News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

I was fortunate to play the course in June with the hole-sequencing the same as the BMW Championship (modestly tweaked from how the members play it).

At this link is a photo album with the holes in order of the tournament:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/WilmingtonSouth/index.html

Yes, for part of my day there it rained, but I took the photos between the rain drops.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:48:26 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ben Hollerbach

Joe,
The pictures I've seen of the course makes it look stout and a good pro venue. What were your impressions playing it?

mike_malone

I call it solid.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

Joe,
The pictures I've seen of the course makes it look stout and a good pro venue. What were your impressions playing it?

It is stout and I think it will be very well received by the players.  If the rough is as challenging as it was the day I played, I was predicting this wouldn't be a 20 under tourney to win.

But I just took a break from getting my incoming advisees ready for the fall term and I see some are shooting mid 60s! Geez, these guys are good! 

astavrides

But I just took a break from getting my incoming advisees ready for the fall term and I see some are shooting mid 60s! Geez, these guys are good!

maybe your advisees should be playing less golf and studying more--or else dropping out and becoming pros.

Matt_Cohn

maybe your advisees should be playing less golf and studying more--or else dropping out and becoming pros.

Nice  ;D

Joe Bausch

It seems I did not compose my previous post very well.

Oh well.

Peter Pallotta

Interesting take from Patrick Cantlay.

"I’m so surprised that [the Tour hasn’t] figured it out. It just seems like we’re getting more and more of the same bomb-it-as-far-as-you-can golf courses week after week. The way we combat the distance, the way these architects seem to think they want to combat distance is by taking all the trees out and playing it 7,600 yards and put the tees way back and all the par-5s are at 600 yards. I don’t think that makes any sense. I’m surprised every time I come to a golf course where they say it’s recently been redone and then there’s no real shaping of golf shots. It’s just how far can you hit it and grab your driver on every hole and hit it as high and hit it as far as you possibly can. If you can hit it 315 yards, you’ve taken out all the bunkers, and you’re maybe in the rough, but it’s way better in the rough with a 9- or 8-iron than it is maybe in the fairway with a 5-iron if you were to lay up to the fat part of the fairway before the bunkers.”

(Edit - I just read now about the hurricane that came through there a few years ago, ie hence the loss of trees)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:26:40 PM by PPallotta »

Dan Boerger

Must say, Cantlay makes some good points. I do think wholesale tree removal for many parkland courses often takes away interesting challenges.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tommy Williamsen

They have added a bunch yards to the two par fives on the back nine. Each over 600 yards, but I think they took away the fun on number 12. Now it will be a layup for most guys. It used to be a fun risk/reward second shot over the pond. The terrain is wonderful for golf and RTJ did a good job with the routing.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim_Cronin

Cantlay had another good line today: "I like bentgrass, and this golf course is in really pure shape. It was even better before they burned out the greens.”
[/size]
[/size]Walking around, the greens have been turning brown since at least Friday morning. Sunday we may see purple. Hope not, as the members putting up with three months of construction and a month of teardown deserve better.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John Emerson

Cantlay had another good line today: "I like bentgrass, and this golf course is in really pure shape. It was even better before they burned out the greens.”

Walking around, the greens have been turning brown since at least Friday morning. Sunday we may see purple. Hope not, as the members putting up with three months of construction and a month of teardown deserve better.

Couple things…Grass turns purple before it turns brown when under drought stress. The members are well aware of the work required after a tournament to revive turf conditions. Jon Urbanksi and his team are the ultimate professionals and they have provided a superb product for the tour this week. The members are over the moon about the course and the job the agronomy team is doing and has done. The members know exactly what they signed up for!
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Ben Hollerbach

Joe,

It is stout and I think it will be very well received by the players.  If the rough is as challenging as it was the day I played, I was predicting this wouldn't be a 20 under tourney to win.

Beyond the early score reaction, I'd say the course presented itself really well this weekend and you were dead on that this wouldn't be a 20 under win.
I always find it fascinating when a player provides criticism of a course during the tournament week and goes on to still play well, let alone win! You see a lot of guys gush on courses they play well at and tear apart courses they play poorly at.
To have 2 non-positive quotes from the winner really shows how well he can separate how he views the course and how he plays the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back