News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Connor Lewis

TalkinGolf History on the architects
« on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:28 PM »
Thought I would announce that the TalkinGolf History podcast will dive into some additional golf architect podcasts in the near future.

- The History of AW Tillinghast (in the works)
- A special podcast on Walter Travis

I am also looking for historical experts on the history of James Braid’s career as an architect.

If you haven’t listened we do have the histories of: Harry Colt, Perry Maxwell, Alister MacKenzie, Walter Travis, Donald Ross & Seth Raynor.

Stanley Thompson, Herbert Fowler, George C Thomas (although the Fried Egg addressed Thomas’ history, I would need to make sure anything I did wasn’t redundant), Old Tom Morris (just his design work).

Any other suggestions?

Yours in Golf History,

Connor T.

PCCraig

Re: TalkinGolf History on the architects
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 10:54:32 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!
H.P.S.

MLevesque

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 07:25:56 AM »

Connor, I enjoy your podcasts.   A deep dive into Stiles and Van Klerk for us New Englanders and Langford and Moreau for mid-westerners would be interesting; highlighting some of the fun, but somewhat “off the boil” tracks these duos crafted.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:07:21 AM by MLevesque »
I am Skew!

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 09:02:28 PM »
How about a podcast on Dick Nugent?
H.P.S.

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 09:18:54 AM »

A deep dive into Stiles and Van Klerk for us New Englanders and Langford and Moreau for mid-westerners would be interesting

I'll second this pair. 

Love the work you do Connor.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Connor Lewis

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »

Connor, I enjoy your podcasts.   A deep dive into Stiles and Van Klerk for us New Englanders and Langford and Moreau for mid-westerners would be interesting; highlighting some of the fun, but somewhat “off the boil” tracks these duos crafted.

Quick Response: Absolutely!

My main issue is finding experts on their history. If you know of one or several I am all in.

I am embarrassed to admit this but I have never played a L&M or a SVK. Something I hope to remedy in the short term.

I took some heat for this on Twitter the other day when I made the comment that in all of golf the only thing that has the hope of the eternal are our golf courses. Their importance is undercelebrated in our game because they provide the drama…the stage for the greats of our game.

David Grady

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 01:06:56 PM »

I am embarrassed to admit this but I have never played a L&M or a SVK. Something I hope to remedy in the short term.

I'll third the recommendation, and if I remember a recent tweet, you certainly will remedy it. Despite the desperate claims of the Omaha CC crowd, it's primarily a Stiles course. Maxwell's later involvement was limited to changing the fifth and six holes from two par 4s to a par 3 and a par 5 and also reworking a few greens. The confusion about the course's history is compounded by Whitten /Cornish mistakenly listing Langford & Moreau as the original architects in their book. I grew up on and still play a Stiles (Haverhill CC) and my wife grew up at Omaha. I had played it dozens of times before learning about Stiles' involvement, but the routing similarities are striking.

My main issue is finding experts on their history. If you know of one or several I am all in.

Kevin Mendik wrote the book on SVK and I'm guessing he'd be happy to help you out.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »
Jack Nicklaus. A very long design career that seems to have gone through several evolutions; therefore, a potentially illuminating window into gca.

Ira

Connor Lewis

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »

I am about to enter into a series of podcasts on the history of golf architecture

Upcoming shows on the @talkingolf history podcast

Next up: The Rise & Demise of MacGregor Golf Part 2

- Following in the footsteps of Old Tom Morris

- The History of AW Tillinghast

- The Forgotten Designs of Walter Travis

- Rediscovering Askernish

- The History of Hugh Alison

- Lost Golf Courses (Part 1)

- The Maligned Architect - Tom Bendelow.

I am curious which is these podcasts appeal to you the most?

What podcast topics related to golf design and its history do you want to listen to?

Yours in Golf History,

Connor T.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 05:31:42 PM »
Wow!

But still feel that "@talkinggolf" is still missing a piece on Dick Nugent. Perhaps "How Dick Nugent brought the beach bunker to the Chicago suburbs"

I'd listen to that!

H.P.S.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 01:06:59 PM »
I listened to a few on a long drive when I ran through my usual playlist of podcasts, Connor. Overall, well done… I had to comment on one thing, though: your pronunciation of Seve Ballesteros. Please tell me you no longer pronounce it like "Steve" without the "t"?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 02:46:17 AM »

I am about to enter into a series of podcasts on the history of golf architecture

Upcoming shows on the @talkingolf history podcast

Next up: The Rise & Demise of MacGregor Golf Part 2

- Following in the footsteps of Old Tom Morris

- The History of AW Tillinghast

- The Forgotten Designs of Walter Travis

- Rediscovering Askernish

- The History of Hugh Alison

- Lost Golf Courses (Part 1)

- The Maligned Architect - Tom Bendelow.

I am curious which is these podcasts appeal to you the most?

What podcast topics related to golf design and its history do you want to listen to?

Yours in Golf History,

Connor T.

No question for me, H Alison.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 08:39:41 AM »
Connor,

I realise I'm biased on this as a member at Hollinwell, and not sure its of interest to many outside of the local area, but Tom Williamson could make an interesting podcast?

Tom was the greenkeeper, club maker and professional at Notts Golf Club between 1896 and 1950. Soon after Willie Park Jnr had designed the clubs new course at Hollinwell in 1901, he worked firstly with JH Taylor and then on his own to make changes to the course, and is very much the architect of the course we play today.
https://golfclubatlas.com/countries/notts1/

As an architect he was an early adopter of using Plasticine to model proposed golf greens, and he is said to have worked on every course within 50 miles of Nottingham, but isnt much known outside of this area. He did design a course in Switzerland, and was asked to make changes to Royal Dornoch shortly after the Second World War, but declined due to not wanting to travel that far at his age, so who knows how well known he could have become if he had?
https://www.hollinwell.co.uk/heritage/the-course-and-architects/

His first experience of golf as a young boy was seeing two Scotsman playing golf in a local park, well before the game was popular in England, and running after their ball to bring it back thinking he was doing a good deed! I believe he got quite a telling off for this! He started as a caddy and went on to work for the club for 54 years, played in every Open Championship between 1897 and 1947 (apart from the War years and one year when he was ill), is believed to be the first person to have numbered golf clubs, was a regular foursomes partner of the great Harry Vardon, hosted a match at Hollinwell playing against Walter Hagen, taught one of the best lady golfers of her era in Enid Wilson, and even fired a young Harold "Bodyline" Larwood as a caddy!
https://www.hollinwell.co.uk/heritage/tournaments-and-professionals/

I spoke to our clubs archivist Nick Jones who has recently done much research into Tom Williamson and he would be happy to be interviewed for your podcast if you thought this was of interest?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »

I spoke to our clubs archivist Nick Jones who has recently done much research into Tom Williamson and he would be happy to be interviewed for your podcast if you thought this was of interest?

Cheers,

James

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 07:00:19 PM »

played in every Open Championship between 1897 and 1947 (apart from the War years and one year when he was ill)
Cheers

James

He did what???

David Amarnek

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 07:04:19 PM »
William Flynn?

Connor Lewis

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 10:48:46 PM »
I listened to a few on a long drive when I ran through my usual playlist of podcasts, Connor. Overall, well done… I had to comment on one thing, though: your pronunciation of Seve Ballesteros. Please tell me you no longer pronounce it like "Steve" without the "t"?

A very fair criticism. My only excuse is that I am an idiot and idiots make mistakes in a live recording. I don’t remember which pod it was out of the 88+ and counting but I remember the error. If there is anything I can promise for certain is that I will make more errors. I have thought about editing them post recording, but that doesn’t seem genuine to me.

Many of my guests talk to me about worries of mistakes- I try to console them with horror stories like this one. What can I say…it happens;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:58:45 PM by Connor Lewis »

Connor Lewis

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 10:49:25 PM »

I'll third the recommendation, and if I remember a recent tweet, you certainly will remedy it. Despite the desperate claims of the Omaha CC crowd, it's primarily a Stiles course. Maxwell's later involvement was limited to changing the fifth and six holes from two par 4s to a par 3 and a par 5 and also reworking a few greens. The confusion about the course's history is compounded by Whitten /Cornish mistakenly listing Langford & Moreau as the original architects in their book. I grew up on and still play a Stiles (Haverhill CC) and my wife grew up at Omaha. I had played it dozens of times before learning about Stiles' involvement, but the routing similarities are striking.

Kevin Mendik wrote the book on SVK and I'm guessing he'd be happy to help you out.

I will buy it and reach out to him. Many thanks!

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 01:36:08 AM »

A very fair criticism. My only excuse is that I am an idiot and idiots make mistakes in a live recording. I don’t remember which pod it was out of the 88+ and counting but I remember the error. If there is anything I can promise for certain is that I will make more errors. I have thought about editing them post recording, but that doesn’t seem genuine to me.

Many of my guests talk to me about worries of mistakes- I try to console them with horror stories like this one. What can I say…it happens;)

Genuine?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 03:00:40 AM »
played in every Open Championship between 1897 and 1947 (apart from the War years and one year when he was ill)
He did what???

Yes, he played in every Open over a 50 year period, apart from 1909 when he was ill and the 5 years each with no competition due to the First and Second World Wars.

He was born in 1880 so he was 17 when he made his first appearance at Hoylake in 1897 when he came 37th and his last was 50 years later, again at Hoylake when he missed the cut.

In 1899 he came 9th at Sandwich which included a then course record 76. He came 7th at Hoylake in 1907 and 7th again at Hoylake (I think he liked the course?) in 1913. His best placed finish was 4th at Prestwick in 1914 and a 6th at St Andrews in 1921. He didnt make a cut from 1935 onwards but by then he was 55 years old, playing in his last in 1947 at the age of 67.

Considering this record, and that our old pro Brian Waites was the last club pro picked to play in a Ryder Cup in 1983, I'm beginning to think our current pro Mike needs to pull his finger out  ;)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back