News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Watching this?
« on: August 07, 2022, 03:22:48 PM »
Kim just shot a 27 on the front nine...ties Snedekers first nine record... and sizing up Furyk's 58...exactly six years ago today...

Lovely set-up for Faldo's last event behind the mike...as announcers go, he's going on out on his highest notes...his call of Finau from 5 back at the turn two weeks ago...his empathetic narrative of Theegalas great charge and crash back at the Travelers...  his commentary was fun and free in his Open moments too.

Every announcer gets bullshit here, but I have enjoyed Faldo and will miss his contributions to my entertainment. 
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Edward Glidewell

Re: Watching this?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 03:25:17 PM »
It could also potentially be the last time they play on a classic Donald Ross course.

There are rumors that the PGA Tour is pushing hard to have Sedgefield let the Tour staff architect do a serious overhaul of the golf course -- level/flatten numerous greens to take out some of the slopes and add a bunch of bunkers flanking the fairways and greens. It sounds like the Tour essentially want to change it from a Donald Ross course to a random 1990s golf design. They could just call it TPC Greensboro.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 03:28:42 PM »
Play-off for the British Women’s Open is a pretty cool watch.
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 04:04:22 PM »
Catholic Mass in LA this morning. Vin Scully was the subject of the Sermon. My wife leans over and asks me if this is boring or is it her.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »
Sedgefield is really good. I’ve played a a couple of dozen times and love it. The greens are the big protection. They are generally quick and firm. Why would the TOUR want to change them? How someone shoots 27 doesn’t compute with me.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 04:33:05 PM »
Play-off for the British Women’s Open is a pretty cool watch.
Atb

Yes. Was impossible to separate them.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 04:59:30 PM »
Watching the apparent greens speed reminds me that putting is the silliest act of anything even remotely considered a sport.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

V. Kmetz

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »
Catholic Mass in LA this morning. Vin Scully was the subject of the Sermon. My wife leans over and asks me if this is boring or is it her.

How is it that you don't burn straight through the pews and knee stools?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 05:43:13 PM »
What really stands out is the fact that Kim can’t eyeball 10 feet with a four shot lead at the 72nd hole.  He stepped off three paces three times on the 18th fairway!
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »
Is Kim the first winner born this century?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 08:58:22 PM »
Kim just shot a 27 on the front nine...ties Snedekers first nine record... and sizing up Furyk's 58...exactly six years ago today...

Lovely set-up for Faldo's last event behind the mike...as announcers go, he's going on out on his highest notes...his call of Finau from 5 back at the turn two weeks ago...his empathetic narrative of Theegalas great charge and crash back at the Travelers...  his commentary was fun and free in his Open moments too.

Every announcer gets bullshit here, but I have enjoyed Faldo and will miss his contributions to my entertainment.

Good post
Always a Faldo fan-both as a surgical player and announcer.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
It could also potentially be the last time they play on a classic Donald Ross course.

There are rumors that the PGA Tour is pushing hard to have Sedgefield let the Tour staff architect do a serious overhaul of the golf course -- level/flatten numerous greens to take out some of the slopes and add a bunch of bunkers flanking the fairways and greens. It sounds like the Tour essentially want to change it from a Donald Ross course to a random 1990s golf design. They could just call it TPC Greensboro.

Ugh..
what is so amazing is that the ONLY time tour pros struggle, is when greens have slope or tilt AND pins are placed there, requiring lower speeds, where an uphill putt requires a solid strike and a downhill putt is incredibly different.

Watching the scale of Muirfield in the Women's Open was wonderful.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 09:31:00 PM »
Ugh..
what is so amazing is that the ONLY time tour pros struggle, is when greens have slope or tilt AND pins are placed there, requiring lower speeds, where an uphill putt requires a solid strike and a downhill putt is incredibly different.

Watching the scale of Muirfield in the Women's Open was wonderful.

I get the impression that's the whole reason they want to take some of the slope out. I'm pretty sure they've complained before that it's too hard to find pin positions that minimize the chance of a three putt, because they want the players to have easy two putts -- which is silly. These are the best players in the world; there's absolutely no reason the greens need to be easier for them than regular member play.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 09:32:37 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 09:45:29 PM »
They would never say it out loud, but I believe the Tour's standard for weekly course set-up is that they don't want the players to have to aim a three-foot putt outside the hole, because the players don't want to have to grind over short putts week in and week out.

If that's the case, they should just avoid venues like Sedgefield, instead of actively plotting to sabotage it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 10:01:15 PM »
They would never say it out loud, but I believe the Tour's standard for weekly course set-up is that they don't want the players to have to aim a three-foot putt outside the hole, because the players don't want to have to grind over short putts week in and week out.

If that's the case, they should just avoid venues like Sedgefield, instead of actively plotting to sabotage it.

a 20 year old rookie played his last 71 holes in 252 shots.
Why on earth would they try to make short putting(or any putting) less grindy? ;D ::)

Kris Spence

Re: Watching this? New
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 02:35:54 PM »
Sedgefield has a wonderful set of Ross greens with an abundance of great hole locations, some of them are used regularly during the tour event but many are not. 

I certainly hope there are no plans to soften them to meet a standard for selecting hole locations for an event one week a year.  The membership loves them and has enjoyed the challenges and diversity they present for many years. 

I noticed last year and the first 3 days this year that the course was setup around 6,900 yards with a higher percentage of the “good stuff” used and the average scores went up considerably.  I found the shorter setup very interesting and thought it highlighted Ross’ creativity very well.

The young man who shot 27 on the front nine Sunday caught fire, he hit fairways, greens and putted lights out.  It’s possible on any course these days with the talent and technology available and is not a reason to alter the architecture of such a great old course in my opinion.

Sedgefield has taught me golf can be fun, interesting and quiet difficult without a lot of greenside bunkers and deep rough near green edges.  The combination of undulations, contours and slopes Ross put in those greens is sufficient to hold the interest of any player on any level. 

I deleted my original post as I was not sure of a name I used and felt I should not have done so, it was quiet a few years ago.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 06:19:22 AM by Kris Spence »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back