News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Merion West
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:24:17 PM »
 ???

Hey guys need a little input on the best way to play Merion West .  Played it a long time ago but maybe an analysis of the holes from a couple experts might do me some good

Remember the drop shot par three and the short but tricky par four for sure ....also remember that I loved how some of the greens faded into the next tee
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:50:11 PM by archie_struthers »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Merion West
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 11:26:33 PM »
Haven't played there in years. Here is tour from Joe Bausch:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Merion_West/index.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:50:51 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »
Archie,

Attack the par fives.

Play the other holes as cautiously as possible.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 10:26:32 AM »
They don't do the wicker baskets?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 11:32:14 PM »
Archie,

I haven’t played Merion West, but will say there is something cool about how the clubhouse and parking lot is right on the street making it feel like the place is a neighborhood course that anyone can play. Kind of reminds of places across the pond or something like the Winterpark 9 in Florida. Just drive up, pay your green fee and play away!

Have fun!
Tim Weiman

archie_struthers

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 09:23:49 AM »
 8)

Thanks guys...playing there Thursday in a GAP event. JB's photos always help.   Been so bad the last five years that I went into "double secret" practice sessions and starting to hit some shots a little better.  Will enjoy the competition for sure !

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »
grab a burger there, killer good.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
Really fantastic track, the first few holes are sort of meh, but once you get to the way downhill par 3 it gets fantastic.  A lot of fun, movement and a good variety of holes.  The hole following the first par 3 is as good as you will play.  18 is super hard to pick a line off the tee, further right than you think if I recall is the play.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »
grab a burger there, killer good.

Genuine ask? I only remember a Snickers Bar and maybe a beer?

The West has burgers? This is going to upset Mayday!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Dan Boerger

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 08:54:13 AM »
The 5th hole on the West course is, IMO, one of the top holes from both courses. Just tons of movement, and one very imposing tee shot. For a number of years we played the West, East and then Aronimink in one day. Slept well that evening.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
One hole there always stands out to me. I believe it is 11. It heads uphill to a fabulous green. It would be one of the top holes on the East course.
AKA Mayday

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 09:04:09 AM »
All of the par 3s are excellent, with great variety.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 12:12:04 PM »
There are 8 consecutive par fours 7-14 and because each is so different from the last you don’t notice it.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

D_Malley

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 11:33:50 AM »
played the west hundreds of times, some days we would get in 54 holes and we were not allowed to start until after 1100am. Lots of birdie/eagle possibilities but also some very strong par 4's

some great variety of holes from the short and quirky stretch of 6-7-8 and then right to the strong stretch of par 4's at 9-10-11. Good luck getting your tee shot in the fairway on #14 and the approach from the rough is very difficult, a very under rated hole.

#5 may be the hardest par 4 on either course,
Tom Doak built a very similar hole at the new course at stonewall, but i think the one at stonewall is a short par 5 (not sure what #)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 03:58:44 PM »
At a gathering of golfers last summer, one (which shall remain nameless!) fellow that grew up close to Merion West said he was a "fence member"!

A real highlight of my life was playing Merion West back in 2009 with Jack Whitaker.  The lunch beforehand on the veranda and hearing his stories was priceless.

Archie:  I love the mix of 1/2 par holes there.  And the routing is just terrific.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back