News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re: OT - Back
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »
I can only speak from my personal experience which made me very skeptical of orthopedists.  I was having severe pain from my back down the front of my leg so bad that I could not stand or lie down - sitting was the only position which gave me relief.  Got an MRI and an epidural and then a second epidural which gave me complete relief.  Went to recommended orthopedist who scheduled me for fusion surgery.  I then went to a pretty young neurosurgeon at Duke University hospital who had a a long discussion with me and I told him what was scheduled and he was shocked.  He looked at the MRI and said there was no obvious place he could point to as the source of the pinched nerve which was giving me pain so where would they be doing a fusion.  He then said that the epidural had worked so why would anyone recommend surgery when I was not in pain.  He recommended seeing how long I would go without pain, if the pain came back then try another epidural.  If that did not work then do a nerve study to see exactly where the pinched nerve was so they could be certain where and what was to be done. As I understand it the pain comes from the nerve that is pinched or pressured which can be from a number of sources. Luckily I haven't had a reoccurrence of the pain and I am glad I did not go through with the recommended fusion of my back.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 07:20:24 PM »

That lunge looks like one that is incorporated into my favorite Sean Vigue video: [size=78%]10 Min Yoga for Men Beginner Routine - Easy Men's Yoga Workout - Best Yoga Workout for Dudes - YouTube[/size]

This is a great start to the day. I had done this every morning for 4-5 days since you posted this video and I felt great. This morning, I got caught in the rush of "getting back" after July 4th, and I did not use this routine, or any routine. 5+ hours in the car and my back is sore/tired but not in pain tonight. Thanks for posting this video routine. It is a perfect 10 minute start of any day - golf, hiking, driving, working... for me.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »
Cervical disc surgery 23 years ago, no lumbar (knock wood). Probably already mentioned but find some kind of stretching regimen you like well enough to do religiously. Gyrotonics, Pilates, Yoga--which ever works best for you.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 04:36:56 PM »
On a related note, I've been getting back into golf this summer with a few range sessions, (with hope to get a few rounds in before the end of the season) and thankfully my back has responded better than expected so far.

Does anyone have a few basic stretches they would recommend for restoring some of my upper body flexibility?

Thanks in advance

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2022, 08:18:13 PM »
you might try Paxil, it works wonders for my flexibilty and stiffness

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JLahrman

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2022, 09:57:42 PM »

That lunge looks like one that is incorporated into my favorite Sean Vigue video: [size=78%]10 Min Yoga for Men Beginner Routine - Easy Men's Yoga Workout - Best Yoga Workout for Dudes - YouTube[/size]

This is a great start to the day. I had done this every morning for 4-5 days since you posted this video and I felt great. This morning, I got caught in the rush of "getting back" after July 4th, and I did not use this routine, or any routine. 5+ hours in the car and my back is sore/tired but not in pain tonight. Thanks for posting this video routine. It is a perfect 10 minute start of any day - golf, hiking, driving, working... for me.

Glad you liked it Mike, and I need to start doing it more frequently again. We extra-long guys need to take care of each other! I found that one several years ago, just did some generic search on "yoga beginner back stretch" or something along those lines, and that result came up. I've tried a bunch of Sean Vigue's routines but I always come back to that one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 12:23:08 AM by JLahrman »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 10:48:49 AM »
you might try Paxil, it works wonders for my flexibilty and stiffness

Thanks Cary,

I think i'll try that Beginner Yoga stretch routine too....just as long as I don't end up converted into some cult or something.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back