News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

What's your preferred championship course at Bandon?
« on: July 30, 2022, 03:38:22 PM »
We've seen high level competition at Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes including the current US Junior Am. Seems like stroke play qualifying in those competitions often has included Bandon Trails. I can't recall high level competition on Old Mac. Sheep Ranch is definitely too new and probably too short to have hosted much decent competition play.

What's the best course at Bandon for hosting competition? Where would you most want to play a club championship, and is it different from where you do/would most like watching great players play?
"There will always be haters. Thatís just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Sven Nilsen

Re: What's your preferred championship course at Bandon?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 03:58:24 PM »
The men's 4 Ball was played on Old Mac a few years ago.

For high level amateurs, Bandon Dunes offers the most flexibility with respect to length.  There are tees out there that stretch the normal Black tee distance back quite a bit.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 05:05:11 PM »
There are back/USGA tees on Bandon Dunes that are pretty unbelievable.  Some players were hitting wedge into #9 during this week's US Junior, though, with the hole playing well over 500 yards.

I agree that Sheep Ranch lacks the elastic length required for a USGA event, and there really isn't any way (or reason) to "fix" that.

WW

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:07:59 PM »
Just heard on TV that this USGA Juniors is the 8th USGA championship to be played at Bandon. That is impressive given how relatively young the resort is. All credit to Keiser & Co. for making the courses there available for championship play. 

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 10:37:55 PM »
The ol' Publinx used Old Mac, I want to say it was in 2014 or so when the men and women were there at the same time?

I feel like Trails is the toughest, if that's what's important for these USGA competitions. And if you've got rounds going all day seems like it is a little more protected from the wild changes in the weather/wind.

Bandon Dunes has a lot of fun match play holes on the back nine.

Those two seem to be a good pair, that's what they used both this week and for the US Am a couple of years ago.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 11:12:45 PM »
Bandon Dunes probably has the most ability to mimic the majority of golf courses because the fairways are not tilted. The ball pretty much goes where you hit it, which is not true at PD or BT. There is more of a comfort level for golfers.

JohnVDB

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 01:33:57 AM »
The ol' Publinx used Old Mac, I want to say it was in 2014 or so when the men and women were there at the same time?

I feel like Trails is the toughest, if that's what's important for these USGA competitions. And if you've got rounds going all day seems like it is a little more protected from the wild changes in the weather/wind.

Bandon Dunes has a lot of fun match play holes on the back nine.

Those two seem to be a good pair, that's what they used both this week and for the US Am a couple of years ago.

Both the Mens and Womens Public Links were played on Old Mac at the same time with Trails also being used.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back