News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Hoak

PGA course, Frisco, TX
« on: August 24, 2022, 02:53:40 PM »
I don't believe there has been a thread begun on the new PGA course in Frisco, TX, since it has been completed and become somewhat playable.  The dedication of the PGA headquarters there was held earlier this week.
There are two courses there--the Championship course built by Gil Hanse--and a second course by Beau Welling.  Both have been completed for some time, and there has been very limited play on them.  They will open to the public next Spring.  The opening competition on the Championship course will be the Senior PGA Championship next year.  Future PGA's are set, and a Ryder Cup is indicated as probable.
I would be interested in what any who have played either course think.  I'm sure analysis will increase as more people play either course.
I played the Hanse course in semi-rough condition some time ago, but rather than comment on it, I'll let others go first.  My conclusion would be, however, that this course is the first really Championship course in Texas, it should be seen very soon as the number one course in the state, and will be high in the top 100 courses in the US as it is seen by more.
As others play it, I will look for comments.

Steve Lang

Re: PGA course, Frisco, TX
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:08:06 AM »
 8)  Jim, The offerings there look impressive, but I always get skeptical when the marketing touts a "legendary golf course designer."

Also, I think there may be some blowback on "first really championship course in Texas,"  sounds a bit hyperbolic!  It may be the longest in TX?? 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 09:10:17 AM »
Is this owned by the PGA?  Do they own PGA National and PGA West?  If not, did they own them at one time?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:01:59 AM »
Steve, I agree with you that my calling it “the first really championship course in Texas” may sound exaggerated, but I think it may just be a realistic reflection on Texas courses.  Texas—based on championship golfers, junior golfers, golf fans, etc.—must be one of the top golf states, but I don’t think for many reasons you can say that about existing courses.  I think this new course may begin to change that perception.  I hope so.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:18:13 PM by Jim Hoak »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 04:29:10 PM »
Steve, I agree with you that my calling it “the first really championship course in Texas” may sound exaggerated, but I think it may just be a realistic reflection on Texas courses.  Texas—based on championship golfers, junior golfers, golf fans, etc.—must be one of the top golf states, but I don’t think for many reasons you can say that about existing courses.  I think this new course may begin to change that perception.  I hope so.

Interesting thought: Perhaps Texas is such a great golf state because, maybe up until now, they didn’t care about the *championship* golf thing.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 09:46:45 PM »
 8)  GRANDPA JOE,

It'll be interesting when the Dallas folks chime in on your thought, but in the Houston area we're happy that the Astros rescued the Houston Open and put it at Memorial Park and that the LPGA's Chevron Championship has landed at Carlton Woods...  championship courses are where championships are held... whether they have a TopGolf Lounge or not..  :o

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 01:23:34 AM »
Somehow this gets back to the weather. If a championship golf course is where championships are played (and that statement is true the more I think about it), then it took the PGA moving to May to get a championship course. If the US Open had started as a spring or fall event, there would be 7 or 8 championship courses in Texas. And they would be the same courses that are said not to be worthy now.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 09:40:39 AM »
8)  GRANDPA JOE,

It'll be interesting when the Dallas folks chime in on your thought, but in the Houston area we're happy that the Astros rescued the Houston Open and put it at Memorial Park and that the LPGA's Chevron Championship has landed at Carlton Woods...  championship courses are where championships are held... whether they have a TopGolf Lounge or not..  :o

Steve, don't forget Champions Golf Club in Houston.  Hosted the US Open, Women's Open, US Amateur, the Ryder Cup and the Tour Championship.  I call that championship golf!

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »
 8)  David, I agree, and I will never forget Champions for how it's pretty much beat me up 3 of 4 times I've played there or seeing Mr. Burke working on the range once or watching the Tour Championship there a couple times... especially in 99 with the bagpiper walking off into the fog celebrating Payne Stewart...

Champions is certainly the poster child for disrespected TX golf... 

Doesn't really bother me, we play year round, learn bermuda grain impacts, and can have original fajitas at Momma Ninfa's!
The voice of Inverness"

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 11:19:34 PM »
I have been around both courses extensively and the back 9 at the east course will be a fabulous test of golf, ensuring that any eagles will be earned and birdies are achievable. There are many drone video’s of the property for viewing if you look deep enough.

This past year of grow in has done wonders to assist with the fine tuning. In my opinion the practice facilities and buildings going up around the dance floor is a great effort to bring golf back to the masses and develop interest in the game we all love.

Adam G

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »
From the looks of it the PGA did a media preview this week. Anyone get to see it? Impressions?

Mickey Boland

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »
Through connections my sister has, I'm going to be able to play it next Friday for some type of preview day.  Can't remember now which course it is, but I know it's the one that will host the Senior PGA next year.  Really looking forward to it. 

Jim Hoak

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »
Mickey--The course that will hold the Senior PGA is the Hanse course where several PGA's--and a probable Ryder Cup--are scheduled.  The other course, done by Beau Welling, is not planned for tournaments--at least not now.

Cade Cutchen

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
Just got back from a visit to PGA Frisco. Thought both courses were really interesting and more than capable of hosting championship golf. Particularly, the opening and closing stretches on the Hanse course will create the opportunity for a lot of fun lead changes. The infrastructure they have around the clubhouse area is going to be a great place to hangout for the everyday public, golfers and tournament spectators.

My only negative takeaway was that they are in the process of building 10,000 homes around the outside edge of the golf course footprint. Currently the course feels very natural, with awesome vistas overlooking the ranch land. Once these homes are built, I am worried that the vistas will lose most of their value. Overall, I left the property excited to see the worlds best compete on the course.

DFarron

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 11:55:36 AM »
Is this owned by the PGA?  Do they own PGA National and PGA West?  If not, did they own them at one time?

This is the latest way the PGA has chosen to spend their members money.

PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens opened in 1981 as a winter home for PGA Members. It was PGA owned.

As the need for the same kind of facility in the western US, PGA West opened under a licensing  agreement with Landmark Golf.

A short time later the PGA opened a 3rd facility in Port St Lucie that was never really successful.

As a PGA Life Member, I get a little irritated that member dues, tournament and educational fees and other costs keep going up while they keep building these new facilities.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 06:06:54 PM »
DFarron, I don't think that your complaints are totally factually accurate, although I don't know the exact financial situation in Florida or in Frisco.  Maybe someone else does.
I believe that the PGA only had a limited lease relationship in Florida, which limited their financial return and was one reason for their leaving.  And I believe that in Frisco they get to run the courses and be paid for it without having to put up any investment in the courses.  They were able to parley their name into a very financially beneficial situation--along with very favorable terms on their new headquarters.  At least that's my understanding in both locations.  This should benefit members--not be a cost to them.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 08:44:03 AM »
I get the sense that it's had ebbs and flows, but for what it's worth, PGA Village (Port St. Lucie) is doing very well currently. Membership has a waitlist, public play fees are up noticeably lately and the place is always bustling with players. The average golf knowledge/passion/experience among the clientele there has to be as high as just about anywhere.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back