News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Thomas

Playing my first Stanley Thompson
« on: July 24, 2022, 06:29:41 PM »
Hey all...I will be playing my first and second Stanley Thompson courses in a couple weeks. The wife and I are taking a vacation to Banff and Jasper where she is graciously allowing me to play both courses. In doing a little research here on the site, I found a post about a book that Ian Andrew had written called In Every Genius. I emailed Ian, and the book is no longer available. While he did email me the link to most of the chapter on Jasper (which I greatly appreciated), I would like to read the whole book. Is there anyone on the site with an extra copy willing to sell, or maybe someone that is willing to let a fellow golf nerd borrow? I can assure you that it will be taken care of and sent back promptly. I appreciate the help.

Rich

Rich Thomas

Re: Playing my first Stanley Thompson
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:10:47 AM »
David,

Thank you for the link. I did see the book that you referenced but was initially more interested in the one by Ian. He has graciously sent me his working copy of the Banff chapter in a PDF. I may just have to order the Toronto Terror book as well.

Rich

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:13:48 AM »
The Toronto Terror book is interesting but it is far more about Stanley as a person and less about the courses.

Ian's book does a great job detailing how these five courses came about and has lots of photos, maps, routings, etc.

Ben Malach

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 09:20:26 PM »
Rich:

The only two things I suggest is that on the 4th at Banff you take a walk and play from the historic tee that is hidden down to the right of the white tees on a little forest path.

Then for Jasper, after you play I suggest reading Alister Mackinzes's letter to the club its an interesting read.

Also, I hope you have planned for the drive from Banff to Jasper to take the whole day as there are so many beautiful hikes and sightseeing opportunities on the drive.

Have Fun,

Ben
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Rich Thomas

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 11:00:08 AM »
Ben,

Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was a hidden tee box. I will definitely give that a go. As for the letter from Mackenzie to the club, is it in the clubhouse somewhere? The wife and I are taking a full day to drive up to Jasper and staying at the lodge there for a few days before heading back to Calgary. One day dedicated for the drive and things to do, and 2 more days dedicated to the area around Jasper plus my golf day. Should have plenty of time to enjoy the area.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 11:47:26 AM »
Taking that much time on your drive to Jasper, I suggest that you drive down Kicking Horse Pass  to Golden.  Only, a little more than an hour on one of the most dramatic mountain passes you can drive.  Go to Kicking Horse Ski area and take the gondola to the top and enjoy lunch at the Eagle Eye.  Highest elevation restaurant in Canada with incredible mountain views of the Purcell and Rocky Mountain Ranged.  Also, they have a Grizzly Bear, Boo, that you can observe in his 20 acre enclosure. 

Ben Malach

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
Rich:

Sorry about my late reply, I have been travelling a lot over the past few days. I believe the club should have a copy of the letter as I printed them a copy of it when I visited about 5 years ago. His account used to be posted on the Golf Week website. The link seems to now be dead. Which is a shame as I didn't download a copy.  Also, don't skip the drive and viewpoint at Peyto lake. Its a once in a lifetime view.

Robert:

I disagree as the drive to Golden is a very long detour as the road is very treacherous and sees a lot of rock falls that slow traffic. Considering that to make this work he must drive it twice in one day. I would bet a good chunk of cash that on one of the trips there would be a slow down due to this or a scared driver. As the road is very tight and has 150'-200' drops around tight curves.

This is in contrast to the amount of easily accessible hikes and routes on the Columbia Parkway. Heck, I could spend a whole day on the ice fields or at least an afternoon at Honeymoon Lake. But, what do I know I am just a good ol' southern Alberta boy. Talking about things a few hours from the dirt I grew up on.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 04:20:19 PM »
I guess I got lucky on the drive n 2017.  In the winter in February , I tend to drive quite often from Golden to Lake Louise depending upon ski conditions, and especially to avoid -15-20F temperatures that Lake Louise and Sunshine get.  Kicking Horse is the greater mountain, but gets really windy with poor visibility, and the powder gets skied out.  Where as Lake Louise preserves the powder behind the Top of the World and Summit Chairs.  This past winter's road construction didn't really hamper the drive, but I can see how things can jam up near the bottom of the pass.  I still think it is one of the most remarkable roads to drive.  I drive Rogers Pass to Revelstoke as well, and I have had avalanches delays quite a few times. Ben, as a local, it is easy to forget that you have some of the most beautiful mountain roads in the world--incredible enough for me to drive from San Diego and spend February there!

Ben Malach

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 05:01:49 PM »
Yeah, you probably did get a bit lucky as I drive that road a few times a summer to go to friends' cabins in the interior of BC. It is very common to see rock falls. I can't wait until the new road opens in a couple of years as it will have a little more room to avoid these problems. I honestly love driving up there it's why one of my favourite songs is " Hurtin Albertan" by Corb Lund as it describes this area perfectly. I am now on the road for work the majority of the year so my time spent here is limited but I make sure to carve out some time to go to the mountains. 

I can see all of that honestly it's why over the past couple of years I have been doing my skiing out of the more southern hills of Castle Mountain, Fernie and Kimberly. The snow is normally just as good if not better but the temperatures are a little warmer and conditions are just as good without as much of the problem with them getting skied out as quickly. If I am skiing in Banff, I am at Norquay. Which is just a gem of a hill although the terrain is very aggressive.

I still need to make my way to Revelstoke for a winter trip as I haven't been there since they started to upgrade the resort. Shoot me a message next time your up. It is always fun to ski with new people.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 02:27:48 PM »
 8)  Concur on trying the old tee at Banff's 4th...

Lake Louise is very nice to take in, but don't dwell there, the ride up to Jasper is spectacular, love the Canadian Rockies much better than the USA's, you feel like you can almost reach out and touch them...

please report on how The Bad Baby treats you at Jasper.

Enjoy
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Rich Thomas

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
Just a quick update...Banff Springs...absolutely loved it. I was supposed to play on Thursday, but the weather looked pretty bad (cold and rain) so I was able to get out on Wednesday. Nice day, just a little breezy. I decided to walk, and was glad I did. When I got to the first tee, I was paired with another walker, who was a member. It was nice to have a member show me around a bit. I can see why everyone wishes that the old routing was still in tact. That hike up to 15 tee was no joke, but what a way to start off a round!. And that stretch to start the back 9...holy cow was that tough. I played 10-14 into a 2 club wind, and loved every minute of it. I was fortunate enough to make more birdies than bogeys on my way to a 2 under 69. I think my favorite hole was #10 with the Bow River front and right of the hole. #4 is a much better hole from the old tee by the way. Thanks for that little tip.

We did end up leaving Banff early and went to Golden for a couple days. Wish I could have worked a round in at the local course there, but the wife would not have been to happy I'm sure. Headed to Lake Louise and Jasper tomorrow and playing Jasper Park Lodge on Monday. Not sure what this "Bad Baby" is, but I'll let you know how it treats me.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 12:06:01 AM »
Bad Baby is the par 3 15th. 
On the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper take time to stop at Athabasca Falls.

Rich Thomas

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 12:11:38 AM »
Bad Baby is the par 3 15th. 
On the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper take time to stop at Athabasca Falls.

Just looked it up. It almost looks like it might belong on the Bad Little 9 in Scottsdale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back