News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Dunwoodie Design attribution - for V. Kmetz
« on: August 08, 2022, 11:11:55 AM »
V. Kmetz,

Came across this today and recalled you expressed interest in the origins of this place.   No one famous, apparently, but hoping you find this of value from a 1927 Yonkers Statesman article.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V. Kmetz

Re: Dunwoodie Design attribution - for V. Kmetz
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
Awesome Mike... there's many Statesmen articles which came close to this level of definition, but none that speaks so definitively and coordinates with the context of others.

Thank you for this find. 

While I recognize that the County really chopped up the routing when they took it over in 1957, and though none of us ever got to play the original but in aerials and descriptions, all my investigations say that was one hell of a members course.  Currently, the 280 yd 1st, the 385 yard 4th (as splendid a view of Manhattan from the green as perhaps any Met course), 255 yd 9th - all originals - are the most interesting holes.  Even as a dusty hardpan muni, this place would be fun to see with some TLC.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 08:45:51 AM »
Maybe we can get a fall group out there?

Guarantee Bausch and I would be interested.   It might be fun trying to look at the old routing in comparison to what is there today.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »
This map of the 1930 routing of Dunwoodie was posted previously by Jim Kennedy.   Not sure how much it was changed from 1906 but might be an instructional artifact to determine 1957 routing changes.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
This map of the 1930 routing of Dunwoodie was posted previously by Jim Kennedy.   Not sure how much it was changed from 1906 but might be an instructional artifact to determine 1957 routing changes.

It seems to me that between the 1925-26 aerials, the 1927 article you refreshed with, this 1930 map and the 1940 aerials... the only visible substantive "routing" change from what was there 1906-1926 is the direction of the Par 3 10th hole.  In the pre 27 version...the par 3 10th plays westward, from a tee just a short path over the entry road after exiting the 9th.  In the 30 map and 40 aerials, we note that NOW the 10th plays to what was formerly the putting green, encircled by bunkers. Now when you exited the 9th green, you walked a little further westward to a tee, about halfway to old 10th green, and faced 90 degrees right, back at the clubhouse to that aforementioned "former" practice green...and when you finished you walked a bit further back south to meet the 11th tee, which was positioned more conveniently to the now-abandoned, old 10th green.

Do thus, the 1925-26 aerials reflect the original routing right from the get-go in 1906..., with this 10th hole re-routing the first and most substantial (besides the later destruction of the oldest 220 version of the 7th, described in the article) change?  It seems that way... for the article (and others circa pieces I've read) seem to indicate a refurbishment to go along with the change in membership corporation/real estate structure...all of this in what would've been their 21st year of operation... what is a little bit ironic is that in all 3 incarnations have held a one shot 10th hole.

PS: Interested in Fall rd...will follow up with PM later.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »

Mike:

There's a 1915 article that tells a slightly different story, and includes a map of the course from that time period.  Also, can you cite the date of your article?[/font][/size]

The course was noted as undergoing alterations in 1913 and 1915.

Thanks

Sven

March 9, 1915 Evening Telegram -

[/font][/size]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:02:34 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

V. Kmetz

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »
As usual, wonderful Sven...Mike...Joe...Jim

The formatting was wonky Sven, were you addressing my previous comments on substantial changes?

If I had a little time, I could provide a breakdown, maybe tonight.

Short version:

• 5, 7, 10 are the things changed the most dramatically
  • What was the 11th hole from 1906-57 (and until 1982 the 10th)  was obliterated by the driving range installed in the early 80s.
  • Original 12th was lengthened and doglegged back to Old 13th tee, now appears as 11th
  • Original 13th was lost, re-aimed into new green site, as the current 12th
  • The old 600 yard 18th was trimmed into a 440 yd 17th and 160 yard 18th, with result of renumbering of back nine holes...

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 08:25:10 AM »
Sven,

This is what Jim Kennedy wrote some time back on Ed Oden's course maps and routings thread where I copied the routing map.

There's a 1915 diagram of this course that was posted earlier, here's one from 1930:  Dunwoodie - The Yonkers Statesman, July 19, 1930

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back