News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - Royal Dornoch Set To Create History
« on: July 01, 2022, 12:05:08 PM »
Hosting the British Senior Amateur for both men and women next week. The first club ever to host both events at the same time.

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/sport/royal-dornoch-golf-club-is-set-to-create-history-next-week-280163/

Garland Bayley

Re: OT - Royal Dornoch Set To Create History
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 12:55:55 PM »
How will such a small village be able to accommodate all the spectators? ;)
What if the haar rolls in? ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 01:12:38 PM »
"How will such a small village be able to accommodate all the spectators?"

Garland -

The bigger problem is just accommodating the almost 300 golfers who will be in town next week for the tournament! There are not enough beds in town these days.

DT

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 04:47:04 PM »
The Coul Links fiasco has lasting impacts.  Four of the B&Bs I've patronized NLE.  In two cases, the ladies were at the age where the bother was too difficult and their kids had no interest in returning to the village to run things.  With no distaste for manufactured housing as in the U.S.- the ubiquitous Caravan Parks- maybe FEMA can sell an enterprising Scot a couple thousand mothballed trailers left from various hurricanes.  One of our friends stayed in the park close to the Coul Links site and he liked it.  With a bowl of hot cereal (rolled oats) going for £18 at the Royal Golf Hotel last October, I can imagine that the "Faulty Towers" rooms will fetch a huge premium.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 07:20:13 PM »
Good God Lou!!
A bowl of porridge (rolled oats) for a measly 18 pounds!! To place that on your table for breakfast must have cost all of a shilling......"rolled oats" tastes like "rolled gold" (please note reference to Rolling Stones double LP) to me.
Enterprising Scots, enterprising Scots! Whew .... I'll particularly enjoy my gruel this wet and chilly morning in Oz!
Orra best, Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 08:27:54 PM »
It’s probably economical similar to what the USGA did a few years ago with the mens and womens Open at Pinehurst.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »
Colin,

Oz as in Australia?  Will be making my maiden voyage there this coming January.  I've been looking forward to playing Royal Melbourne for nearly 50 years!  Fortunately (or not), I have managed to whittle down my bucket list to just a handful, and RMGC is #1.  Four rounds there should whet my appetite.

As to Dornoch, a fellow member and I rented a condo next to the club last fall for a week.  His bout with the pricey porridge on the first morning prompted a trip to the Co-Op for breakfast provisions.

I'm a big fan of rolled-oats, one of the few meals my wife considers healthy for me.  I load it up with an artificial sweetener, a banana,  walnuts, raisins soaked in gin (supposedly lowers blood sugar and cholesterol), and a bit of skim milk.  I then  ruin it all with a peanut butter and jelly half-sandwich,     

James Brown

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 03:22:25 PM »
Will be a stretch for hosting such a big event for sure.  I was in Dornoch this week and one of the caddies told me there are about 140 total hotel rooms in town plus the local AirBnB rooms.  Add in Tain and Golspie and Brora and you get there, but just barely. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 10:43:06 PM »
When I play Royal Dornoch, I stay at Tollie B&B near Dingwall, and the proprietor's husband drives me to and from golf. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 12:17:06 AM »
"How will such a small village be able to accommodate all the spectators?"

Garland -

The bigger problem is just accommodating the almost 300 golfers who will be in town next week for the tournament! There are not enough beds in town these days.

DT

the caravans
It's all about the golf!

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 03:27:00 PM »
Former US Mid-Am champ and Walker Cupper Mike McCoy is the leader in the men's event after round 1. He was 4-under on the Championship course (playing with a set of borrowed clubs as his own clubs are "missing in transit").

Both the men and the women are playing one round each on the Championship and Struie courses before the cut that will reduce each field by more than half. The last 2 rounds will be on the Championship course.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:29:42 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back