News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cal Carlisle

Re: Golf In Scotland, In The Black & White Era
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 02:58:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Dave!

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 04:04:23 PM »
Ordered mine on Sunday.  Not gonna be here for almost a month.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 07:14:40 PM »
Ken

If its the book I'm thinking about it is already in the shops over here. Hopefully you won't be disappointed but a lot of the pictures are of players and crowd scenes from the 1960's rather than a lot earlier. Not bad if that's your thing but not great if you're looking for pictures of the courses from before then.

Niall

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:58:40 PM »
Ken

If its the book I'm thinking about it is already in the shops over here. Hopefully you won't be disappointed but a lot of the pictures are of players and crowd scenes from the 1960's rather than a lot earlier. Not bad if that's your thing but not great if you're looking for pictures of the courses from before then.

Niall

I read Shack's interview with the author, and didn't expect it to be really old photos.  They're all from the newspaper archives in Dundee.  He did say he had aerials from the 40s onward because the RAF pilots took photographers up in hope of alleviating complaints. He said he has a chapter with pictures from 1955, '57 and '78.

He did say that in the '40s there might be 40 negatives in the archives, but by the 70s there were avalanches of material.

FWIW, this image alone got me to order it. I made dozens B&W photographs and printed them myself back in the 70s, so I have a special love for them.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:00:49 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back