News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

North Berwick as a Single - Advice Requested
« on: August 20, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »
I have a friend who is heading abroad for a few weeks and would appreciate any and all advice on how to get on North Berwick West Links as a single. 

He's tried to normal reservation routes but has been told "they're all booked up" but I can't imagine that would be the case during the day with no-shows, weather cancellations, etc.

He's a really good guy and a member of this DG so anything offered here is greatly appreciated, thanks!!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Dan_Callahan

Re: North Berwick as a Single - Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 09:55:59 AM »
I showed up there as a single and got right on. In fact, they gave me the option of playing as a single or joining a twosome. I took one look at the opening hole, had no idea what was going on, and figured I’d be better off playing with some people who knew the course. However, that was back in 2018, and with the explosion of interest in golf during the pandemic, maybe you can’t do that anymore? Hard to believe every group is a four ball, and I’ve always found that the majority of groups with openings are more than happy to have a stranger join them. I just spent three weeks in Ireland as a single doing exactly that.

JohnVDB

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 12:28:40 PM »
To ensure that their members can get tee times, a number of courses in Scotland have closed their books this year due to the high level of demand after the last two years.

I don’t know what their policy is if someone walks up and nobody is going out to play so it might be worth a try.  There are plenty of other options in the area if he can’t play it.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:58:47 PM »
I showed up as a single and was told it would be three hours.  A group of three members heard and told the starter I could join them and they were next on the tee.  I was in my 20's so maybe they had pity and wouldn't for an older American. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 04:58:53 AM »
Mike,

Send me a DM or email with the dates etc. and I’ll do my best to host your friend.

Michael

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 06:31:13 AM »
To ensure that their members can get tee times, a number of courses in Scotland have closed their books this year due to the high level of demand after the last two years.

Instead of asking for refunds a lot of golfers chose to leave the money with the Clubs in return for the chance to book once restrictions eased. Unless the economy tanks, then it may take a couple of years to fully ease this backlog and possibly get back to 'normal'. Those planning a trip next year are advised to book early and be flexible.
Let's make GCA grate again!

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »
Thank you very much, everyone.   I knew I could count on this group.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 06:38:21 PM »
Besides Michael there are a few other gca guys at North Berwick and they all are welcoming.
 Don’t play it once!!!!!
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back