News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Boerger

Sadaquada Golf Club
« on: August 18, 2022, 09:04:57 AM »
I've been doing some desktop research into the origins of this club, which was founded in 1895. It's a nine hole course located in Whitestown, NY (just outside of Utica).

Anyway, the claim is that the original 6 holes were laid out by Willie Park Jr. and Horace Rawlins (the first club professional) laid out 3 more.

Further, my quick research revealed someone (the architects?) named the holes.

Any comments appreciated on two quick questions:

Was it common to lay out just 6 holes (the course is not land rich and I assume was not then as well)?

When did the concept of naming holes fade away?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:07:54 AM by Dan Boerger »
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Sven Nilsen

Re: Sadaquada Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »
Dan:

I've never heard of Park being associated with Sadaquada, and would be interested in seeing where that information originated.  The Jan. 1896 edition of The Golfer noted that the course was laid out with 9 holes by Horace Rawlins in late 1895, which corresponds with all of the early reports on the course.

To answer the question, 6 holes was not that unusual.  There are a number of early courses (1890's) that started with less than the normal 9 (there were very few 18 hole courses being built that early).

Many, but not all, of these courses named the holes.  Take a look at the 1900 Harpers Guide for examples.  The concept of naming holes seems to have faded away as the Golden Age really got going in the 1920's, with the notable exception of all the MacRaynor courses where the holes retained the template names.

Hope this helps,

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks Sven - I shall look at the 1900 guide you mention.

I will let you know (post here) if I can find any evidence to the Wille Park claim (made to me by a member).

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 01:20:56 PM »
Sven - Just checked Wikipedia and the claim is written there for Willie Park Jr. regarding the 1st 6 holes.

However, I DO question the submission (dead link) and will continue to work. I will reach out to the club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back