News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Principles of Golf Architecture Release Date
« on: July 28, 2022, 01:30:24 PM »
Guys,

I should have my new book, Principles of Golf Architecture, printed and in hand on August 10th.  I have been taking pre-orders for a few months through this link at my website:  https://www.golf-architecture.com/principles-of-golf-architecture.  For those who did not see the earlier thread about the book, The Principles of Golf Architecture intends to describe the details of the golf course design process as concisely as possible, first by defining both the Elements and Principles of Design in general terms and then relating these concepts to the art and science of golf architecture.

The first half of the book address the Elements of Design by chapter, beginning with Line, Space, Shape, Form, Texture, Color, and Scale.  I include the Element of Nature as the final chapter of the Elements section.  The Principles section begins with the most common principles of design that cross all disciplines, beginning with Balance, Rhythm, Contrast, Emphasis, Movement, Proportion, Unity, and Variety.  The remaining principles chapters are more related to golf architecture and include Randomness, Intention, Chance, Par, Visibility, Playability, Difficulty, Fairness, Penalty, Challenge, Quirk, Mystery, Angles, Direction, Definition, Connection, Subtlety, Simplicity, and Character.  The afterword covers the Principle of Trends.

The difference between this book about golf architecture and others is that it is more stream of consciousness and covers many different aspects of design rather than presenting more straight-forward chapters covering strategy, maintenance, greens, bunkers, tees, etc. The fact is that each Element and Principle of Design influence all aspects of golf architecture more than one thinks.

I will be featuring a chapter every few weeks accessed through my website, starting with Chapter 10, The Principle of Rhythm. Of course, this book is made for the treehouse here and I will be glad to engage in the many debates that will come out of the Principles of Golf Architecture like we did with the Principle of Quirk earlier this year.  The book sells for $31.00 plus shipping and handling.  For the time being, I am offering a package deal that includes The Legendary Evolution of Pinehurst for $66.00.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Principles of Golf Architecture Release Date
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 02:23:52 PM »
This sounds like something different, more philosophical and more detailed. Well done, Richard.

I too am getting fed up reading the copy repeat stuff about strategy etc…

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 12:29:24 PM »

Having read Rich's manuscript, I found it interesting and illuminating how he injected artistic principles into the kinds of otherwise commonplace golf discussions Ally aludes to. An example from the book:

"Balance is a Principle of Design few associate with golf architecture yet is used repeatedly by designers, whether intentional or not. Starting with hazard placement, for example, the mirroring of bunkers on either side of a centerline balances the landing area visually and strategically as well. It conveys a single, clear-cut route for the golfer to take with absolutely no question of strategic intent, providing a certain comfort to those who prefer not to think too much about strategy and options. Yet this is where symmetry in golf design clashes with how the Principle of Balance conveys a sense of comfort in other applications. Whereas there is a certain pleasure in knowing the proper route to take, there is a competing uneasiness in knowing there is indeed only one route to take. There is no question as to how to play the shot, but the question is, are you prepared for the penalty that comes if you fail? In golf architecture, symmetry and asymmetry affect strategy in a very profound way. Symmetrical balance (such as a bunker on each side of the line of play) is more akin to penal design, while asymmetrical balance (a central hazard along the line of play) is more reflective of strategic design."

This passage also reflects Rich's fondness for centerline bunkers...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 01:21:38 PM »
Please explain how and why you chose the cover art for your book.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 02:35:43 PM »
John,

For my cover, I wanted something that looked clean, crisp, and simple.  I also wanted an angle that was not the standard view from the golfer's approach.  We had this shot of the 15th green of my new layout at Braemar Golf Course in Edina, Minnesota and it seemed to fit the bill.  Brian Ross, a frequent contributor here, did a great job capturing this drone image a few years back when he was still full-time.

From a design standpoint, I like how the shot catches the spine that begins in the back of the green and then splits in two directions going to the front.  The split creates a low point pin location just beyond the sand bunker.  It's a great example of simplicity in design.  Finally, there is great, but subtle, contrast between the playing areas and the Oak Savanna area that surrounds the hole.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 02:55:16 PM »
All I noticed were the bunker shadows. I wondered what time it was and how the heights of the lips must differ. A nice choice.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 03:07:25 PM »
Thanks.  The shot was taken at 8:45 on an October morning.  The bunker to the left of the green (bottom of cover) is 4-5 feet below the surface of the green.  The front bunker (to the right on the cover) is three feet below the surface of the green.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »
8:45 on an October Minnesota morning. It's odd for me to find a picture of a golf hole moving. Does your book discuss how to leave easter eggs for photographers?

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 03:50:28 PM »
We drop the eggs from the drone.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
$31? Bought. Thanks.

The website itself could use a few tweaks. It's scrolled partly off the screen to the left, and more so if I reduce the window width.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
Will the books be signed?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 04:33:43 PM »
Erik, we will look into the website issue.  Haven't seen your order come through yet but I'll keep an eye out for it.  Thanks.

Carl, I'll be glad to sign the book, just note your request when you order it.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 04:40:43 PM »
Erik, we will look into the website issue.  Haven't seen your order come through yet but I'll keep an eye out for it.  Thanks.
I got a receipt for it, so…  :)

> You sent a payment of $35.00 USD to T. Eliot Press (richardmandell@golf-architecture.com)

And the site issue is pretty easy to see. Message me privately if you want some screenshots, etc.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 04:45:39 PM »
Will do.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 05:12:18 PM »
Just paid for it.  Will be a welcome addition to my collection.  Will read it multiple times.

In the check-out, I did not see a method of requesting a signature, but ok if that is not possible.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 05:15:47 PM »
In the check-out, I did not see a method of requesting a signature, but ok if that is not possible.
I'd take a signature, too, but I don't expect one as I realize those can be a pain. And this book cost a bit less than Tom's last one… (it'll probably weigh about 1/10th as much, too, ha ha).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 08:04:08 AM »
Erik and Carl

Signature request noted.  No problem.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2022, 08:12:05 AM »
Signature request noted.  No problem.
Thanks!
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 03:27:03 PM »
Guys,

Due to the increasing cost of international delivery of the books, please email me directly to arrange and pay for international postage before ordering the book through our website.  My email address is richard@golf-architecture.com

Thank you

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 10:16:44 PM »
Bumped. Easily purchased a copy using the link at the top of the thread.

Jeff Segol

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 06:29:00 PM »
Richard, I'll take a signed copy also, if you haven't sent them out yet.

Sincerely,
Jeff Segol

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »
Jeff,

Go ahead and order one on the website and we will ship it out:  https://www.golf-architecture.com/principles-of-golf-architecture
The books have arrived!

Jim Sherma

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »
I bought both books and they arrived on Monday. The printing looks beautiful and I'm looking forward to working through them after a quick pass through. Thanks again.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 03:07:09 PM »
Richard, is it for sale anywhere in the PH/SP area?
Thanks.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 03:52:43 PM »
Peter,

You can always come by the office to buy it at 2208 Midland Road or buy it at the Country Bookshop in downtown Southern Pines as well as Old Sport Gallery or the Old Golf Shop, both in the Village of Pinehurst.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back