GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Does DECADE demand an architectural response?

<< < (15/15)

Ben Hollerbach:

--- Quote from: Buck Wolter on July 18, 2022, 05:06:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Scott Warren on July 18, 2022, 04:57:28 PM ---“This tweet has been deleted”.

Pretty standard Scott Fawcett areas, both the incoherent rant and the resulting deletion.

--- End quote ---

It was a picture of the shot tracer lines from 17 tee showing a shotgun variation of drives -- my guess is the image might have run afoul of somebody.

--- End quote ---
Did the tweet only cover the spread of the drives? That sounds like half the equation. Was there any talk about scoring difference between drives played down the right side of the hole vs. the left? It would be great to know if chasing an angle down the right truly was a fools errand this week, or if there was a representative disadvantage in playing it safe down the left.

Tom_Doak:

--- Quote from: Ben Hollerbach on July 18, 2022, 08:08:31 PM ---Was there any talk about scoring difference between drives played down the right side of the hole vs. the left? It would be great to know if chasing an angle down the right truly was a fools errand this week, or if there was a representative disadvantage in playing it safe down the left.

--- End quote ---

Ben:

You could get that if you have access to the PGA TOUR's Shotlink data.  They show where every tee shot landed each day of the event, and the dots are color-coded to whether players made birdie or par or bogey.  Whenever I'm working on a course that hosts a Tour event, I am looking at those dots to see if (a) players do better from one side of the fairway and (b) whether players are favoring that side of the fairway because they know it's an advantage. 

I've seen a lot more of (a) than of (b), but, the average Tour venue is not as nasty around the greens as the major championship venues are.  It makes a lot more difference at majors, especially regarding second-shot misses.  But not that many players sort through it all.

Erik J. Barzeski:

--- Quote from: Ben Hollerbach on July 18, 2022, 08:08:31 PM ---Did the tweet only cover the spread of the drives? That sounds like half the equation. Was there any talk about scoring difference between drives played down the right side of the hole vs. the left? It would be great to know if chasing an angle down the right truly was a fools errand this week, or if there was a representative disadvantage in playing it safe down the left.
--- End quote ---
There was not, and one of the responses pointed out mockingly "math is hard" or "yeah, why worry about what numbers have to say?" or something like that.

Scott is mostly right that the angles don't matter… but ignores when they do: when the ball is rolling. And the ball was rolling at the Old Course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version