GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Is there any doubt Oakmont is the hardest course in the world?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Mark_Fine:
Joel,
I have played Oakmont a dozen or more times.  No question it is a tough track but you might want to play it a few more times before drawing your conclusion.  I tend to play it pretty well, horses for courses, but regardless of how difficult you think it is, the course is simply outstanding and inspiring to play.  Obviously a better golfer will enjoy it more but it is playable.

Colin Sheehan:
While Oakmont is indeed a monumentally difficult championship test of golf, it isn't as penal as a few courses out there, courses with way more lost ball, out of play opportunities that are as long, if not longer. The Blessings Course at University of Arkansas, Karsten Creek at Oklahoma State and Rich Harvest Farms are three that come to mind. They also happen to be three relatively recent hosts of the NCAA D-1 Men's Championships.

When Oakmont hosted the U.S. Amateur last summer, a player from Harvard finished second after the 36 holes of medal qualifying and broke 70. How hard could Oakmont be?

Keith Phillips:

--- Quote from: Colin Sheehan on June 27, 2022, 08:39:59 AM ---While Oakmont is indeed a monumentally difficult championship test of golf, it isn't as penal as a few courses out there, courses with way more lost ball, out of play opportunities that are as long, if not longer. The Blessings Course at University of Arkansas, Karsten Creek at Oklahoma State and Rich Harvest Farms are three that come to mind. They also happen to be three relatively recent hosts of the NCAA D-1 Men's Championships.

When Oakmont hosted the U.S. Amateur last summer, a player from Harvard finished second after the 36 holes of medal qualifying and broke 70. How hard could Oakmont be?

--- End quote ---

we need a 'Like' button

George Pazin:

--- Quote from: Colin Sheehan on June 27, 2022, 08:39:59 AM ---When Oakmont hosted the U.S. Amateur last summer, a player from Harvard finished second after the 36 holes of medal qualifying and broke 70. How hard could Oakmont be?

--- End quote ---

:)

Depends on how you define hard. It’s certainly hard to score on, but in talking with others, I think you learn to score better the more you play it. I’d guess it always leaves you feeling like you could’ve or should’ve scored a little better.

My trip ‘round was a delight, even though I played about as badly as I can play. I’ve come to realize that was mostly nerves - my hands were literally shaking on the first tee. I whiffed, in fact. 1 awful and 6 ok shots later, I tapped in for triple. Considering 2 shots were awful or worse, that’s not that hard, I think.

And that’s kinda how my round went. My awful shots were indeed awful, but would’ve been awful anywhere. At least I could find and play them. My other shots were mostly fine. And more than a few resulted in memories I will never forget.

Mostly, I just felt really bad for my caddy, Rick. My wonderful host said he’s the best caddy at Oakmont. He had to have been frustrated at my inability to follow his helpful suggestions. I think I did make him say wow twice, the good wow, not the bad one. That he probably thought a hundred times.

Keith Phillips:
Played Oakmont once, in a one-day member-guest 20 years ago.  It was a shotgun and we started on 8, the long par 3.  I started with a double then played lights out (for me) - I was a 14, shot 84 and we tied for first in the member-guest.  Easy-peasy!

As someone known to spray the ball, I find many courses more penal - maybe not 'tougher' but definitely more penal.

Oakmont is my favorite inland golf course.  It will be fascinating to see what Gil does with this masterpiece.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version