News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Wolf Point Sale
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
The Cape Wickham thread reminded me to check on Wolf Point. It was sold last year, but I could not find any info about the new owner or their plans.

Mike Worth

Re: Wolf Point Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 05:22:14 PM »
Dormie Network bought it a couple of years ago. I think it was a blind auction but I’m not certain

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 07:33:23 PM »
 8)  WP is definitely within the Dormie ownership but not the network.  I inquired about it and membership privileges earlier this year as its only a 3 hour drive away and was told by Zach Peed (the owner) that they have some plans for Wolf, now called TX0 (the airport code) while its not formally a part of the network, it still has access via invitation as they develop it out. As well, they had made it fly in only.

Would love to play it again, hope someday they'll allow folks to drive in through the gate and meander up the driveway to that great little clubhouse and walk up the hill to tee it up randomly... 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 02:00:12 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:37:54 PM »
The kid has balls.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
As well, they had made it fly in only.
What does fly in only mean?  You can't access the course via roads?  I can see fly in only for a fishing lodge in Alaska, but how does that work for a site in Texas close to towns?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 01:12:50 AM »
What does fly in only mean?  You can't access the course via roads?  I can see fly in only for a fishing lodge in Alaska, but how does that work for a site in Texas close to towns?

In this case the runway is on site.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
Steve, where do you live? I once drove it in an hour.

Wayne, when Al owned it the neighboring towns didn't have access unless they were lucky.
If you want to play, arrive via plane or helicopter.

I assume now motivated Sam will have his own plane any day now!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 01:05:05 PM »
 8)  Mike, its like 150 miles from The Woodlands so it should be like 2.5 hours, when no traffic, but you know how to get there, don't have to make senior moment pit stops, and we got lost having missed the entrance gate once... but we did make it!  Now, don't tell me you drive at 90 mph all the way there from Memorial...

I wish I could have scraped the $ together to acquire WP...  now just focused on developing my 10 acre Executive PnP at Blue Lake in MI...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »
Steve, where do you live? I once drove it in an hour.

Wayne, when Al owned it the neighboring towns didn't have access unless they were lucky.
If you want to play, arrive via plane or helicopter.

I assume now motivated Sam will have his own plane any day now!

The headline would read straight out of The Onion.

"Amateur pilot with no experience killed flying stolen plane to golf course."

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 06:01:11 PM »
Locals said he'd kept circling low over the finishing holes, looking for a Biarritz, and may have run out of fuel. "The thing is, Sam was always enamoured of those European-type words -- and of cats, too, for some reason"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:06:09 PM by PPallotta »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 07:16:19 PM »
Locals said he'd kept circling low over the finishing holes, looking for a Biarritz, and may have run out of fuel. "The thing is, Sam was always enamoured of those European-type words -- and of cats, too, for some reason"

So much truth in such a short statement.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 09:32:17 AM »
Bromance
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 01:41:46 PM »

It's not the easiest place to find. And you're in rural South Texas. If you pull into the wrong person's driveway wearing a fruity golf outfit asking for directions, you're liable to get shot. I'd take my chances stealing a plane.

Luke Sutton

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »
I have made the trip once since the new ownership took over. Yes, it is fly in only. Dianna had built an awesome runway on the property when she owned it and the new owner Zach is taking advantage of that. Nuzzo is right, rent a plane or helicopter and you are welcome at TX0. About the name… Dianna didn’t sell them the name Wolf Point due to her current business interests under the same name so they took the name of the airport code.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 08:52:29 PM »
I guess if enough riff-raff finds access to generic planes they can always mandate the type or ownership rules of the arrivals.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
Sam got a PJ?
 ;)

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »
I feel like sometimes golf provides fortuitous bounces.

Like, for instance, having a member of the discussion group that’s 1) played TX0 a lot 2) holds an Airline Transport Pilot rating and 3) has flown over TX0 and has a knowledge of the airspace in that part of Texas.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 12:05:13 PM »
Prediction:  The fast and cool fly-in crowd will soon tire of the subtle brilliance of Wolf Point and a substantial renovation will follow.  It is a course ripe for needless tinkering. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 02:09:44 PM »
I hope you're wrong, Mike, at least on the renovations part.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 02:23:10 PM »
The Dormie Network management has shown a respect for architecture that deserves better. KOKO is in great hands.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 01:09:39 PM »
I have always been fascinated with that place.

From what I'm reading, at present, in order to play, all you have to do is somehow arrange air flight into TXO?

Not that anyone needs to be worried about me showing up; I shall have much better odds obtaining a ride on a space ship captained by My Favorite Martian, or Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

But is that really all you have to do is fly in there? One certainly must have pre-arranged clearance to land. Surely there has to be more to it; One couldn't just get in a plane without any notice, fly over there, contact the control tower, and say, "I'm coming in" land and then go play. That seems ridiculous.

This sort of thing only increases the fascination for me about this place. Certainly an interesting history and future it has.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »
I have always been fascinated with that place.

From what I'm reading, at present, in order to play, all you have to do is somehow arrange air flight into TXO?

Not that anyone needs to be worried about me showing up; I shall have much better odds obtaining a ride on a space ship captained by My Favorite Martian, or Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

But is that really all you have to do is fly in there? One certainly must have pre-arranged clearance to land. Surely there has to be more to it; One couldn't just get in a plane without any notice, fly over there, contact the control tower, and say, "I'm coming in" land and then go play. That seems ridiculous.

This sort of thing only increases the fascination for me about this place. Certainly an interesting history and future it has.

You must be a member of the Dormie Network.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 07:56:15 PM »
TW,

Now that is much more logical and attainable than me arranging for space ship transport.

Being in Atlanta, GA, and their initial cluster of clubs in the SE, I had thought about joining, but I just don't travel enough.

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate you taking the mystery out of it for me.

That place, and a review I read of it once, seems like a really special place.

Thanks again sir.

Jim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back