News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

OT: Fast and Firm - Perfect for the Broken Down and Worn
« on: August 01, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
I played 9 holes yesterday in 2 under, my best score ever,
Have I been working out and eating right? No. But it has been unusually hot and dry here for weeks, and my usually green and lush home course was hard and brown and baked out.
Wow -- no kidding people like 'firm and fast", ie it makes us be much better golfers!
I reached the Par 5 1st in two. I drove within 50 yards of the green on the 2nd. I needed only a hybrid off the tee on the 3rd. I had just an iron in my hand for my approach on the 4th, the longest Par 4 on the course. The 5th is a Par 3, no change. I reached the Par 5 6th in two. I had a gap wedge approach left on the 7th. The 8th is a Par 3, no change. I had an PW left on the Par 4 9th hole.
I got a glimpse of what the long bombers must feel like. It felt good. Three birdies, one bogey.
You want to 'grow the game'? Turn off the water and pull out the irrigation and promote fast and firm. The young, the old, the weak and the infirm, and the broken down and worn will be flocking to your gates.
I'm going back today and play again, before the weather calls for 3 days of rain!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 12:44:42 PM by PPallotta »

Sean_A

Re: Sort of OT: Fast and Firm - Perfect for the Broken Down and Worn
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
Let us know how you get on today.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
Let us know how you get on today.
Quite unlikely that I will repeat or come close to a -2, since I'm a mid handicapper who on that day was striking the ball exceptionally well. But the fast and firm condition was certainly THE factor yesterday in producing a fine score -- ie, no matter how well I might play, I'm never otherwise reaching Par 5s in two, or approaching greens with mere wedges and short irons time and time again. Not surprisingly my lone bogey was on one Par 3, and only a lucky bounce saved my from bogeying the other Par 3.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:03:32 PM by PPallotta »

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 03:58:31 PM »
Amen, brother!

When I lived in Pierre, SD, the course was a lush jungle of bluegrass rough in June, and almost impossible to score on.  By late July I had picked up 40+ yards off the tee and my handicap got into the single digits, bottoming out at 5 several summers.

It's why my wife and I spent 6 weeks and 7 weeks in Scotland in 2015 and 2017.

Hoping for at least a month next year.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 05:04:44 PM »
Crystal Downs yesterday was as fast and firm and tan around the edges as I've ever seen it.  It played great.

But, they have currently flagged out where they are going to put 1500 new sprinkler heads, after which I doubt it will ever look or play like this again.   :'(

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 05:18:28 PM »
Cabot Links and Cliffs are playing very F&F right now and it is lots of fun.
Here is 18 at Links:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:05:15 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Thomas Dai

Re: OT: Fast and Firm - Perfect for the Broken Down and Worn
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 02:05:26 PM »
I played 9 holes yesterday in 2 under, my best score ever,
Have I been working out and eating right? No. But it has been unusually hot and dry here for weeks, and my usually green and lush home course was hard and brown and baked out.
Wow -- no kidding people like 'firm and fast", ie it makes us be much better golfers!
I reached the Par 5 1st in two. I drove within 50 yards of the green on the 2nd. I needed only a hybrid off the tee on the 3rd. I had just an iron in my hand for my approach on the 4th, the longest Par 4 on the course. The 5th is a Par 3, no change. I reached the Par 5 6th in two. I had a gap wedge approach left on the 7th. The 8th is a Par 3, no change. I had an PW left on the Par 4 9th hole.
I got a glimpse of what the long bombers must feel like. It felt good. Three birdies, one bogey.
You want to 'grow the game'? Turn off the water and pull out the irrigation and promote fast and firm. The young, the old, the weak and the infirm, and the broken down and worn will be flocking to your gates.
I'm going back today and play again, before the weather calls for 3 days of rain!
Perhaps it might be more enjoyable if the tees were moved forward when conditions aren’t firm and fast?
Atb

ward peyronnin

Re: OT: Fast and Firm - Perfect for the Broken Down and Worn
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 09:18:50 AM »
Same experience here in Evanspatch Indiana
shot 73 two weeks ago and not only is it funner to hit  8 instead of 5 irons the thrill of wondering whether your ball will run out well or bad for those extra precious seconds is most titallating.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back