News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Most uphill and downhill holes
« on: July 29, 2022, 08:21:53 PM »
If there’s already a thread on this, feel free to link – I couldn’t find it myself. Here in the Bay Area, number 6 at Round Hill is about 135 feet uphill, and number 18 at Chabot is about 220 feet downhill. These are both according to Google Earth elevations at the tee and green.

I know there are some crazy downhill ones out there, but it seems like there has to be limit to how much uphill a hole can really be. What are some other standout ones, either uphill or downhill?

David_Tepper

Re: Most uphill and downhill holes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 08:31:14 PM »
Matt -

Have you ever measured some of the holes at the Presidio? The elevation change from the 16th tee to the 17th green has got to be substantial.

DT

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 04:07:54 PM by David_Tepper »

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 08:57:40 PM »
I remember a couple of VERY downhill holes at Telluride GC.

WW

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 09:44:36 PM »
No. 1 at Tilden Park in Berkeley is extreme uphill and the only hole I have ever hit a 3 wood off the tee to GAIN yardage.
Also at Chabot no. 9 the par 3 is one of the biggest drop shots I have ever played.
Stonetree in Novato has a long very uphill par 5 and some pretty good changes in elevation.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 09:55:43 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 09:46:54 PM »

[size=78%]#16 at Whitemarsh Valley for uphill. [/size]
[/size][size=78%]#7 Merion East for downhill. [/size]
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:51:24 PM »
Mt. Shasta Resort has a lot of elevation change, mostly on 1,9,10,18 if I remember.
Silvies Valley Ranch Haskins 18 "guarantees" a long drive (unlike me and you hit the mogul jump and the ball rolls back).

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 06:44:15 PM »
Shoutout to The Ranch Golf Club in Southwick, MA. Two par 5s - 9 and 16 - play down former ski hills.

I think I hit driver-pitching wedge into 16 once. It's a 618-yard hole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 06:39:18 AM »
How could I forget a few holes at Galen Hall?!

The 17th/18th are especially uphill. Most of that is made up by the downhill 2nd.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 01:16:54 PM »
I have never seen anything more uphill than Craigie Hills 3rd.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 01:27:38 PM »
The third hole at Northland is a 380yd par 4 that plays 100' uphill. Even after good drive it is hard to believe how much you have left.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 03:04:27 PM »
#1 at Southerndown is pretty steep,.....especially when you send your son/caddie down from the green to the tee and back when you think you've misplaced your pin sheet...later found in back pocket.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »
#1 at Painswick.  It walks a lot longer than the yardage because you have to tack back and forth.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
I would note that it’s easy to get numbers for these. Just go on Google Earth, click on a point, and it shows the coordinates and also the elevation.  :)

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 04:37:15 PM »
The third hole at Northland is a 380yd par 4 that plays 100' uphill. Even after good drive it is hard to believe how much you have left.

And the fifteenth goes down the same hill at 380 yards.  A friend of mine missed an ace by an inch within the last week.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 05:07:56 PM »
I don't know the numbers but 18 at Reddish Vale is significantly uphill.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 05:48:21 PM »
Not really what the thread is about but Legend Golf and Safari Resort has a par 3 that drops approximately 400 meters.  You take a helicopter to get to the tee.  It's a gimmick and not part of the regulation 18 but I would assume it's the largest change in elevation from tee to green.
Extreme 19th hole in South Africa is one epic adventure (golfpass.com)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 10:06:31 PM »
The 1st at Sanctuary in Colorado is 245 feet.

The 10th at Augusta is 110 feet meaning your second shot is really awkward.

The question is do most of the holes have landing areas that are flat or are you playing extreme uphill or downhill shots?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 10:41:53 PM »
Good call on the Sanctuary. The tee ball just stays in the air forever.
Red Sky Ranch Norman’s 16th 284 yard par three is similar. I’m not sure what the vertical drop is but it is significant. The downside of the hole is that the tee gets backed up because everyone plays the hole from 284 yards.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 12:46:09 AM »
The 10th at Alpine has to be the steepest uphill hole from the Golden Age.  Myopia Hunt Club has several extreme up and downhill holes that are both fun and extremely exacting in their shot making demands. 

Jay Mickle

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2022, 08:14:43 AM »
Kelly Blake Moran's par 3 12th at Morgan Hill in Easton,PA drops 150'. The hole commands a great view of the city of Easton and the Delaware River valley.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

MClutterbuck

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
The par 5 18th at El Desafio (that will be seeded this coming summer) measures just over 600 yards and will drop 83 meters - 272 feet ).

It is a challenge to build a good golf hole with this extreme terrain. Fortunately a large part of the drop is from tee to first landing area, and the fairway is thus less downslope than the overall average. You also try to shape flat areas for the ball to stop. And dogleg forming elements such a natives and bunkers in our case will create the interesting strategic aspects for the hole to work well.

The bonus will be the impressive views of the Andes from the top, all the way into Chile.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »
The Steel Club's Hill-9 #3. According to Google Earth - 387yard straight away par 4. Pretty flat hole for the first 175 yards or so and then... 77 foot rise over the last 200 yards of the hole. Last time I played it I remember hitting a 5-wood from about 165 or so and it was barely enough.

Sadly this 9 is going away if it is not already. It was built as "The Bethlehem Steel Club" and was one of Donald Ross' last courses. The Hill 9 was the front 9 of the original 18 and was a crazy fun routing up the side of a mountain. The club quickly (within the first 10 years) had the Gordon's build a third 9 that along with the Ross back 9 became the primary routing.   

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 03:41:51 PM »
The course I have played with most uphill and downhill holes is at Salt Fork State Park in Cambridge, Ohio.

It was a fun, very sporty course. Played it on annual get together for about five years in the early/mid 1980s.

Walked it back then. Imagine that would be tough today.
Tim Weiman

JLahrman

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 10:00:59 AM »
The course I have played with most uphill and downhill holes is at Salt Fork State Park in Cambridge, Ohio.

It was a fun, very sporty course. Played it on annual get together for about five years in the early/mid 1980s.

Walked it back then. Imagine that would be tough today.

I played Salt Fork probably 30-35 years ago when I was a teenager and I don't remember much apart from it being very hilly.

Not sure it could compete with Shawnee Lookout (NLE) near North Bend Ohio for overall elevation change, but Salt Fork is very hilly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back