News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Can houses ever enhance a golf course?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2022, 10:25:07 PM »
Housing is basically a frame for the picture. Ornate framing usually doesn't work. The frame has to work with the picture.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2022, 11:06:18 PM »
There's the frame--and the margins (see Derrida).
newmonumentsgc.com

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »
1. Half-way houses? Yes.
2. Out-houses? Yes, sometimes it's a challenge to relieve oneself on course.
3. Pump-house? Yes, the super loves his irrigation system!
4. Clubhouses? Yes, great place to gather.

That about covers the need for houses I should think...;-)

Jason Topp

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »
When I was a kid I thought the house to the left of the 5th at Spyglass Hill would be the coolest spot to live.

During my treasured round at MPCC, Bob Huntley said that house changes hands frequently.  The setting is spactacular but the smell from the upwind seals and birds is horrible. 

Bruce Katona

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »
Aren't there homes that abut a few holes at Mid-Ocean Club?  I'm assuming either the landscape  screening prevents visual intrusion or the Bermuda style architecture enhances the visual?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2022, 01:14:25 PM »
What would Hogan have aimed at if there wasn’t a house beyond #10 at Winged Foot?  What fun is #17 at The Old Course if you can’t skirt or carry the shed/hotel with your tee shot?  How much less scary is #18 at North Berwick if there we no cars/homes just right of the green?  Who can’t picture Donald Ross sitting on his porch as you walk up the 3rd hole at Pinehurst #2?  How can you play Belair and not be thinking about "my mansion is bigger than your mansion".,,, ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »

Not sure if these qualify. But the top one is my ipad background. I used to have a photo that someone posted of Prestwick that I thought looked amazing, with houses on the surrounds. The above photo is similar, but not quite there.

Rich Goodale, RIP, did a My Home Course on Dornoch, and I teased him about it just being another housing development course, due to a few photos he included.

I do love the quaint surroundings for older UK courses.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2022, 09:51:48 PM »
I have only played the Country Club of Detroit once; however, the mansions in the front 9 did not detract from my experience and I found myself enjoying the course and the housing.  IMO many things when done well can work together-  the housing on CCD is done well and is well off all of the fairways.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back