News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: I told you; LIV is for lawyers...
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2022, 10:46:49 PM »
Phil was right in that the tour was keeping a huge cash reserve for themselves and that they could come up with some new ideas to maximize revenue, especially for the top players, but at the detriment of the guys outside of the top 50 or so.
When you think about it - why shouldn't the players get the majority of the say in how the tour is run?  But they only have a minority position on the policy board - there are 5 independents, 4 players and one from the PGA of America.   Is that the proper governance model?

Shipnuck goes through it here: https://firepitcollective.com/phil-was-right-phil-mickelson/

Keeping huge cash reserves for themselves? Who do you mean by themselves? The players are the tour. Who appoints the 5 independents?

Actually it’s going to 5 players
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:50:21 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2022, 10:52:56 PM »
Let's do Tripp Davis a favor and watch this week. Nice opportunity to see an interesting course.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2022, 11:22:20 PM »
More dishonesty from the defectors.  Smith says it means more time with his family in Australia.  14 Fifty Hole Tour entertainment events or 15 PGA Tour competitive events...

The Fifty Four Hole Tour is going to become a black hole...We will never hear from Cam Smith again.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2022, 11:38:53 PM »
Phil was right in that the tour was keeping a huge cash reserve for themselves and that they could come up with some new ideas to maximize revenue, especially for the top players, but at the detriment of the guys outside of the top 50 or so.
When you think about it - why shouldn't the players get the majority of the say in how the tour is run?  But they only have a minority position on the policy board - there are 5 independents, 4 players and one from the PGA of America.   Is that the proper governance model?

Shipnuck goes through it here: https://firepitcollective.com/phil-was-right-phil-mickelson/

Keeping huge cash reserves for themselves? Who do you mean by themselves? The players are the tour. Who appoints the 5 independents?

I am not sure who appoints the independents but I don't think that it is the players.  Probably the governance committee of the board, heavily influenced by Jay Monahan.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2022, 12:44:25 AM »
Won't miss a single guy who left this week and especially Smith and his ugly arse mullet. Is the Presidents Cup dead? Did LIV sabotage the PCup on purpose? They could have waited another month right? Cam Smith is a coward and a liar. :P
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2022, 12:48:01 AM »
Let's do Tripp Davis a favor and watch this week. Nice opportunity to see an interesting course.
I checked my TV listings and can't find the LIV anywhere? LOL
JK can you record it for me? ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2022, 01:21:05 AM »
 ;D

Rob Marshall

« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2022, 08:46:07 AM »
Won't miss a single guy who left this week and especially Smith and his ugly arse mullet. Is the Presidents Cup dead? Did LIV sabotage the PCup on purpose? They could have waited another month right? Cam Smith is a coward and a liar. :P

I like Cam Smith. He's only guy I'm going to miss. Don't see him as a liar or a coward. He admitted the money was too good to pass up.

I agree about the Pres Cup. They could have waited.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2022, 08:48:00 AM »

I am not sure who appoints the independents but I don't think that it is the players.  Probably the governance committee of the board, heavily influenced by Jay Monahan.

I would assume the players can fire Monahan anytime they want. He works for them. The LPGA fired their head a few years ago or asked her to resign.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2022, 09:18:06 AM »
I think they have said they have to play four events to be eligible for the big team competition at the end or something. So that's why they did it now and not after the Presidents Cup, I think.

You won't "miss" Cam Smith. If he can remain competitive (in his own words he said he's been lazy in the past and that he actually put in work the last year or two), you'll (probably) see him in majors for at least five more years.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »
Can't wait to see how they handle the late October event in south Florida.

How interesting would a four team event grudge match every two or four years- Tour/DP Tour/ROW/LIV

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2022, 09:21:41 AM »
Gary Player just strapped in as coxswain on the LIV hate canoe. Must make you moral paddle ducks proud.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2022, 09:34:24 AM »
Bill Coore's wife is Jewish. Can't imagine he's too thrilled to see his work being used by a genocidal Muslim regime this week..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:52:00 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2022, 11:34:50 AM »
With how much flak the PGA Tour has gotten for suspending its players, (including the lawsuit) interesting to see LIV has already gotten rid of several players in its 1st season after only a handful of events.

And people wonder why so many players remain loyal to the PGATour.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/all-four-japanese-players-out-of-liv-golf-boston-field

Michael Moore

« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2022, 01:09:40 PM »
Let's do Tripp Davis a favor

Bill Coore's wife is Jewish. Can't imagine he's too thrilled to see his work being used by a genocidal Muslim regime this week..

Please, it's a Tom Fazio course. More later, after listening to the Australian contingent I am finally understanding how all of this is just a small indicator of our decadent empire losing its grip on the world.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2022, 01:16:50 PM »
Let's do Tripp Davis a favor

Please, it's a Tom Fazio course. More later, after listening to the Australian contingent I am finally understanding how all of this is just a small indicator of our decadent empire losing its grip on the world.

https://www.theinternational.com/golf?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bostongolfclub

Thanks for bringing it back to golf. Nice Tripp Davis video on his restoration.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2022, 02:29:25 PM »
Wayne Kozun, yes, there are 5 independent members of the Board and only 4 players.  But I am told by people on the Board, that the Board always defers to the players on any issue that affects them.  The independents' role is to provide business advice and consul only, and decisions are not made on a split-vote basis.

Tim Martin

« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2022, 02:59:36 PM »
How interesting would a four team event grudge match every two or four years- Tour/DP Tour/ROW/LIV

Pete-I would rather watch the two tours square off than the Presidents Cup. I’ve never found anything compelling about it as it’s always been a junior varsity version of the Ryder Cup. We have all heard the grumbling from players on both sides when they have to travel for the event and I haven’t had anyone tell me they were going to pass on their regular Sunday game so that they could watch the final round of the Presidents Cup.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:05:39 PM by Tim Martin »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2022, 08:07:06 PM »
Wayne Kozun, yes, there are 5 independent members of the Board and only 4 players.  But I am told by people on the Board, that the Board always defers to the players on any issue that affects them.  The independents' role is to provide business advice and consul only, and decisions are not made on a split-vote basis.
I've heard that too, and again, it's going to 5 and 5 in January (with the next batch).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2022, 01:35:04 AM »
Make of this what you will, but someone on Twitter posted the tentative 2023 LIV schedule. In summary, 9 U.S. tournaments out of 14, plus one in Canada or Mexico. Dates and places:

Feb 3-5 Florida (vs. Pebble Beach)
Feb 24-26 California (vs. Honda)
Mar 17-19 Tucson / Dove Mountain (vs. Valspar)
Apr 14-16 Australia (vs. Heritage, long trip week after Masters)
Apr 28-30 Singapore (vs. Mexico Open)
May 12-14 Washington (vs. Nelson leading into PGA)
June 23-25 Philadelphia / Trump Philly likely (vs. Travelers week after US Open)
June 30-July 2 London / Centurion (vs. Rocket Mortgage)
July 14-16 Spain (vs. Scottish Open leading into British)
Aug 4-6 New Jersey / Bedminster (vs. Wyndham)
Aug 18-20 West Virginia / Greenbrier (vs. BMW)
Sept 1-3 Chicago / Rich Harvest
Sept 15-17 Toronto or Mexico
Sept 29-Oct 1 Florida / Doral Team Championship
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2022, 07:23:43 AM »
Make of this what you will, but someone on Twitter posted the tentative 2023 LIV schedule. In summary, 9 U.S. tournaments out of 14, plus one in Canada or Mexico. Dates and places:
Not exactly what you'd picture from a group touting how "world-wide" they are.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Daryl David

« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2022, 11:38:43 AM »
Not exactly what you'd picture from a group touting how "world-wide" they are.

36% of events outside the US. At what percentage would you consider it “world-wide”?  45%, 65%, 100%?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2022, 11:52:37 AM »
Are you starting to understand the entertainment value of the shotgun start?  No tee time anxiety from missing your idols. I’m traveling today and can’t wait to watch on my phone.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »

Feb 3-5 Florida (vs. Pebble Beach)
Feb 24-26 California (vs. Honda)

My guess is that there two will be at Trump properties. Wonder what the rental fees are?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »
As we get more golfers declaring for the LIV Tour, I am beginning to see a distinct US vs. non-US tilt.  International players who have settled in the US with the PGA Tour being their principal site seem more likely to move to LIV, although obviously that doesn't explain all the choices.  Both Cam Smith and Lahari have given a desire to spend more time in their home country as a reason to move to LIV.  I'm wondering if the dream of the PGA Tour is more of an USA thing than it is worldwide?
Obviously, guaranteed money is still the key--but home country seems to have some pull as well.  I wonder if non-US boys don't grow up dreaming of playing the PGA Tour the way they do here?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:02:32 PM by Jim Hoak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back