News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Far Flung
« on: August 03, 2022, 09:23:28 PM »
There are courses on six continents and I know some of them are extremely remote.

What's the most isolated place you've played golf?

WW

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Far Flung
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 09:28:35 PM »
I've played in Indonesia and Malaysia.  England, Ireland, Scotland, and Spain in Europe.  All the famous ones in Australia and a few others.

I forget I also played in Singapore, Canada, and the Philipines.  The course in the Philipines was pretty far out of Manilla, and would be the only one I would consider remote.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:06:09 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 09:31:55 PM »
Hawaii and Ireland…far but not remote.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 10:43:45 PM »
I thought this was going to be an OT thread on club tossing.
I've logged about 500 and the most remote was Christmas Valley in the middle of southeast Oregon. Must be a homey,

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 11:14:35 PM »
As a kid from the Canadian prairies, Barnbougle Dunes is the most remote golf course I've played.

Tyler

ward peyronnin

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 09:14:05 AM »
Ballyliffin
No one around and we played a fivesome with the caddie capt and his harem of four middle aged women members.
Other than the total paucity of shrubbery it worked great
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »
Wow, I don't know how to define this.  Away from people, or away from other golf courses?

If it's away from people, then somewhere like Dismal River or Cape Wickham might be in the mix.

If it's away from other golf courses, then it's gotta be Magellanes GC in Punta Arenas, near the south tip of Chile.  Although I guess Lofoten Links in Norway would give that a run for its money.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 10:45:47 AM »
Yeah, I think Lofoten is the most remote place I've played. Askernish feels like the end of the world but it's only 45 minutes by plane from Glasgow. Cape Breton Highlands has a bit of that 'end of the world' feel too.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 11:16:03 AM »
Away from people (both in reality and psychologically): Primland.

I Cannot Believe There is a Course Here: Mt. Massive. Talk about carry at high altitudes.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 11:20:06 AM »
When I had a rusty bucket list the top position was Coober Pedy, but I never had the remotest chance, geographically.
Come to think of it I may have been about 7 miles away, but that was on an airplane from Adelaide to Uluru.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:08:34 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
Nuuk?
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 07:26:25 AM »

Nuuk?

Have you been there?  That's on my bucket list.

Stanley GC in the Falklands is another very remote spot I haven't been to.  And I think there is a course on Diego Garcia?

The one that Coore & Crenshaw built in Indonesia looks. pretty hard to get to.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 08:10:58 AM »
Nuuk?
Have you been there?  That's on my bucket list.
Stanley GC in the Falklands is another very remote spot I haven't been to.  And I think there is a course on Diego Garcia?
The one that Coore & Crenshaw built in Indonesia looks. pretty hard to get to.
Nuuk, no, wouldn’t mind though. Same with Port Stanley.
There are a couple of courses on the Azores, one laid out by Mackenzie Ross.
Lord Howe Island west of Aussie has a course. So to do St Helena and Ascension Island in the South Atlantic. Believe the Chatham Isles west of NZ has a course although I’m not sure of the quality of some of the latter.
Atb

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 11:50:51 AM »
Thule, Greenland (not a real course) and then over 9,000 miles away in Tasmania.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:54:16 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Doug Bolls

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »
Ira - My son and I played Mt Massive in Colorado a couple of weeks ago.  They claim to be the highest elevation golf course in North America - 10,152 feet is what it says on their pin flags.  We both found it a challenge to operate at that altitude - fortunately we had a bottle of compressed oxygen that helped us through the round.
Mt Massive GC is close to Leadville in remote Colorado - it was a little over an hour from where we were staying in Silverthorn, CO.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 12:35:12 PM »
None really that remote-just feel that way.
Durness Scotland
Traigh GC Scotland(feels remote)
Connemara Isles-(feels remote)

Oreti Sands, NZ (NLE  :'( )
Spey Bay, Scotland
King Island GC Tasmania
Tarraleah GC Tasmania
North Haven, Maine (hour and 10 minute ferry)
The Machrie-before current ownership

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 02:08:49 PM »
Ira - My son and I played Mt Massive in Colorado a couple of weeks ago.  They claim to be the highest elevation golf course in North America - 10,152 feet is what it says on their pin flags.  We both found it a challenge to operate at that altitude - fortunately we had a bottle of compressed oxygen that helped us through the round.
Mt Massive GC is close to Leadville in remote Colorado - it was a little over an hour from where we were staying in Silverthorn, CO.

Doug,

My Sister lives in Leadville which is why we have played Mt. Massive. If you think golf is tough, check out the long distance bike and running races that people flock there for.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 02:32:03 PM »
People have said to me, “Tommy your nuts.” I’ll come back from someplace. While there I will have driven hours to play some obscure course. When we were in South Africa, we took a side trip to Lesotho, and I played Maseru GC.

I was with my assistant in Madagascar and told him to drive to the golf club in Antsirabe and its sand greens.

My wife and I were in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and had our driver bring us to Elephant Hills GC.

We were in Israel and went from Capernaum, the home of Jesus to Caesarea where we played the only course in the country.

We just returned from Norway where we wandered inside the Arctic Circle and played Lofoten Links.

Except for Lofoten Links, the other courses were not very memorable but it sure is fun to do.
So I know some of you have gone way off the beaten path.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 03:38:48 PM »
Tommy — was Caesarea any good? My late friend Richard Wax was very deeply involved with that project.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 04:38:18 PM »
Tommy — was Caesarea any good? My late friend Richard Wax was very deeply involved with that project.

There were a few things interesting about the project. Dye was told to move the corridor to include some expensive homes so they could have golf course frontage. The corridors off the tee were very wide and playable. There are some forced carries off the tee, however. From the  players I observed, there are not many "accomplished" players. Most are still learning the game. The shots into the greens are demanding. Many of the greens are very small and are well bunkered.

I enjoyed the course. Conditioning was spotty. It is a good test but won't beat up the higher handicapper.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 04:41:23 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 04:40:21 PM »

St. John of the Cross

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 04:41:01 PM »
Why is there only one course in Israel?  I realize that much of the country is arid and water is an issue, but so are many other places in the ME that have golf courses.  And I have to think that there are lots of people living in Israel who were long time golfers in America,  the UK, Canada, Australia, etc.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 04:53:36 PM »
Why is there only one course in Israel?  I realize that much of the country is arid and water is an issue, but so are many other places in the ME that have golf courses.  And I have to think that there are lots of people living in Israel who were long time golfers in America,  the UK, Canada, Australia, etc.

Good question. I asked the pro that same question. His answer not mine was that the game is not deeply rooted in the Jewish culture. The course was full the day I played it. 80% of the players walked. The Dye course was a complete redesign of a course that had been there. From what I heard there is another course on the drawing board.

The Maccabiah games were held recently. The winning score for three rounds was 229. He won by 8 shots.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 04:57:04 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2022, 04:57:12 PM »

I had a call from someone years ago who wanted to build a golf course there in sand dunes close to the seaside.

I had some concerns about whether that was a safe destination for my associates, so I sent an email to Tom Friedmann, the former Middle East correspondent for the NYT, who is also a golfer and occasional golf writer.  His response:  "Make sure it's not within mortar range of the Gaza strip."

So, as soon as they achieve peace in the region, I will have a great course to build.  :D

NOTE:  I did get another call recently about a project somewhere over there, but it was pretty vague as to the specifics.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 05:04:29 PM »

I had a call from someone years ago who wanted to build a golf course there in sand dunes close to the seaside.

I had some concerns about whether that was a safe destination for my associates, so I sent an email to Tom Friedmann, the former Middle East correspondent for the NYT, who is also a golfer and occasional golf writer.  His response:  "Make sure it's not within mortar range of the Gaza strip."

So, as soon as they achieve peace in the region, I will have a great course to build.  :D

NOTE:  I did get another call recently about a project somewhere over there, but it was pretty vague as to the specifics.

I realize there are serious problems in the area that cannot be overlooked. But in our two weeks there and in Jordan we never felt unsafe.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back