News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

‘How the f— do you play this?’ - Anstruther's 5th
« on: July 22, 2022, 12:09:25 PM »

‘How the f— do you play this?’ Why this brutal par-3 torments even the pros
https://golf.com/travel/anstruther-brutal-par-3-torments-pros/

cary lichtenstein

Re: ‘How the f— do you play this?’ - Anstruther's 5th
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 03:11:36 PM »
Aim way right as the ball will go left. I had this shot early on my first trip to Ireland, with a right to left 40 mile an hour wind. I thought I aimed and hit it perfect, at the top of the balls flight, the wind took the ball and dumped it in the ocean. Never hit a 60 degree shot light that in a severe wind again
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 10:05:53 PM »
Am I wrong or is Anstruther in Scotland and home of what is supposed to be the best fish and chips in Scotland? The course is a nine holer with crossing par 3s which is unique and made it worth playing but the food is the best part of the town.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:02 AM »

Am I wrong or is Anstruther in Scotland and home of what is supposed to be the best fish and chips in Scotland? The course is a nine holer with crossing par 3s which is unique and made it worth playing but the food is the best part of the town.

Correct.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
Aim way right as the ball will go left. I had this shot early on my first trip to Ireland, with a right to left 40 mile an hour wind. I thought I aimed and hit it perfect, at the top of the balls flight, the wind took the ball and dumped it in the ocean. Never hit a 60 degree shot light that in a severe wind again
Anstruther's 5th is way, way right from anywhere in Ireland.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 11:28:02 PM »
Anstruther's 5th is way, way right from anywhere in Ireland.

And it would take three well struck 60 wedge shots to reach the green. This is one of the most vicious holes I have ever played.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 03:53:57 AM »
Once upon a time even on tee shots players used to work the ball into slopes and/or into the wind with the objective of the ball holding its line and/or landing softly.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 05:56:59 AM »
Once upon a time even on tee shots players used to work the ball into slopes and/or into the wind with the objective of the ball holding its line and/or landing softly.
Atb

Yes, well, this hole is different 😎.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 04:33:35 PM »
Atb

Yes, well, this hole is different 😎.

Ciao
Indeed.  I cannot believe anyone, not even plus handicappers, plays this as a par 3 in competition.  Iron, wedge and hope to 2 putt/get up and down.  A 4 beats 90% of the field.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 05:00:43 PM »
Atb

Yes, well, this hole is different .

Ciao
Indeed.  I cannot believe anyone, not even plus handicappers, plays this as a par 3 in competition.  Iron, wedge and hope to 2 putt/get up and down.  A 4 beats 90% of the field.

Even as a par 4 I reckon its difficult. The 5th is a WTF hole in the very best way it can be.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 05:08:13 PM by Sean_A »

Emil Weber

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »
Played it on my most recent trip and had exactly the same thought. In really firm conditions, even a layup with a fade is hardly an option, because balls will bounce left towards the rocks. I tried to hit a soft cut with the driver for fun, pushed it out right and was extremely lucky to end up on a mown patch that leads from near the 4th tee to the 5th green. A lob and two putts saw me walk away with a lucky 4, but that could have easily turned into 17 aswell. 6 and 7 can also easily wreck a card. I'd be so scared if I had to play those holes twice in competition...

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 04:33:47 AM »
Do folks think touring pros would take this shot on or lay up?

Ciao

Emil Weber

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 06:40:45 AM »
Do folks think touring pros would take this shot on or lay up?

Ciao

My guess would be no, they would (intentionally) bail out right near the 4th tee and then rely on their precision with the steeply downhill, potentially blind pitch/lob and take their 1 or 2 putts.

James Reader

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 12:31:51 PM »
Played it this afternoon straight into a strong wind.  In those conditions it might be the most difficult hole on the course to make a 5 on, let alone a 3!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 11:58:14 AM »

Correct      went there after the Open     great food.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

archie_struthers

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 08:20:43 PM »
 ???

This post is so cool for me given my family hails from south of Aberdeen, not too far north. Maybe I had a family member involved which explains my crazy love for golf , it's all genetic ;D

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2022, 02:44:58 AM »
???

This post is so cool for me given my family hails from south of Aberdeen, not too far north. Maybe I had a family member involved which explains my crazy love for golf , it's all genetic ;D

Aberdeen is almost a hundred miles from Anstruther. I know that isn’t far in American terms but in the Scotland of 1890 it might as well be the moon
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back