News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Arroyo Seco in Pasadena has been around for a long time. Played many nighttime rounds there back in the late 80s while in college. Nothing special about any of the holes but it was always crowded back then.
http://www.arroyosecogc.com/

I started playing at age 8 or 9 and played there and Arcadia par 3 almost exclusively until I started playing "big" courses when I was about 13.  Great places to learn the game.  Arroyo Seco was the nicer of the two. 

Mike Hendren

Why not bump up a few small greens on the range and offer pitch and putt during certain hours?

When it opened Quintero featured 9 smallish greens on the range that were tightly mowed -nothing else. Zero maintenance costs.  The first hole teed at one end of the range teeing area and played to its other end.

Or how about a public park with play each weekday morning until noon?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

A.G._Crockett

In this morning’s local newspapers, it has been announced that 401 Golf will be closing soon, replaced by a multi use residential and commercial development. 401 Golf has been open since 1972, and the driving range is the one shown in the movie “Bull Durham”.

401 Golf occupies 72 acres south of Raleigh, NC, in unincorporated Wake County.  There is a driving range, a putt-putt course, and a “9 hole par 3 pitch and putt” course (their words) with holes ranging from 50 to 115 yards. 401 sells monthly memberships, and the walk up rate to play the par 3 range from $6 to $9 depending on the day of the week and time of day.

There is also a golf school and a pro shop,as well as a food and beverage operation, and, by all accounts, business has boomed since the beginning of the pandemic in 2020.

The sale price for the site hasn’t been announced, nor has the timeline for either the closing or construction.

Granted that The Triangle is one of the real boom areas in the country for real estate development, but it’s also worth noting that 401Golf is well south of Raleigh, and well east of either Durham or Chapel Hill.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ian Mackenzie

There was once a 9-hole par 3 course and driving range in the HEART of downtown Chicago and I think it was done by PB Dye.
Had a replica of #17 at TPC Sawdust.

I lived at the time about 2 miles from it and NEVER once played it.
It was bulldozed about 15 years ago and now has apartment buildings on its site.

Dont know why it didnt work, but it sure did not work.

Kalen Braley

There was once a 9-hole par 3 course and driving range in the HEART of downtown Chicago and I think it was done by PB Dye.
Had a replica of #17 at TPC Sawdust.

I lived at the time about 2 miles from it and NEVER once played it.
It was bulldozed about 15 years ago and now has apartment buildings on its site.

Dont know why it didnt work, but it sure did not work.

Ian,

TPC Sawdust?  Misspell or code for something else?  ;D

P.S.  Pretty sure it didn't work because even a few acres for something like that in downtown Chicago of all places, gotta be worth a shit ton.  Reminds me of this run down Carls Jr with a large parking lot in the heart of downtown SLC that I couldn't figure out why it wasn't bought up years ago.  Guess they finally made em an offer they couldn't refuse, as now they're constructing what will be the tallest building in Utah there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back