News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

What's your preferred championship course at Bandon?
« on: July 30, 2022, 03:38:22 PM »
We've seen high level competition at Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes including the current US Junior Am. Seems like stroke play qualifying in those competitions often has included Bandon Trails. I can't recall high level competition on Old Mac. Sheep Ranch is definitely too new and probably too short to have hosted much decent competition play.

What's the best course at Bandon for hosting competition? Where would you most want to play a club championship, and is it different from where you do/would most like watching great players play?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Sven Nilsen

Re: What's your preferred championship course at Bandon?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 03:58:24 PM »
The men's 4 Ball was played on Old Mac a few years ago.

For high level amateurs, Bandon Dunes offers the most flexibility with respect to length.  There are tees out there that stretch the normal Black tee distance back quite a bit.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 05:05:11 PM »
There are back/USGA tees on Bandon Dunes that are pretty unbelievable.  Some players were hitting wedge into #9 during this week's US Junior, though, with the hole playing well over 500 yards.

I agree that Sheep Ranch lacks the elastic length required for a USGA event, and there really isn't any way (or reason) to "fix" that.

WW

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:07:59 PM »
Just heard on TV that this USGA Juniors is the 8th USGA championship to be played at Bandon. That is impressive given how relatively young the resort is. All credit to Keiser & Co. for making the courses there available for championship play. 

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 10:37:55 PM »
The ol' Publinx used Old Mac, I want to say it was in 2014 or so when the men and women were there at the same time?

I feel like Trails is the toughest, if that's what's important for these USGA competitions. And if you've got rounds going all day seems like it is a little more protected from the wild changes in the weather/wind.

Bandon Dunes has a lot of fun match play holes on the back nine.

Those two seem to be a good pair, that's what they used both this week and for the US Am a couple of years ago.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 11:12:45 PM »
Bandon Dunes probably has the most ability to mimic the majority of golf courses because the fairways are not tilted. The ball pretty much goes where you hit it, which is not true at PD or BT. There is more of a comfort level for golfers.

JohnVDB

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 01:33:57 AM »
The ol' Publinx used Old Mac, I want to say it was in 2014 or so when the men and women were there at the same time?

I feel like Trails is the toughest, if that's what's important for these USGA competitions. And if you've got rounds going all day seems like it is a little more protected from the wild changes in the weather/wind.

Bandon Dunes has a lot of fun match play holes on the back nine.

Those two seem to be a good pair, that's what they used both this week and for the US Am a couple of years ago.

Both the Mens and Womens Public Links were played on Old Mac at the same time with Trails also being used.

Matthew Galloway

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 11:09:46 PM »
pac dunes and trails would provide the sternest test for a high level (mens) championship event.

at Pac possibility of shifting par on 3/12 and room for borrowing tees for some creative unfortunate length finding

the most recent us am at trails the first tee was set on 2tee from preserve.

old mac certainly with fun hole locations and conditions could create a very strong test as well. loads of possibilities

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 07:26:52 AM »
Any of them.

Does chopping a shot off par on a hole determine a better champion?
Does a 500 yard par 4 (that "they hit wedge into" anyway) separate skill levels?
Would the better player not win that week at Sheep Ranch?
Would the best player not adapt and find a way to make the ball go where he intended , by realizing it may not end up "where he hit it"?

All the courses at Bandon are fantastic and would be fun not only to play, but to spectate live or on TV.

For once, it might just be fun to see an elite competition played somewhere they haven't bult/improvised a bunch of new back tees, or for that matter spent months/years modifying/prepping a place.

You know, like the retail client plays nearly every time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 08:18:12 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 12:50:26 PM »
Sitting in our room at Bandon as I write, I offer the following obvious observation: the wind is what makes it intriguing to watch even top players play here. Flighting the ball and judging the distances is such an unusual challenge on US courses. Having said that, I would not go as far to say that Sheep Ranch is a true championship test for top amateurs given its length unless the wind is really blowing hard.

What I have found educational about how golfers think about a trip here is that many who complain about the wind at home seem fully embrace it here (although we had a playing partner who is an exception). My only explanation is that very few of us in the US play on windy seaside courses that the unusual becomes the great at least for the days spent at Bandon, especially given the scenic setting. I do wonder though how many appreciate the routing and why their caddies suggest a particular way to play holes.

Ira

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 04:48:46 PM »
Depends on the championship perhaps; for a short game championship the Preserve is certainly a championship test ;D
W/O getting into what all makes a "championship test" I would submit that while Pac Dunes seems to regularly be the top vote getter competitors seem to prefer less quirk but that is what makes Pac Dunes so appealing. I think BD presents a more conventional championship presence and then Bandon Trails. At least one Trails weakness for a championship  that I recall after only one play is that the holes are largely individual frames that do not tie together in many places and hence foster a sense of isolation.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 11:59:34 AM »
It was a deliberate decision not to build "championship" tees at Pacific Dunes.  During construction, Mike Davis came up to visit and whispered into Mr. Keiser's ear that Pacific could host "any" event if it just had a few more back tees.  I laughed and said if they committed to a U.S. Open, I would find 300 more yards, but short of that it didn't need any.  Bandon Dunes was 7200 yards when they built it, and I volunteered that if they hosted the U.S. Amateur they would do it there.

I actually had to remind Mr. Keiser I'd said that a couple of years before the Amateur.  They were considering using a composite course of Bandon and Pacific, finishing on 13 at Pacific, and I thought that would be very strange and almost a sign of weakness.  Plus, often the final match doesn't get to the last hole, anyway.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 09:58:24 PM »
Having said that, I would not go as far to say that Sheep Ranch is a true championship test for top amateurs given its length unless the wind is really blowing hard.

Ira, your comment brought to mind one of my rounds at SR.  We were three groups ahead of the guy who made this post on Twitter back in March 2021.  We were soaked and freezing!  Canceled our afternoon round and played cards instead!

https://twitter.com/EricAdams20/status/1373053699715600384?s=20&t=kOdVW-2LSd2q8cfpnPdC0A

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back