News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bernie Bell

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:34:35 AM by Bernie Bell »

Jason Topp

Re: Maine sees spike in youth golfers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:09:42 AM »
That is essentially how I started - a season pass for $40 and a course that welcomed kids.  The industry has recouped that investment in the intervening 45 years by several orders of magnitude.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 06:49:56 PM »
Maine is very charitable and community driven state/place. Mr Moore was part of this effort:

https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-michael-moore/

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 12:46:56 PM »
I can also attest to experiencing Maine's spirit of generosity through the game of golf.  In 2021 I was hired by Bob Smith, owner of Sebasco Harbor Resort (about an hour north of Portland) to build a 3 hole beginner course, as an additional amenity to the existing 9.  It was my first solo design and build project!  In my recent visit, I saw many beginners using the golf course (including my girlfriend) and got to see how much open space this class of player needs to enjoy the game.  Youth on course is proudly advertised in the pro shop and a round of golf can be had for $5!  I love this program and I think this little course is going to help hundreds of new golfers learn and enjoy the game.

Also adding a personal note, I grew up playing municipal golf on Staten Island where there was a special summer program for youth golfers anywhere on Staten Island to play golf for $3.50, thanks to The Bob Lowney Memorial Foundation. 
"Later the Lowney Junior tournament was a spinoff of the Bob Lowney Memorial Pro-Am which was started in 1983 at Richmond County CC in memory of a young West Brighton attorney and close friend of Bill Britton who died suddenly. The Lowney Memorial Pro-Am went on for 26 years and raised millions for Special Olympics and Junior golf for Staten Island."

Youth on course gives the same opportunity to young golfers that I once had. I'd love to see more courses like this being created and continue to support programs which give equal access to youth golfers in the United States.
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 09:38:32 PM »
Aye-Yuh.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back