News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Carlucci

Happenings on Long Island - Spy Ring GC and The Rock
« on: June 28, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »
This spring I had the opportunity to tour a new course being built in Setauket (northern Suffolk County) called Heritage Spy Ring Golf Club, which will be part of a new luxury-rental development built on the grounds of the former Heatherwood Golf Course, a 1960s-era executive-length 18.  It's a nine-hole course designed by Tyler Rae, and the developers haven't been shy about their high aspirations -- they think it will join the ranks of the destination-type nines that have popped up around the country, including Sweetens Cove.

Rae said the course is designed to play firm and fast, which immediately sets it apart from Long Island publics.  Pandemic delays provided Rae's team the time to strip off the topsoil and leave behind nothing but sand.  They built a lot of elevation into the site -- #3 is a downhill par-5; #6 a par-4 with a punchbowl green; #7 a par-3 with a plateau green fronted by four bunkers; and #9 a plunging par-5 where tee shots can run out.  Internal contours and funneling, open approaches and plenty of pinnable space will allow for the ground game, according to Rae, who told me the focus is on fun.

Also of note is the reopening of the course formerly known as Great Rock, which closed in late 2019 after several seasons of neglect.  It has been rebranded as The Rock Golf Club under new owners who also have a stake in nearby Baiting Hollow. 

I don't think Great Rock was ever covered in much detail in this forum, but it's also rather unique in the local public-course rotation.  It has the feel of a course you'd find in upstate NY or New England -- it plays over almost mountainous terrain, with very few flat holes.  It tops out at 6,250 yards but feels longer with many holes doglegged up the slopes.  The signature 10th is a dead-uphill par-4 where the namesake rock towers over the green.  Greens are among the fastest on the Island (public).

The new owners spent the past 18 months focusing on turf health and reversing the damage left behind by the previous group.  The course was essentially left to nature in its final 2019 season, with barren facilities and little to no maintenance.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

MCirba

Re: Happenings on Long Island - Spy Ring GC and The Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 10:58:09 AM »
Thanks for the update, Phil.  Are they close enough in proximity for a twofer?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 12:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the update, Phil.  Are they close enough in proximity for a twofer?
They are only ~15 miles apart, but on a main road that is typically a slog.  Time it right and you might get from one to the other in under a half hour.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »
The lone golf image posted to the Spy Ring website is rather...interesting?

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
The lone golf image posted to the Spy Ring website is rather...interesting?

Yeah, that rendering doesn't really do the course justice. 

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 02:14:36 PM »
I used to live not far from Great Rock and played it many times - always enjoyable.
Be the ball

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 02:47:42 PM »
Attached are some construction photos from the Spyring project this past April/May.  My shaping partner and I put together the bunkering and helped finish the greens.  This project was close to home so I happily stayed on longer than I have in past constructions and I even drop seeded all 9 greens!  The golf course is mostly on pure sand except for holes 1 and 2 (near the roadway rt347). 

Tyler did an admirable job with the constraints of the project given by the developer, but also for being at the helm of a new public golf course in this area, with real architectural interest.  He built some really cool golf holes and green complexes, which should shine considering their size and subtle contouring.  All the holes are strategically engaging but mostly the course features a variety of short to medium length par 4's,  two par 3's which demand accuracy, and two very different par 5's.  Tyler has posted some things on his social media, I expect more to come as the course grows in this Summer.  The last I heard was an opening scheduled for the Fall 2022.

7th Hole - Par 3

3rd Hole - Par 5

8th Hole- Par 4

I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 12:45:10 PM »
Here's what I wrote about Spy Ring earlier this spring.  Photos are from just before the course was seeded.  I was there again last week and it's growing in nicely.
https://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2022/05/coming-soon-heritage-spy-ring-gc-long-island-sweetens-cove.html

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 11:25:54 AM »
Nice article Phil, you have beautifully described the playing experience golfers should expect at Spy Ring.  I'm sorry I hadn't read it before posting. 

Also, I appreciate what you do, following public golf.  I grew up playing the NYC muni's and have also had the occasional sleepover in the Bethpage parking lot. You have a new follower ;)[size=78%] [/size]
www.steingolf.com

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 07:23:29 PM »

7th Hole - Par 3

3rd Hole - Par 5

8th Hole- Par 4

Jeffrey,

Trying to be constructive, I can't see these. I am on a Safari browser.

Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 11:17:47 PM »
Mike,

Try this link to view the photos, I also added a few more.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J5DucJK8CUqXh7X38

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue, but I tried to viewing the post while signed into the safari browser and noticed the same problem, no photos... 

I'm hosting the photos on google and don't seem to have an issue while using the chrome browser.

www.steingolf.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back