News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Young

Tilly's Anglo-American Club has been found!
« on: August 12, 2022, 03:05:08 PM »
      I’m posting this thread because a number of GCAers have discussed the possible location of the golf course for the Anglo-American Club. Yesterday, Alain Chaput, a Canadian gentleman who has a passion for locating the sites of golf courses built in his home country that have become lost over time, emailed me, as he has a number of times over the past decade. For one of these, the golf course of the Anglo-American Club, was designed by A. W. Tillinghast. Tilly included this project in his 1926 tri-fold advertising brochure. He also listed it as being 27-holes. The same brochure states that it was located at “Lac L’Achigan, Province of Quebec.”
      In December, 1922, Tilly wrote an article titled, “Rough Going,” in which he stated, “The reference to rocky country calls to mind the professional visit recently made into the Province of Quebec, where the writer planned a course in the heart of the Laurentians.” He would mention visiting the project on several other occasions. He even sent two telegrams, one on September 5th and December 5th, 1924, from Montreal where he was overseeing work underway including at the Anglo-American Club, to Baltimore 5 Farms regarding the project there that was also underway.
      Evidently, shortly around either late 1926 or by the middle of 1927, the project came to a halt, probably due to financial problems. We can now state this conclusively because of the image below, which shows an aerial photograph taken in 1929 of a site on the "Chemin du Lac de l'Achigan" road nearby "Camp Bruchesi" on one side and a corresponding modern day aerial photograph of the same area showing the same area.
      The 1929 photograph includes two areas on which he and an aerial photograph expert with whom he collaborated were able to identify as the two holes that Tilly described in his articles about their construction. Also, they saw what appears to be the building that was to become the clubhouse. A careful look at this land also shows areas that may also be where other holes were in the process of construction as well.
      The modern photograph shows that the entire property where the course and club weas to be, as well as the entire surrounding area, has become a mature and nearly impenetrable forest. It is because the 1929 aerial photograph shows the project as being nowhere near completion and most likely abandoned, that I state above that the cancelling most likely occurred between late 1926 or by the middle of 1927.
      Alain has made a number of trips to this area through the more than 10 years that he has been searching for it. One of the reasons why I am in agreement with him that this must be the site is because it is the only are large enough to build a club anywhere near the size of the proposed Anglo-American club that has relatively flat land. This is important, as I quoted Tilly above as writing that it was located “in the heart of the Laurentians.”
      Alain Chaput deserves every ounce of credit for both this discovery and his stubborn determination not to stop until he did. He also gave me permission to quote him directly from the email discussions we’ve had since yesterday:
      This is some of what he wrote in two different emails that will be included in the thread: "After many years of research, I found the exact location of Anglo American Club…As per the document attached and the aerial picture on the left (taken in 1929), you can see the 2 holes Tillinghast is referring to in the articles. Everything he says is corresponding with what we see in this pic. This is the only relatively flat portion around the lake. It is now clear that for whatever reasons, Anglo American club was never completed. Unfortunately, the area is now a dense forest and everything is gone, including the structure that was probably projected for the clubhouse…There is a slight opening from the main road (Chemin du Lac de l’Achigan) to access the building with the red roof that you see on the pic on the right. If there are remnants of the clubhouse, they should be near the main road. I plan to go back there later this summer of this fall to check it out."
      Also, "In a nutshell, I’ve been researching Anglo American Club for at least… I would say 10 years now (maybe more). This club has always been the biggest mystery of all for me. I went around the lake 3 times in 5 years, met various people, interviewed a few, searched the Quebec National archives web site, contacted the municipality, etc. etc… It has only been recently that I met a lady who is an absolute expert at researching aerial photographs from the Quebec government database. It was while we were both searching for photographs of another golf club in the Laurentians (Alpine Golf Club) that I asked her if she could search for an aerial pic of Lac l’Achigan in the 1920’s… The area was quite large but she has the ability to evaluate the slopes of an area so this was crucial in finding the right area to explore for AAC since we knew that only 2 holes were stretching and the rest of the course was likely flat. 3 weeks later, she sent me the pic. It cost me 37$ but I didn’t care at that point. Another personal comment I should add is about the “clubhouse”. Since only 2 holes (or a few more) were built, I doubt that the administrators would have invest in the construction of a clubhouse before the course was completed. My feeling is that the 1929 pic that I sent you is showing a building that was probably a big house already on site prior 1922 and the plan was to transform it in a clubhouse once the course completed…My 2 cents…"
      As I've forgotten how to post images, Joe Bausch is doing me the favor and posting the side by side aerial photographs that I mentioned above.
      Bravo Alain!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:10:16 PM by Phil Young »

Joe Bausch

Re: Tilly's Anglo-American Club has been found!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 03:08:03 PM »
Here is the image to go with Phil's post above:

(note it is clickable to a much larger size)

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing, very interesting info.  I wonder what the origins of the club name are?  Do we know who the names of the founders of the club?

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 04:21:56 PM »

Hopefully this will work if you click on it.

My apologies, I don't know why it isn't showing the text to click on just a blank space where it is supposed to be. When I go to preview mode it no longer showing the text but it is showing the image, but won't when I save it as I am now. Hopefully we'll figure this out...
To answer your question Wayne, There were several "Anglo-American Clubs" from at least mid-1800s onward. In 1844 Brooklyn, NY had the Anglo-American Shooting Club. In 1868 Belfast had the Anglo-American Rowing Club, in 1870 London had the Anglo-American Club which appears to have been the hub of all those before and after. It referred to itself as a "center of knowledge and influence on American Affairs." Among others founded in Europe including one in Paris and Milan. One thing they all had in common was that the members were sports enthusiasts. The one that was in Montreal and which hired Tilly, had a large number of hunter/shooters. They owned a private site where they could hunt and shoot, especially game birds, but evidently the city was applying pressure on them and other hunting clubs due to a greatly diminishing number of game birds due to being over-hunted. This would explain why they decided to open this new club some distance from Montreal where they could freely hunt as much as they liked in addition to adding the new golf course for play. Why it failed before it was ever completed and opened for use by the members is unknown, but it would seem that it may have fallen victim to the growing financial difficulties that would end with the stock market crashes and world-wide depression.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:44:52 PM by Phil Young »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 04:49:09 PM »
One question I would have is Why was the land clear of tress in the 1920s?  Had it recently been logged?  Or was it cleared specifically for the golf course construction.  Surely that area would have been forested prior to colonialization.

Was the routing going to use some of the existing lakes just north of the first two holes, like Lac Jimmy and Lac des Sable?

Phil Young

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 05:10:43 PM »
Wayne,

I'm assuming that you got the picture I sent you because you can see just how clear the land was of trees. In fact, when Tilly went to the site the first time, that is exactly what he was expecting to see. In the December, 1922 edition of Golf Illustrated, Tilly wrote an article with the title, "Rough Going." In it he stated:      In this article, Tilly states, “The reference to rocky country calls to mind the professional visit recently made into the Province of Quebec, where the writer planned a course in the heart of the Laurentians. The section is some sixty miles north of Montreal, on the very edge of the ‘Big Woods,’ and in the heart of a beautiful lake country. After leaving the Canadian Pacific Railway, a ten-mile journey into the back country was necessary, and my impression as the car covered the miles was not promising, for on all sides large rocks and boulders showed themselves and the small farms had been tilled by the inhabitants fatiguing, patient work in the clearing of stones. Mountains showed hard faces of rocks through the timber, with every indication of iron ore in sufficient quantities to affect the compass somewhat.
      “When Lac L’Achigan was reached the terrain was very pleasing, with particularly fine contours, but the great rocks seemed to be everywhere. However, the tract which had been selected for the course was comparatively free of rocks, which evidently had been removed by the farmers. The soil showed a fine sandy loam, over gravel, with a clay hard-pan bottom. As a matter of fact, investigation showed that the rocks generally were only on the surface and plowing is not at all difficult, only two holes stretched over rocky country, and the treatment of this may be of interest.
    "It so happens that the course finds its way gradually from the clubhouse site to higher levels, so gradually that no stiff climbing is made necessary. The two holes in question cover this gradual ascent and the rocks are being slipped down the slopes to the gentle gullies at the bottoms, where they will be covered with soil, this operation making away with the rocks and reducing the grades which otherwise would have to be taken by the players."
    Evidently Tilly was given a tract of land that had been turned into farmland to build the 27-holes he designed. As for the routing, there are no known drawings of his design or even sketches of it in newspapers of which I know.
[size=78%]      [/size]
[size=78%] [/size]

Phil Young

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 05:16:20 PM »
AAC_123(3)

Thankfully it finally uploaded! The four hours point to the bend in the road and location of the entrance and site of clubhouse and parking. That same bend can be seen in the current photograph. The two parallel arrows show the two holes that Tilly wrote about in Golf Illustrated. The arrow on the top points to the same small building that today can be seen in the trees with the red roof.

I believe that several other holes can be identified and after suggesting these to Alain, he is going to contact the aerial photo expert he has worked with to see if others are there. For example, I believe one hole runs left along the road. Where the green would be there appears to be another hole that would run up to the tree line. A third one I believe may be from where the left hole that Alain identified ends and goes up and turns into the circular area in the trees. Another possible one would be to the right of the trees and certainly would make a very good "Boomerang Hole" that Tilly wrote about less than two years before the Anglo-American project began.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 06:01:14 PM by Phil Young »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 05:20:42 PM »
Ok thanks.  Looking at the area on Google maps today it is all forested.  The farmland seems to end several miles south or east.  I wonder if it was crappy for farming and the farmers in the area eventually gave up? 

That's what happened to my ancestors - when they came from Eastern Europe they were given land in Manitoba to farm but it wasn't very fertile and they eventually gave up and moved away.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 08:00:04 PM »
Nice work Alain

It is in fact crappy land for farming, the laurentians is the entrance to the canadian shield from a Montréal standpoint. One of the oldest land mass on earth... Old eroded mountains generated a hilly landscape presenting rocky outcrops, sand gravely areas, peaty depressions filled wit water and here and there some ok soil for individual farming...
So a lot of the forest was cut for timber and cattle farming was doable... but when agriculture became an industry after ww2... the laurentians is definitely not suitable for that purpose... so the forest took over...

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 09:59:30 PM »
At the turn of the century much of Vermont was open pasture. Originally cleared for grazing sheep, and around 1880 for cows. I would suspect Quebec province was no different.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 12:03:02 AM »
Sorry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 12:09:44 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 04:23:43 AM »

Joe's link does not appear to work in Chrome at least and Phil's image is small.  Here's another link that should work.  It's clickable for a larger version of the image.

Phil Young

Re: Tilly's Anglo-American Club has been found! New
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 07:36:42 AM »
Bryan,

Many thanks for the help! Alain has been busy following up with further research into this club and course. He emailed me yesterday with this information: "The course was located on lots numbered 24A, 24 B et 23C. In 1918, these lots were acquired by 2 gentlemen: James Glashan, engineer from Montreal & Urgel Fournelle, merchant from St.-Hippolyte. Were these 2 gentlemen associated with AAC and-or were they involved in a transaction with AAC around 1922? So far, I don't know. But I found who owns the land today so I will try to reach out to him..."

He also attached two articles written in French that showed two other clubs that were in Lac L'Achigan at that time. One article, dated November 17, 1923 was about the "Rangers Fish and Game Club Ltd." The other one is especially interesting. Dated March 15, 1930, it is about the "Lake L'Achigan Golf and Country Club Ltd."

If you speak French and would like copies of these let me know and I'll forward them to you.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 09:00:16 AM by Phil Young »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back