News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Madison

Re: Interesting Holes: Holes with two greens
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2021, 05:45:32 PM »
One of the holes on the front nine at Mayacoo Lakes in West Palm Beach, Florida has two small adjacent greens. Not sure if this is a true story or an urban legend, but the explanation I once heard is that Jack Nicklaus, who designed the course, once played the hole in it's original configuration, when there was just one green. He made a very easy birdie and the next day was seen on a piece of equipment bulldozing a trench right up the middle, splitting the putting surface into two separate small greens.

Jeff Kallberg

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2021, 08:21:47 PM »
#2 at Scotland Run (Ault):  sharp dogleg left, with one large bunker between that comes into play for both greens, left green set back about 20 yards deeper than the right green.

Jeff Kallberg

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2021, 08:50:34 PM »
One of the holes on the front nine at Mayacoo Lakes in West Palm Beach, Florida has two small adjacent greens. Not sure if this is a true story or an urban legend, but the explanation I once heard is that Jack Nicklaus, who designed the course, once played the hole in it's original configuration, when there was just one green. He made a very easy birdie and the next day was seen on a piece of equipment bulldozing a trench right up the middle, splitting the putting surface into two separate small greens.

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

David_Madison

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2021, 09:36:43 PM »
Anthony - Are you familiar with the story about the 6th green being split? Do you know if it was originally a single green and then Mr. Nicklaus literally himself cut into two or was it always intended to have two separate greens?

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
Barefoot Fazio, Bulls Bay, and Oyster Bay were all already mentioned as courses I've played with holes with two greens -- the Love Course at Barefoot also has a hole with two greens, though. The 11th hole is a short par 3 with two very small greens, one to the left and one to the right. I assume it's to reduce overall wear and tear since they are so small.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
Doesn't Sherwood Forest have two greens on one of their par-3's.
atb

PS - as slight aside there are two parallel par-3's on the 1st-9 of the OTM course at Rosapenna.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2021, 04:59:39 PM »
#2 at Scotland Run (Ault):  sharp dogleg left, with one large bunker between that comes into play for both greens, left green set back about 20 yards deeper than the right green.

Jeff Kallberg

Scotland Run is Stephen Kay.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2021, 05:42:44 PM »
Anthony - Are you familiar with the story about the 6th green being split? Do you know if it was originally a single green and then Mr. Nicklaus literally himself cut into two or was it always intended to have two separate greens?

No sir. I am not aware of a story behind it.

I believe there is one at Trump National DC, #10. Another Fazio

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dave Givnish

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2021, 11:49:52 PM »
All 18 at Desert Mountain Renegade.

Whitemarsh Valley #5 used to have 2 greens, and those were replaced with a single. There was a bunker between them. Hitting the wrong green made for a high score generally.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2021, 12:11:14 AM »
Chambers Bay #5 used to have two greens.  The first was a drivable par 4.  The second is about a 460 yard hole.  Before the 2015 US Open the drivable green was taken out.  At the same time the hole lost its width.  Not sure who made those decisions (USGA?) but it lost something unique.

The guy who did that now fancies himself a golf course architect.  ::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2021, 12:48:22 AM »
My home course, Orchard Hills in Washougal, WA has two greens on the second hole. The stick diagram of the original routing had the hole running to the location of the third tee. I assume they wanted to lengthen the third hole, so they routed the second hole to be a button hook, or fish hook hole. So the new green is built back into the trees making it be played as a two shot hole, whereas originally it would not have been difficult to reach the green from the tee with less than a driver.

There is also a small round green straight away from the two tee, and lying just short of the three fairway. I do not know the origins of this green. When I joined the club it was used as a temporary in the winter as water will drain off of it, whereas the regular green has a significant low spot that water will collect in. I suspect it might have been put in place as a temporary before the new second green area was cleared of trees, shaped, bunkered, and grown in. It also was used as a grass nursery when I joined the club, but since then grounds has developed a much larger nursery out of play on the back nine where more real estate is available. Once the club became paranoid about golfers walking on frozen grass when a frost hits, this green was no longer used as a temporary in the winter, and a temporary hole was cut in the fairway just like on the other holes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Whitmer

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2021, 08:58:01 AM »
Jack Nicklaus built two greens on the 11th hole at Country Club of the North, located southeast of Dayton. It’s a straightaway par 5. Pretty much the same distance, but the left green is about half the size of the right green.

Tom Fussell

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2021, 12:46:25 PM »
Weiskopf built two greens at the par 3 fifth hole at The Club at Rock Creek in Coeur d'Alene, 199 yards and 236 yards to the further of the two.  Pretty spectacular view of the lake off to the right.   As I understand, this was the second course originally built for the Black Rock club across the street, but the economy at the time dictated it be sold, and is now a stand alone club.

Nice flyovers of the entire course on the club's website, and I will never forget spotting "Bullwinkle" the local moose on the back nine, nor the the club's homemade "elk jerky" served at the comfort stations thruout the course. [size=78%] [/size]

Phil Burr

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2021, 01:25:15 PM »
I was unaware of two greens at CC of the North, but it makes an interesting bookend in the Nicklaus portfolio to #13 at CC of the South in Atlanta.  Although the hole is always described in a singular tense (i.e. one green bisected by a creek), if you have to cross a bridge between different parts of the green it’s more than one green in my mind.

Gallery Golf Club (North) outside Tucson not only has two green on #15, but also has a 725 yard par five at #9.  Daly supposedly reached it in two, which would have been far more impressive 20-25 years ago when the course was new than it would be with today’s technology.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
In asia many courses have two greens on every hole.  The course I played in Korea had two greens on every hole.  They would alternate the greens but there was one set that was used much more frequently.  Some courses would have greens with different grasses for summer/winter.

Jeff Kallberg

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2021, 08:00:10 PM »

Jeff Kallberg

Scotland Run is Stephen Kay.

Thanks for the correction!  Insufficiently careful reading of Google is to blame.

Jeff

Rich Thomas

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2022, 07:56:11 PM »
No. 9 at Mountain Falls in Pahrump, NV.

I was scrolling to see if anyone mentioned Mountain Falls. In addition to #9, they have 2 greens on the par 3 17th, and then the 18th has 2 distinct sections that plays as 2 separate greens but are connected making it one big green

Charles Lund

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2022, 02:13:08 AM »
Tokyo Golf Club had two greens per hole, one for winter and one for summer, at one time, with different grasses.

I played there in April, 2018, during the Gil Hanse renovation.  Both greens were being retained, but there was an innovation in grasses that allowed a newer grass to be used that was suitable in winter and summer.  So the greens could be switched year round.  The renovation also involved adding new tees, so some holes could conceivably be played quite a few different ways and with different lengths.

Charles Lund

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2022, 06:03:11 AM »
I am actually considering building two greens on the 11th at Dornick Hills as a result of this thread.

Maxwell’s original hole was a dogleg right, but he moved the green to the left later on.  My recommendation was to restore the original, but it’s a very steep green site so the green would have to be very small there.  Since both green sites were Maxwell’s, maybe we’ll build both?
Tom, could you offer an update on this?
The club's website seems ambiguous whether the work is complete or ongoing. Thanks.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2022, 11:13:12 AM »
Streamsong Black no. 13
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mike Hendren

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2022, 03:53:40 PM »
The first one shotter at Idle Hour has two greens- one in a dell and the other perched.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2022, 05:10:58 PM »
#8 at Bonneville in Salt Lake City, an old William P. Bell design. The upper green, which has quite a bit of movement in it and two distinct tiers, sits to the left of the fairway line and is partially blocked by a stand of trees. The lower green is straight on the fairway line and is a flat circle with one bunker.

Both are used, I'm not sure of which was first but I'd guess the upper based on the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back