News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Graduation Trip to Scotland
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 11:47:20 AM »
The thing to note about Crail is there are two courses there. In our Fife trip, Crail Balcomie was my HS buddy's favorite course, and Crail Craighead was my son's favorite.

Also, having lunch in the clubhouse on the point between rounds with the great view was a highlight.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Walker Thomas

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 12:36:30 PM »
Given the length of your trip, I would consider spending half a day playing one of the parkland courses in Edinburgh.   Not because there are any world-class parkland courses (there aren't), and not because they're as "good" as the links courses (they aren't), but because you'll have a very unique experience compared to the rest of the trip.  My sense from when I was a student in Scotland is that a lot of Edinburgh-area residents play their golf on such courses, and seeing that part of the golfing culture was interesting to me.

This is really interesting advice you don't hear often. I may look into getting out to one or two of them to mix it up!
Which courses should I look into? Thanks!

Walker Thomas

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »

While I'm in Inverness I'm planning on playing:
Royal Dornoch (my dad's favorite course! We have this scheduled together)
Nairn
Golspie
Brora
Castle Stuart

Aberdeen area:
Royal Aberdeen
Murcar
Cruden Bay

St. Andrews area:
Old Course (will enter the ballot most days I am near)
New Course
Kingsbarns

Near Edinburgh:
North Berwick (can't wait)
Gullane (I don't really know which are the ones are worth seeing, I think there are 3 courses)
Muirfield (don't know if I can pull this one off this time)
Musselburgh

West Coast:
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Royal Troon
Turnberry (seems too expensive for me this time around)

If I am missing anything I need to see chime in and let me know! And if anyone is in Scotland and wants to tee it up for a round, I'd love to join! Thanks guys I look forward to the advice.

Just added-up the collective greenfees at these courses. Yikes, just a few ££££! Oh well, you only live once.
Atb

Haha- Most of those big money courses mentioned I am only able to pull off due to a member hosting me or my fathers industry rate. Or else I wouldn't consider them at all. But yes I do only live once and I am going to make the most of my first trip over!

Thanks!

Walker Thomas

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »
You might look at https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66070.msg1576958.html#msg1576958 for Scottish golf by train.

However, trains won't get you everywhere. So checking out the buses is a good idea. (You need a bus to get to Tarbat and to Fortrose & Rosemarkie, etc.

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 03:50:49 PM »
Walker,

Congrats on your graduation. And I am envious that you have lots of years ahead of you for trips to Scotland. Having said that, I fully endorse the recommendations to play Elie, Crail Balcomie, and Kilspindie. I would regret not playing them and have no such view about Castle Stuart or Kingsbarns (and my view is not particularly colored (no pun intended) by the green fee.

I also recommend bringing A Course Called Scotland (by the very same author that is the host of the podcast in another thread re Tom Doak) as companion reading.

Enjoy a great graduation trip.

Ira

Michael Moore

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »
Walker -

I bet a good old boy like yourself can hit it a long way. I admire your ambition and itinerary, and I urge you to play the "A" courses while you can enjoy them and before the prices double again in five years. When you are old and carry the ball 160 yards and can't walk uphill and want to be left alone, head over to the dreaded Kilspindie.

I'll be over there for a couple of weeks next month. Perhaps our paths will cross.

PS - Golf course architecture is an interesting topic but one that is generally more suited to magazine articles, discussion board posts, and pretty pictures than books.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 09:29:24 PM »
Michael Moore is spot on.  Go big and save the wee gems for your old age.

Oh, and take an Auburn bumper sticker for your rental car - that way you can park in the handicap spaces.

Enjoy every minute.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:37:05 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2022, 07:02:49 AM »
After the 10th September the one and only day in September there will be a ballot and a queue for the Old Course is Saturday 24th.
Cave Nil Vino

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
Congrats, please share pics and thoughts from your trip!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Salmen

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2022, 08:56:02 AM »

Just added-up the collective greenfees at these courses. Yikes, just a few ££££! Oh well, you only live once.
Atb

I've been going to Scotland since 1991.  I have paid as much as $2.05 for a GBP and as little as $1.35.  Currently the rate is little more than $1.18. It could go down even more, but I would take advantage of this opportunity and go as big as you can.  I used to cut corners on accommodation and dining so I could play more golf. Get as much stuff from the courses as you can bring home.  I hope you have a great trip, enjoy every step of golf, make some friends over there, and have memories for a lifetime.[size=78%] [/size]

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2022, 08:33:16 AM »
It's not clear who you'll be in St Andrews with but i don't believe a single can enter the ballot?

Just set you alarm EARLY and you'll get on.  Good luck with the trip.

I think there is a ballot buddy website which helps connect singles so they can enter the ballot.

I'll echo the sentiments for Covesea and Elie. I would add Musselburgh and perhaps a hilltop course such as Pitlochry and it goes without saying... Gleneagles should be considered.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 03:58:22 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Walker Thomas

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 06:49:26 PM »

A few people mentioned sharing so I thought I would fill everyone in on my travels so far!

I spent my first two days exploring Edinburgh and Glasgow.
My first round of golf was a quick 36 holes around the Bruntsfield Links with two University of Edinburgh students. We had a great time and went to the Golf Tavern for a pint afterwards, which claims to be established in 1456!

My first round of golf was at Royal Troon on Monday. This was also my first round of links golf. While I did enjoy the round and company, it didn't feel as linksy as I thought golf over here should. Apparently, it was greener than usual and someone said the west coast is usually wetter than the east coast is and that obviously affects the turf. The weather was high 60s and sunny! The first few holes are a little bit uneventful, but it takes you out to where all the great stuff is. The middle part of the course is so strong. I loved the stretch from 6-12. The tee shot on 7 and the blind one on 10 are thrilling. The Postage Stamp is famous for a reason! During the round I told my host that I read a good bit of Robert Burns to prepare for the trip. After the round he drove me around Ayr to Burn's childhood home and went to the Brig O' Doon down the road. I definitely got the full experience!

I played Barassie Links on Wednesday right down the road from Royal Troon. We had a fun time playing out here. I thought the first few holes were very solid but the club wanted a nine hole course as well, so they tweaked so much of the original layout and removed holes here and added newer holes there. At the end of the day the new nine hole course was created and the original course has suffered from its existence.

My next round was at The Old Course. This was such a special day. I was able to get a tee time at 1:30 and it was a perfect day. It is everything I imagined it would be. It is a course that is hard to explain until you play it. I wish I could play it every day so I could appreciate it more and more. I thought the crossing of 7 and 11 was so fascinating and I loved holes like 2, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18. A birdie on 18 is always fun!

I played North Berwick the next day. We were the first ones off at 7:30 in the morning. It was raining and probably high 50's and unbelievably windy. I've never played anywhere in the states where I set up to a putt and the ball starts to wobble in its place. That course is so cool. You don't think it can get better than it does and then you get onto the back nine and it seems to get better every hole. This golf is not like anything I'm used to at home. And I love that. This is the course you picture in your mind when you think of links golf. I tried haggis and black pudding for the first time after my round. I have always been an avid coffee drinker, but now I am a tea drinker too.

The next day I went to Edinburgh and saw the procession on the Royal Mile for the Queen. It was such a neat experience. Obviously a monumental time for the United Kingdom and so interesting that I came during all of this change.

Yesterday, taking someone's advice, I played Glenbervie. A James Braid parkland layout in Larbert. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this course as much as I did. Being in Scotland I thought I would dislike anything that wasn't a links course, but I thought this course was awesome! It still played quite firm and fast from tee to green. And the greens were so wild. I really enjoyed this place.

My dad gets into Edinburgh from Tampa tomorrow. He came to Scotland in 1997 and hasn't been back here since. We are going back to North Berwick, a place he never got to see then and a place I haven't stopped thinking of since last Friday. We'll quickly shoot across to the west to play Prestwick and Western Gailes, then we'll trek north.

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 11:20:41 PM »

Yesterday, taking someone's advice, I played Glenbervie. A James Braid parkland layout in Larbert. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this course as much as I did. Being in Scotland I thought I would dislike anything that wasn't a links course, but I thought this course was awesome! It still played quite firm and fast from tee to green. And the greens were so wild. I really enjoyed this place.

Great report.
Nice to hear about Glenbervie. It was one of the sites for Senior Open Qualifying.
James Braid...should've known....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back