 yds down the middle of the 11th, he quickly assessed that "I was the third longest Australian on that hole, after Adam Scott and Ian Baker-Finch."

He took great pleasure in the fact I double-bogeyed the signature 17th hole and seemed disappointed by the fact I scratched out a par on 18 despite never seeing the fairway or the green in anything close to regulation.

I, on the other hand, took great pleasure in the fact the barman at the clubhouse insisted on putting my two beers on his tab despite the fact I offered him cash.

So, how many other architects have taken the time to host you at their home club?  Did Gil Hanse take you to Fishers Island?

I have done that for at least 100 people over the years whom I only knew from the internet, because Crystal Downs is a special place and I like to help people get to see it.

Also the 11th is a par-3, Adam Scott has never been to the Downs (although Clayts and Finchy have played there with me), and you can’t get a beer in the clubhouse on your own, as far as I’m aware.

Sorry Tom. I misremembered both the hole and the other Australian who outdrove me. Now that you have jogged my memory it was the 12th hole. And the other Australian was indeed Mike Clayton. Although it adds to my embarrassment that even my best poke couldn't match the efforts of two modest in length (although highly accomplished) pros from my home country. Basically my game has been in steady decline since Steve Elkington pipped me by a stroke at the NSW Schoolboys event in 1979.

BTW - I was not aware Gil Hanse was a member of Fishers Island.. he must have some fancy friends... Although I must have a couple as well, since I managed to get out there without his assistance last year.

As far as paying for your drinks at Crystal Downs, your bar staff are real sticklers for the rules. I struck up a conversation with a Michigan football fan on the balcony who ordered a couple of beers for me... When it came time to pay, I offered him the cash... he told me the barman had already put it on your tab since that's who invited me.

And yes, Crystal Downs is a special place.. I particularly enjoyed all the holes in the main paddock below the clubhouse.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:09:01 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back