News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: OT. Giving putts
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
I’m in the Z flight of the club championship but it’s still a competition. My opponent was down 3 on 14. He had a tricky 3 foot putt to win the hole.  I made him putt it. He missed and was upset with me.

I realized tonight that I use this indicator for judging whether to give a putt. 

Could I miss it ?

I read once that Arnie & Jack used the standard, "If you can make it, take it" and let's move on...

My dad used to kid me with "real men don't take strokes, play it out before I give it to you!"

I had previously thought that it was personal, i.e. your acute case of lock-jaw and disrespect for my command over the flat stick.  It now seems that in your case Steve, it reflects honor to your father; in Mayday's, a character trait that I can appreciate, a belief that rewards are earned, not given.

BTW, my psychologist tells me that your comment about erratic "micro-movements" as I take the putter back was likely an expression of caring rather than an attempt to get in my head.  Whatever it was, I've been thinking about it over the last seven months and only recently learned of a possible solution, better posture, particularly with the shoulders.     

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2022, 04:02:12 PM »
Watch the Open this weekend and see how many 3 footers are missed and also the comeback putts

Try this: bet any of your friends 100 or $1,000 that they can't make 100  3 footers in a row. No sane person will take your bet
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

mike_malone

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2022, 07:27:01 PM »
If I have to think then putt it.

Jim Coleman,

From what I hear you’re very liberal with gimmies.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:35:11 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »
This brings to mind one of Bob Huntley’s favorite sayings: “millions for cancer, not a penny for lockjaw!”
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Lou_Duran

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 04:37:40 PM »
Come to think of it, I heard Bob say "Pity" many more times than "pick it up".

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2022, 06:53:58 PM »
My regular group includes the only two men in America who are worse putters than I am. Our Circle of Friendship is quite liberal - otherwise it is simply too painful to watch.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bruce Katona

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2022, 08:12:07 PM »
I was the recent guest of a 3 day member guest.  On the last hole of one of our matches, a par 3, I went long into the bunker at the back of the green. I hit the perfect sand shot, with spin and left a very tricky 24' uphill, very left to right putt for the par, sandy and to win the match.  I did not expect our opponent to concede the putt, though on a $2 Nassau it likely would have been given so we could all stop for a drink.

My putt caught the downhill chump side of the hole and spin off.  The clean up was conceded for 4 and the match halved.  Been  while since i missed one that short.......can we say GAG - though I can laugh at myself for it.

Steve Lang

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »
 8)  LOU, I thought you wanted the full Memorial Park experience! 

When we see you again at the WCC, there'll be Sr. MGA venue appropriate concessions... AS NEEDED

... and I leave the Combat Golf (PSYOPS) to Ms Sheila, after all, she met the author, Capt.Bruce Ollstein in the St Louis Airport hawking his book many moons ago during her travels and got some inside knowledge along with a signed copy for me... there's a reason she won multiple match play Championships!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:35:54 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2022, 08:25:59 PM »
I was the recent guest of a 3 day member guest.  On the last hole of one of our matches, a par 3, I went long into the bunker at the back of the green. I hit the perfect sand shot, with spin and left a very tricky 24' uphill, very left to right putt for the par, sandy and to win the match.  I did not expect our opponent to concede the putt, though on a $2 Nassau it likely would have been given so we could all stop for a drink.
I assume you meant 24".  :D
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

mike_malone

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2022, 10:38:01 PM »
I assume you meant 24".  :D

I won a closest to the hole because some indicated feet when they meant inches. My 31 feet beat his 32 inches.
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2022, 07:52:49 PM »
When confronted with requests for given putts, I generally say, sure, as long as I can drop my next drive out 280 in the fairway...

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bruce Katona

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2022, 08:53:08 PM »
yep   24"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2022, 09:07:15 PM »
Some people never learned how to properly tend a pin in the exact manner that I prefer. Good riddance to that.

archie_struthers

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2022, 09:45:47 PM »
 :P :P :P

They don't walk in !  He should man up or not play in the event.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back