News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Pevoto

Nuisance golfers…
« on: July 29, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
This is in no way related to my current employment.  ;D   Also not golf architecture, so please forgive the post, but I know this group will know. Somewhere I’ve seen a pic of a sign hanging in a (Scotland/Ireland?) clubhouse that warns, “Nuisance golfers not welcomed.” Or something to that effect.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 09:06:47 AM by Eric Pevoto »
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Eric Pevoto

Re: Nuisance golfers…
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 06:40:07 PM »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 11:25:20 AM »
I've played a handful of clubs where the explicitly operative, economical but unpublished word is "assholes", as in "no assholes permitted here".  While the quality of the course design and a maintenance meld which approximates "ideal" are important to me, I suspect that for many of us, the quality of the membership is just as crucial.  And I am not talking about an ideological or demographically homogeneous membership, but one instead that is respectful of the course (read: rake bunkers, fix ball marks and divots, understand the use of trash receptacles) and fellow members (pace of play, situational awareness).

At my home club, the new corporate owner completed a bunker project a few months back using good technology and sand.  By the end of most days, the bunkers look like herds of animals have gone through them.  Since it is a low-budget operation- we've been lucky to have the bunkers groomed once a week- a few of us have implored the DoG to put out an email reminding the membership to rake the bunkers and to lay-out some consequences for those who refuse.  He finally relented about three weeks ago (albeit without teeth), and the very next day and everyone after, the "assholes" segment of the membership have popped him the bird.

As it relates to nuisance golfers or just common variety assholes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Behavior is difficult to change, and that is why vetting new members and purging the incorrigible are important.  From my experience, corporately-owned golf courses and property managers fail miserably in this regard, instead focusing on expanding monthly revenues and increased initiation fees using the fixed capacity of the course (tee times) and other amenities as the only limits.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:32:27 PM by Lou_Duran »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 05:18:45 PM »
I belonged to a club that was built and owned by one individual, that wanted a club of gentlemen/women. One member scored very high on the "Nuisance golfer" graph. He berated employees and no one would play with him because of his cursing etc. The owner took him aside one day and gave him a check for the initiation fee and told him he was no longer welcome at the club.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:34:20 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 06:18:21 PM »
I suspect that in today's legal environment, it would be difficult to kick someone out without incurring expense and grief.  At a club I once belonged to for years, a lady member who apparently had legal training was able to cajole the club into finishing out a ladies locker room much nicer than the men's, and ultimately, to build a barrier in the men's locker room so the Men's Grill became co-ed.  She also had the habit of calling penalties on her women companions, a practice seen as so excessive that no one would play with her.  The club considered asking her to leave, but ultimately, when the ladies would as soon withdraw from an event when paired with her than to play in it, she finally left.  I have known few managers willing to take the heat in confronting a nuisance member.  Peer pressure might be the most effective solution, though, who wants to piss off a friend? 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:31:04 PM by Lou_Duran »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 06:57:24 PM »
Once when I was younger in a reverse move I donated a pool table for the Proshop. Within 18 months it was nothing but us assholes. Nirvana.

It lasted three years before a dudes mom was beating on the window screeching at him to go home to his wife.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 01:38:09 PM »
Once when I was younger in a reverse move I donated a pool table for the Proshop. Within 18 months it was nothing but us assholes. Nirvana.

It lasted three years before a dudes mom was beating on the window screeching at him to go home to his wife.

Haha!  ;D  That’s a real concern, especially in your case.

The chronic, unreasonable complainers must find some reward in inflicting their pain on others. Why else would they carry that behavior to a golf course, a place simply made for enjoyment?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:56:04 PM by Eric Pevoto »

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
The chronic, unreasonable complainers must find some reward in inflicting their pain on others. Why else would they carry that behavior to a golf course, a place simply made for enjoyment?

Some of them seem to think it's going to change something.

They're wrong.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 10:59:06 PM »

Some of them seem to think it's going to change something.

They're wrong.

Fair point. The paradox of intolerance and all…

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 05:33:08 PM »

Found it. Siasconset. Please go about your business.  ;D https://www.facebook.com/940812565963403/posts/pfbid02rYdj56Krty9cRxcCCDGcs7aB12hMXdhKgyzSGvZv5M5ycYGDFBA47RDfjRg9Lucdl/

My first ever 9 holes was at Siasconset. Learned to play there over a few summers.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 09:27:21 AM »
Ian

Perhaps you would have been wise to determine if that sign appeared before or after your sojourn :-*
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back