News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

The LIV Tour and caddies
« on: July 02, 2022, 07:19:57 PM »
So far all the chat has been about the players and nothing about the caddies. Does anyone know if the players that have gone to LIV taken their regular caddies with them and if so how are they getting paid ?

Do they get a % of the big guaranteed payments ? That doesn't seem likely to me. Do they instead get a % of the prize money which in itself is guaranteed ?

Or perhaps because they are so good, "characters" in their own right and so integral to the players winning, maybe they will get huge signing on fees themselves ?

And finally are they also getting banned from caddying on the PGA and DP World Tours ? It would be a tragedy if that happened.

Niall

Kalen Braley

Re: The LIV Tour and caddies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 07:44:07 PM »
Niall,

From the article David posted in the other thread.

How are players taking care of the rest of their “team” in this era of inflated purses? Most caddies and swing coaches to LIV players are getting the same percentages as always, which means 10 percent of a victory this week is worth a cool $400,000 to the looper. “I’ve heard a little grumbling from the players,” Agent D says, “but there has been so much talk about quote unquote player greed that I think they are sensitive to not squeezing anyone right now. I do expect that at the end of this season some percentages will get adjusted.”

Just terrific, players getting insane money now, and only two events in they already grumbling about having to share the piece of the ginormous pie under the same terms as before.  Holy hell, just despicable...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/an-inside-look-at-how-the-money-works-on-liv-golf-phil-mickelson-brooks-koepka?utm_medium=email&utm_source=070222&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM29269&uuid=9861c6da148243648f1aa92679fb32a0

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »
A tragedy? Really?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 04:08:56 AM »
Are the caddies allowed to use range finders on the LIV to speed up play? Anybody know the avg time for an 18 hole round on the LIV? Maybe if the LIV only played 9 holes each round they might be more attractive to the viewing market? ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 06:34:19 AM »
Yet still very little mention of charity by LIV Tour.
Is there amy?
And if there is why is it rarely mentioned?

The article starts with a disturbing generalization/quote  about professional golfers.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 09:21:20 AM »
Are the caddies allowed to use range finders on the LIV to speed up play? Anybody know the avg time for an 18 hole round on the LIV? Maybe if the LIV only played 9 holes each round they might be more attractive to the viewing market? ::)

::)

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 09:22:29 AM »

Maybe more interested in golf, than virtue signalling?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:38:08 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 12:50:07 PM »
Is there amy?

The article starts with a disturbing generalization/quote  about professional golfers.

They donated $1M, here. Equivalent to a 4th place finish.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »
Is there amy?

They donated $1M, here. Equivalent to a 4th place finish.

I was wondering if anyone would take it. Maybe they should send a billion or so to the 9/11 foundation.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 08:26:38 PM »
Is there amy?

Why should there be tour charity? Can't those associated with LIV donate to charity on a personal basis?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
Charity is the secret weapon of the tour. They do what they want, when they want, where they want on many of the finest courses in the country by simply repeating the mantra. It’s all for the children.

That’s why their only arguments against the LIV float on a river of crocodile tears. Every week their is a new moral conundrum to chew on. Bedminster will not disappoint.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 07:24:41 AM »
Is there amy?

Why should there be tour charity? Can't those associated with LIV donate to charity on a personal basis?

Ciao

I'm merely surprised LIV hasn't employed contributions as a PR move.
They've bought quite a few minds already-seems with such a large budget that matching the PGA Tour's contributions with a small (by percentage of total cost) outlay would help them with their appearance of cleansing.

edit:just saw where LIV donated 1M to local charities

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:43:52 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »
They haven’t won my mind. They are another entertainment option for mobile devices that I choose to enjoy. Next time I’m feeling roudy I’ll go to Buffalo Wild Wings and see if I can get the LIV on the big screen. But not today, today is America’s day!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 07:53:38 AM »
Next time I’m feeling roudy I’ll go to Buffalo Wild Wings and see if I can get the LIV on the big screen.

That should be easy given the next site.
If they can it turn away from America First network.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 07:58:49 AM »
I’m a huge wrestling fan. There is a chance that this evil vs good thing will work.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 08:07:15 AM »
I have to admit that I expected more from my progressive Portland budwrinkles than “Let’s go Brandon” chants. I’m sure New Hersey will not disappoint.

archie_struthers

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »
 8)

Going to chew on the caddy pay issue for a bit, I retired too early for sure!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »
John is of course right on this one.  If LIV continues on its current path, its inevitable they will be on at least one network sooner than later, and then the PGA Tour will really be crapping it proverbial pants as the sponsors/advertisers start abandoning ship.

And as much as I hate to admit it, a LIV event with a much larger % of big names is going to be more interesting than watching an off week PGA Tour event (which seems to happen more and more these days) that has one or two big names playing...

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 01:12:18 PM »
I have to admit that I expected more from my progressive Portland budwrinkles than “Let’s go Brandon” chants. I’m sure New Hersey will not disappoint.

First of all, Pumpkin Ridge is just north of a lumber town of 3,400 people.  Oregon has a history of extremist ideologies of all types.

The world is complicated and people look for simple answers to impossibly complex problems.  That makes people easy to manipulate, and the political and economic moneyed interests know just what to do.  It's all falling apart, and many of the doctrinaires are brainwashed to believe that we still live in the land of plenty.  The odds are overwhelmingly against a return to sanity.  My recommendation is to stop bitching and get working. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »

First of all, Pumpkin Ridge is just north of a lumber town of 3,400 people.  Oregon has a history of extremist ideologies of all types.

The world is complicated and people look for simple answers to impossibly complex problems.  That makes people easy to manipulate, and the political and economic moneyed interests know just what to do.  It's all falling apart, and many of the doctrinaires are brainwashed to believe that we still live in the land of plenty.  The odds are overwhelmingly against a return to sanity.  My recommendation is to stop bitching and get working.

Love the use of anger. Thanks.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 02:20:49 PM »
Notice that LIV is going up against Quad Cities and Detroit. Put a "tournament" up against Memorial or Bay Hill and lets see what happens.
Be the ball

Pat Burke

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2022, 02:25:23 PM »
Notice that LIV is going up against Quad Cities and Detroit. Put a "tournament" up against Memorial or Bay Hill and lets see what happens.

Starting a new business and going head to head seems questionable.

Much like the pga tour throwing money at bonus pensions in the fall to bribe the better players to play later in the season, LIV looked for openings of weakness to fill and hopefully attract better players. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2022, 02:32:44 PM »
 8)  Have to be happy for the LIV caddies, nice gig if you can get it, can't wait to read about it on endless social media clickbait!

I suspect at this point that any venue area donations are probably best kept quiet, following the actions speak louder than words maxim, big PR just adds fuel to the sportswashing fire...  hey, it worked for John Daly 

I don't remember DP being accused as strongly about their sportswashing with $200,000,000 funding the Euro rebranding into the DP World Tour's purses... which PGA is now apparently giving another bump to by their recent actions...

As Pat P says, he'll take care of family and caddies & coach(s) are family...  I'd leave the family alone, now the agents... that's another issue

Play on 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 02:35:54 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Rob Marshall

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2022, 06:46:07 PM »
To bring this somewhat to topic, obviously caddies won’t be banned but what about the amateurs turning pro on the LIV tour? They have never been members of either tour. I would assume they could qualify for either tour down the road.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back