News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

Scotland accommodations advice
« on: August 19, 2022, 10:41:03 AM »
Good morning, Need some advice for our trip to Scotland. 8 guys, golf nerds. First leg is East Lothian do we stay in Gullane at Watchman or stay in North Berwick at Marine? Watchman has great reviews, Marine has seem to be up and down in the past couple of years.  My other thought was late evening access to #3 for some who want it. Not sure that’s available if we stay in north Berwick.
Up north for our second leg of the trip. 4 nights,  Playing 2 times at Royal Dornoch, 1 @Castle Stuart 1@ Nairn. It’s either the Ness Walk in Inverness or The Linkshouse in Dornoch. Again smaller town, less dining options but maybe access to Struie Course if someone wants to play evening golf.
Last leg in St. Andrews. 6 nights. Fairmont or Old Course Hotel? fairmont save s some $ but not sure it’s worth it, anything I’m missing on this?
Thanks
Lance

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Scotland accommodations advice
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 10:58:27 AM »
Gullane is a lovely spot to stay. I was in the Watchman recently for three days. It is a pleasant, well done small hotel with views over the links. Bonnie Badger would be a small step up in quality however.

Couple of good pub / restaurant choices in The Main Course (excellent food) and The Old Clubhouse.

Small village vibe and access to No.3 is really cool. Good weather helps I feel.

North Berwick and The Marine is a different vibe entirely, much bigger, also really cool.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 11:19:56 AM »
That sounds like a great trip.

The Links House is great, and we had no trouble finding good food when we stayed there for four nights a few years ago. The restaurant in the hotel actually is excellent albeit quite expensive.

For St. Andrew's, I think you will be missing a lot if you do not stay in town. 

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 11:23:33 AM »
Russacks for St Andrews is a legit option. Stay in town whichever choice you make.

I prefer N Berwick to Gullane as it has a cool beach in town, and the town is nicer than Gullane with more restaurants and shops etc. It's a 10 minute drive if you want evening golf at Gullane. Nether Abbey is a good choice hotel with a decent restaurant and bar. Much closer to town than Marine as well.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Lance Rieber

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 12:38:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies
Does it make more sense to stay in Inverness? Ideally will have two days consecutively at Royal Dornoch to limit driving to Nairn and Castle Stuart. I just don’t know much about the town of Inverness and it definitely will limit any evening golf if those desire. I know the Ness Walk is fantastic but is Dornoch a better experience?
Lance

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 12:55:55 PM »
Lance -

Greetings from Dornoch. I am 2 days into a 30-day visit. I highly recommend spending a couple of nights here. Away from the golf course, the town has a very pleasant vibe that should be experienced.

Links House is very nice and quite pricey. The Royal Golf Hotel is your next best option.

DT

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 01:00:11 PM »
We stayed two nights in Inverness and four nights in Dornoch. They are very different so it depends what your group is looking for. Inverness is a bustling mid size city and Dornoch is a small town. We preferred the low key vibe and history of Dornoch even though we like cities. The beach is cool too. But if you are looking to go out on the town at night, Inverness would be the choice.

BTW, even if this trip is for next year, suggest getting everything, especially tee times, locked in now.

Ira

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
Lance,

I would add that we found good food in Dornoch because we followed David's suggestions.

Ira

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 01:30:45 PM »
Post deleted, wrong thread, apologies.
Instagram: mj_c_golf

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 03:56:56 PM »
The golf vibe at Duck’s Inn is special.
AKA Mayday

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 08:39:23 AM »
The Old Course Hotel is a fine place but you will hardly spend any time in the hotel, go for Russacks, Kinnettles or The Russell. As Sean says there’s zero point of going to St. Andrews and staying 5 miles from the party so forget the Fairmont.
Cave Nil Vino

Lance Rieber

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 08:37:01 PM »
Bringing this back up, leave in 5 months.   In Gullane 4 nights, Dornoch 4 nights, and St andrews 6. What are the recommendations for can’t miss or the best dining in those areas?  Also, on flights, will we see a drop in price inside the 4-5 month window?  First time over, Thanks

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 09:46:52 PM »
Lance -

What dates will you be in Dornoch? I expect to be there May 17 to June 14.

There is a new lodging option in Dornoch since my post of August 2022. The Dornoch Hotel has been bought by the same group that owns Russacks in St. Andrews and the Marine in North Berwick. The hotel has gone thru a major renovation/upgrade and is now called the Dornoch Station Hotel. It is maybe a 250 yard walk from the front door to the 1st tee at Dornoch.

https://marineandlawn.com/dornochstation/

Inside there is a nice restaurant and a bar/pub that also serves food.

Hope to see you in the bonnie Highlands!

DT
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:02:07 PM by David_Tepper »

Lance Rieber

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 10:28:33 PM »
David, thanks for the reply, we are booked at Royal Golf Hotel for our stay in Dornoch.  We fly into Edinburgh on June 30th and will be in Dornoch the the night of the 4th, leaving on the 8th. Looks like I will miss getting to meet you. I’ll have to look into dining at the Dornoch Station, thanks for the advice. 🤙🏻
Lance
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:39:55 PM by Lance Rieber »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 04:21:11 AM »
I prefer N Berwick to Gullane as it has a cool beach in town, and the town is nicer than Gullane with more restaurants and shops etc.
I've always thought North Berwick was really disappointing for restaurants (and my sons girlfriend, who grew up there doesn't disagree). Strange that such a prosperous town, with decent golf tourist footfall, doesn't offer more.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2024, 08:40:58 AM »
In our two trips to St Andrews, we did not find a can’t miss restaurant (other than drinks at the Dunvegan where the food is actually good), but last August, we ended up eating twice at Jahangir Tandoor because the food was excellent although the service a bit rushed.

Ira

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2024, 08:59:52 AM »
In our two trips to St Andrews, we did not find a can’t miss restaurant (other than drinks at the Dunvegan where the food is actually good), but last August, we ended up eating twice at Jahangir Tandoor because the food was excellent although the service a bit rushed.

Ira
Best restaurant in Fife is The Cellar, in Anstruther.  Must be on the verge of a second Michelin star.  In St Andrews, Rogue does a decent steak but I agree, nothing unmissable in the town.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 09:07:22 AM »
The best meal I've had in St Andrews was in the Road Hole Restaurant in the Old Course Hotel, but (a) I suspect it was fearfully expensive (I was on freeloading media scum rate) and (b) it was at least fifteen years ago so I wouldn't take it as evidence of today's quality.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 09:09:40 AM »

Ira
Best restaurant in Fife is The Cellar, in Anstruther.  Must be on the verge of a second Michelin star.  In St Andrews, Rogue does a decent steak but I agree, nothing unmissable in the town.

I've never been to the Peat Inn, but it has always looked very good. Is it still?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 09:55:09 AM »
Lance -

Sorry our paths will not cross in Dornoch.

The food at the Royal Golf is generally quite good. Luigi's on Castle Street is very good and very popular. Greens in Tain is also quite good and worth the 10-minute drive.

With 8 guys in your group booking ahead is highly recommended. In fact you might want to think about splitting up into 2 groups of four and going to 2 different places.

I would also recommend squeezing in a round at Golspie or Brora when you are there.

DT
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 02:55:43 PM by David_Tepper »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 10:18:13 AM »
I second David's recommendations for Luigi's (we went there twice based on his recommendation) and Royal Golf.

But I really second him on Brora and Golspie.

Ira

JohnVDB

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 02:13:14 PM »
Lance -

Sorry our paths will not cross in Dornoch.

The food at the Royal Golf is generally quite good. Luigi's on Castle Street is very good and very popular. Greens in Tain is also quite good and worth the 10-minute drive.

With 8 guys in your group booking ahead is highly recommended. In fact you might want to think about splitting up into 2 groups of four and going to 2 different places.

I would also recommend squeezing in a round at Golspie or Brora when you are there.

DT

Lance,

Greens in Dornoch is also very good. The Dornoch Captain and I did a count last fall and there were 17 places to eat in Dornoch. Some are quick grab and goes and others more formal.

I will be there when you are there, although my girlfriend is coming that week so I’m not sure what my plans will be. Hopefully we can meet for a drink if nothing else.

I’ll agreee about Brora or Golspie.  If you go up that way, The Trawler in Golspie has won awards as a Fish and Chips place.

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 02:54:09 PM »
 "Greens in Dornoch is also very good."

Yes, I had forgotten that Greens had opened another location in the old Dornoch courthouse (even though I ate there twice last year :) ). If I remember correctly, that location was only serving dinner 3 or 4 nites a week last year.

https://www.greensrestaurant-tain.co.uk/

https://www.greensrestaurant-tain.co.uk/greens-at-the-courthouse-dornoch/

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 06:15:41 PM »
I've never been to the Peat Inn, but it has always looked very good. Is it still?
I first ate there in 1992, when it was excellent.  Now, given 10 meals between the Peat Inn and the Cellar, I would, quite seriously, split them 10-0 in favour of The Cellar.  Craigmillar in St Monans is, for my money, better than the Peat Inn.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 09:16:00 PM »
Forgan's in St Andrews is very good - make a reservation well in advance. There is an Italian restaurant around the corner on a back street which is good and coach Mike Shanahan was at the table next to us and seemed to enjoy talking with the football fans.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back