News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Width With Binary Outcomes Along The Edges
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 03:38:38 PM »
In many circumstances a shot that’s 50 yds offline is bloody dangerous, which closely relates to another matter within the game, but I’m not going to get into that matter just now.
Atb

Jim Sherma

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 04:00:12 PM »
40-50 yards is a lot off line. A double cross where you're looking to move a ball 20 yards left to right and instead pull it 10 yards left and have it move another 10-20 is how I get there occasionally. It's not 50 yards off of my starting point, but rather off of my attempted ending point. the hole moved a little left to right and had a lion's mouth fronting bunker. Pin was on the right hence my plan to cut it up the right side of the fairway. If the greens were firm there would have been a at least some cost to being on the wrong side of the fairway.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »
Off line depends on where one was aiming. 50 yards off centre fairway is a bit wide in most circumstances, but not necessarily crazy. It's wild if corridors are 60 yards wide, 60 yard wide corridors should be a rarity though.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 07:32:39 PM »
Thick lost ball perimeters on both sides  tend to render preferred side strategy and centerline bunkers moot.
Players will aim for the center of the corridor
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Hancock

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2022, 08:21:34 PM »
Anybody mention topography, wind, etc. in this discussion yet? Most of the responses make me think that the “50 yards offline is a lot” comments are assuming calm conditions and flat terrain. Play somewhere where there’s much sideslope/ crosswind and you’re aiming offcenter already.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back