GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Does DECADE demand an architectural response?

<< < (2/15) > >>

Peter Pallotta:
Dave: a good topic, in many ways - thanks.
I've come to suspect that great golf courses have an internal logic and self-referential unity that has little to do with how we play the game.

Kyle Harris:
The entire point of golf is to integrate with as little of the golf course as possible.

Are you really *playing golf* if any action you take is other than lower your expected score for the hole? DECADE is as much about managing those expectations based on what you can do as it is about going low.

Tom_Doak:
I thought a lot about this when we worked on Memorial Park.

In the end, what makes the golf course tough is the combination of Bermuda rough with unpredictable lies, and greens that approach shots run away from.

Strategically, there is little that you can do to move the needle.  The one thing that these systems don’t respond well to is a hazard in the middle of the fairway - in essence they have to treat it as a cross bunker.  But some players are so sold on the system that a hazard that doesn’t compute is harshly criticized as unfair, the same way you would talk about a big cross bunker right in your landing area.  Some young players seem to believe that the right to a 60-yard target area is inviolable!  I wouldn’t make any of them a favorite at The Old Course.

Cal Carlisle:

--- Quote ---Some young players seem to believe that the right to a 60-yard target area is inviolable!
--- End quote ---

Great word.

Luke Sutton:
The 70% risk will not do much with Decade players… none will take the bait. You are taught in Scott’s Decade class to never take the bait unless you have a 90% chance of pulling it off. Jack would have said 100%.

I do have some ideas for taking this out of the game thru design but it would make for terrible golf courses. Like Tom said with cross bunkers. One of my ideas was to have ZERO fairway from 220 off the tee until 50 yards to the green. You can always make the landing areas in the 290-350 range 10 yards wide with impossible bumps and tall grass (bunkers would make it easier not harder). But for the old guys who are there in two this is a terrible design. Maridoe in Dallas comes to mind when I think of theses ideas but not to the extreme I’m talking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version