News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Par five road holes
« on: August 19, 2022, 01:59:01 PM »
I was at a course this week with a reachable par five road hole. It was the first one I have seen. The green site looks brilliant with a deep bunker behind the hole and a very deep road hole bunker. It looks terrific.
There must be other par five road holes, I just can't think of any.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Alex Miller

Re: Par five road holes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 02:27:15 PM »
NGLA #7 comes to mind... hope that's the one you were at!

Michael Felton

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 02:41:06 PM »
Huntington CC's 7th hole I think it is is a par 5 Road Hole.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »
  If a road hole means there’s a road adjacent to it, Merion’s #2 qualifies.  If it means it has the characteristics of 17 at TOC, 🤷‍♂️

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 03:27:08 PM »
NGLA #7 comes to mind... hope that's the one you were at!

I didn't remember that one. No it wasn't there and don't feel free to share the course.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 03:31:18 PM »
I was at a course this week with a reachable par five road hole. It was the first one I have seen. The green site looks brilliant with a deep bunker behind the hole and a very deep road hole bunker. It looks terrific.

The 7th at The Legends (Heathland) is a short par-5 Road hole [minus the o.b. to the right].

In practice the Road hole at St. Andrews is a par-5 . . . it was certainly one when first played, and most golfers still play it like one today, not many are trying to hit the green in two.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 05:02:09 PM »
My immediate thought was the 15th at Weston-Super-Mare, acknowledged by Mackenzie as a version by him of the Road Hole at TOC. Alas for this thread WSM’s 15th, the 11th back in MacKenzie’s era, is a 450 yd par-4 not a par-5.
See - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62148.msg1476380.html#msg1476380
Atb

Ryan Van Culin

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 05:35:14 AM »
I believe the 17th at Camargo would qualify.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 05:49:31 AM »
If a par-5 road hole is defined as a hole where there is a paved road in play adjacent to or near the green, the 1st hole at Golspie GC certainly fits the bill. Drone video overview of the hole here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8k4FR2_LNs

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »

The 7th at The Legends (Heathland) is a short par-5 Road hole [minus the o.b. to the right].

Got my only albatross on that hole, close to 20 years ago. The hole before, we watched the group ahead of us (a bunch of drunk bros) get into a brawl and shred the green with their spikes. Then my albatross on 7, followed by a lip out on the next that would’ve been my first hole in one. Never know what’s gonna happen in Myrtle Beach …

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 11:36:26 AM »
The 5th at Blue Mound, a course that remains underrated in my book.  I've moved it into my top ten favorites.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 12:40:55 PM »
The 1st on the Craighead at Crail is just this.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 07:11:13 PM »
The McDonald/Raynor designed Links Golf Club had a Road Hole. Number 6 hole, a very reachable in two par 5 with yardage at 453/420/390. Attached is a cropped picture from another GCA post. The outline of the hole goes from left to right. This 1940 aerial shows the hole in its full glory.

1940-Road-Hole-revised.jpg

Decades later the road on the left of the hole was not visible due to the planting of privet type hedge between the road and the rough. The 1974 cropped picture shown below, again from a GCA post, displays the hedge border. Note by 1974, the aerial shows the loss of play of the two sand bunkers to the left of the green.  By this time, the bunker nearest the green to the left was overgrown with brush and pin oak trees. The outline of a deep pit was evident indicating an abandoned sand trap. The trap further back to the left was not evident at all.

1974-Road-Hole-revised.jpg

As a caddie at the Links, from the mid 1960s to the early 1980's, this was a relatively easy par five for many of the players.  Securing a par was highly probable as long as you kept your drive in the fairway or at least to the right. Short drives off the tee had players face a second shot that could catch three center sand traps about 70 yards from the green.  The two deep sand traps to the right of the green collected errant shots. Playing out of those traps required a delicate touch to avoid a waste area beyond the green and eventually the abandoned overgrown sand trap pit. The green itself was challenging displaying a false front which was considerably sloped. The undulation back (toward the tees) required a delicate putting stroke to prevent the ball from rolling down into the fairway.  Three putting this green was always a concern.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
The McDonald/Raynor designed Links Golf Club had a Road Hole. Number 6 hole, a very reachable in two par 5 with yardage at 453/420/390. Attached is a cropped picture from another GCA post. The outline of the hole goes from left to right. This 1940 aerial shows the hole in its full glory.

1940-Road-Hole-revised.jpg

Decades later the road on the left of the hole was not visible due to the planting of privet type hedge between the road and the rough. The 1974 cropped picture shown below, again from a GCA post, displays the hedge border. Note by 1974, the aerial shows the loss of play of the two sand bunkers to the left of the green.  By this time, the bunker nearest the green to the left was overgrown with brush and pin oak trees. The outline of a deep pit was evident indicating an abandoned sand trap. The trap further back to the left was not evident at all.

1974-Road-Hole-revised.jpg

As a caddie at the Links, from the mid 1960s to the early 1980's, this was a relatively easy par five for many of the players.  Securing a par was highly probable as long as you kept your drive in the fairway or at least to the right. Short drives off the tee had players face a second shot that could catch three center sand traps about 70 yards from the green.  The two deep sand traps to the right of the green collected errant shots. Playing out of those traps required a delicate touch to avoid a waste area beyond the green and eventually the abandoned overgrown sand trap pit. The green itself was challenging displaying a false front which was considerably sloped. The undulation back (toward the tees) required a delicate putting stroke to prevent the ball from rolling down into the fairway.  Three putting this green was always a concern.

Pretty sure the 6th at the Links Club was not a typical MacDonald / Raynor road hole template. It is lacking a diagonal hazard to be carried off the tee and a road hole bunker short of the green with trouble long.

Gene Greco

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
The Maidstone Club #2
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 12:08:48 AM »
The Maidstone Club #2

Gene, do you call this a road hole because of the road down the left side of the hole?
St. John of the Cross

scott anderson

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 01:10:37 PM »
13th hole at Somerset CC...Mendota Heights, MN.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
Scott -

Does that hole play like a road hole?

The tee shot bears some faint resemblence but the green never seemed to quite fit with the idea of the original with the choice of bailing out right or taking on a central bunker. 

It is a cool hole and greensite but has always seemed to me like a category of its own.

I did not realize you were on here.  Hope you are well.

Gene Greco

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 10:57:26 PM »
The Maidstone Club #2

Gene, do you call this a road hole because of the road down the left side of the hole?

Maybe..
But the main reason is because of the green complex.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Richard Fisher

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 07:10:58 AM »
Tommy would the 17th at beloved RND fit the bill?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »
Tommy would the 17th at beloved RND fit the bill?

Well there certainly is a road just short of the hole. But I always thought the green complex makes a road hole a road hole, so I'd think it does not qualify. It is a pretty cool hole though.
St. John of the Cross

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 05:01:23 PM »
Jeff Brauer has an under 500-yard, par 5 at Sand Creek Station in Newton, KS. Fun hole.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 08:02:49 PM »
The Road Hole (No. 8) at Sleepy Hollow would be a great par-5, and could be made one by taking the tee back 25 yards and cutting down a few trees.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Bernie Bell

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2022, 12:13:53 PM »
#17 at Greenbrier (Old White)? 

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »
The 18th at Fishers Island is a par-five Road Hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back